• Pain with an echo?

Posted by brittany-foster on February 28, 2019 at 2:56 pm

I just had an echo done as part of pre evaluation for a (hopeful) upcoming surgery. I never realized how sensitive my body is to the echos. There was one spot in particular that really bothered me near my rib cage.

I have lost quite a bit of weight since having to have a PEG tube put into to my stomach to get nutrition until they figure out a surgical plan or some type of plan for me.

Do you ever experience pain during an echo? What are some of your sensitive spots during the exam? Do you let the tech know before they begin the exam so they are extra gentle ? Have you ever had to stop the test because of pain?

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • diane-enriquez-chung

March 9, 2019 at 2:14 am

Hey brittany,

I thought I was the only one that had pain during an echo. But then again, I know few people with as much medical problems as me, besides everyone in here. 🤗 Years ago the woman doing my echo was doing an ok job for the most part… because nothing was worrying me. Towards the end of it, she put the device (for the life of me, i can’t recall the proper term for that. 😂😂 sorry) in the middle of the lower part of my chest, in between my rib cage. Then she was pressing down really, really hard and twisting the device. It was hurting because she was pressing soooo hard. She told me to hold my breathe and I was holding back tears until she stopped. I told her it hurt. But she had to do it again. She finished the echo and left the room so I can change. The pressure she put in my chest hurt so bad that once she left the room, I had to cry a little bit while I put my shirt on. 😞 I think it was just her because every other one I’ve had didn’t hurt as bad. That middle part of my chest felt soo sensitive though. Even with the other techs that I’ve encountered. I thought I was a weirdo. 🤪 Glad I’m not totally alone.

😁 Diane

• brittany-foster

March 10, 2019 at 4:54 pm

Hi Diane,
      That experience sounds so uncomfortable for you and I’m sorry that you had to go through that. It is so unfortunate that even when we speak up about our discomfort, sometimes we still have to endure it in order to get the right images and the best pictures. I hope you do continue to speak up though and even let the techs know of your discomfort and pain in that area beforehand so they can go as gentle as possible ! You’re not alone !!!

• carol-volckmann

March 12, 2019 at 12:20 pm

Hi Diane,
    Echo should not hurt or cause pain. A couple of hears ago I had a technician really hurt me when she did my echo to the point I felt bruised. I thought it was because I had lost weight and she had to dig just below my ribs. Well I was so wrong – I talked to my doctor and to another technician and was told echos should not hurt at all – it be a little uncomfortable becsuse of your position but certainly not hurt! Make sure you do not have that same tech next time or if the tech is hurting you tell them right then and if it continues ask for another technician. Seriously! Please take care of yourself and be strong. Lots of hugs
    Carol

• brittany-foster

March 12, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Thank you for the feedback Carol,
      unfortunately, in my case, I have smaller “windows” so in order for the techs to get a good picture for the doctors and to see what they need to see, they have to press a little harder than normal and give me warning in advance but it still doesn’t help! Luckily I have never bruised from it, I think it is a sensitive area in general because of past surgeries to my chest.

• carol-volckmann

March 12, 2019 at 2:00 pm

I am sorry Brittney – you have and continue to endure so much. My heart goes out to you for your courage and your heart felt compassion for others being there for all of us. I truly hope you are taking care of yourself emotionally (I know you take care of yourself medically) and I hope you do reach out to others when you need a shoulder and some comfort.
    Hugs for you and all you do!

• brittany-foster

March 12, 2019 at 3:23 pm

Thank you so much Carol,
      Honestly, it has been really hard emotionally especially while being in pain and waiting around to hear about a surgery date and a finalized plan (which probably will be finalized even days before the actual surgery). The unknown is so difficult. I love all of the support that I have received on here through this forum and the great connections that I have made and continue to make with our members and people like you. I have been trying my best to take care of my mental health and taking breaks from things in my life that require me to exert myself (like my job as a nanny) and have good distractions throughout the day to get me through this next month. I also go to talk therapy which is really helpful but lately has been hard for me to even talk though some of the difficult emotions that I’m experiencing with all of this. I am going twice a week now though which has been better than just once.

• dori-herrick

March 12, 2019 at 4:50 pm

I do experience pain during Echo for a few reasons. First, I have issues with pain in my rib joints and sternum area due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia. Second, I am prone to more discomfort is because I am a heavy person;so they must press down a little harder to get a good image through the fatty tissue.
    However, even with these factors, the pain should not be a distressing level as others indicate above. If it is unbearable, speak up. Sometimes the techs aren’t aware of how hard they are pressing, and will ease off a bit.

• brittany-foster

March 12, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Hey Dori
      I definitely have learned to speak up about pain! It is helpful knowing they are doing all they can to minimize the discomfort. Those reasons certainly make sense to me why those areas would be more painful for you during the echo. Do you take anything before to help with the discomfort of it or to ease the pain a little ?

• carol-volckmann

March 12, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Hi Brittney,

Talking through our emotions – that is do very difficult but so very important. We need to find a person/persons we feel absolutely safe with. I hope you have found that and feel comfortable in letting your emotions out.

Are you comfortable in sharing the surgery that you are facing?

You are in our thoughts (my husband and self as he is totally a part of what I am going through).

Sending you positive,warm thoughts with gentle bugs,
    Carol

• brittany-foster

March 13, 2019 at 8:28 am

Hi Carol,
      I am not 100% sure of the details of the surgery but it involves my aorta. My aorta has been compressing my esophogus and I have been throwing up any time I try to eat or swallow something for the past 4 months. I had reflux for 10 years that was treated with medications but never helped. They did a CTA and swallow study and saw the compression and narrowing that would cause all of these symptoms for me. I am getting the surgery done by a heart transplant surgeron who also specializes in aortic repairs. It will be an open heart surgery most likely (or some variation of that). I am waiting to hear back this week regarding a date and possibly more details. I know the surgeon wanted to discuss and get input from trusted colleagues because mine is an “unusual case” as they put it. It’s one things being a “medical anomoly” but it’s even scarier being that when you’re about to undergo a major operation. I know they are on the right track and I know I will feel so much better after this. I have had a PEG tube (tube in my stomach) because of not being able to eat and all the vomiting. It has been very painful and awful.

I have people to talk to who I trust and who are really good but it gets frustrating when people don’t understand what I’m going through and I don’t expect anyone to personally “get it” but it can bring out my anger when they try to understand it but they’re just not.

• carol-volckmann

March 13, 2019 at 12:42 pm

Dear Brittney,
    It certainly sounds like you have the best medical team behind you and want to ensure that this surgery will be a gsme changer for you. At the same time when you know your case is such an anomaly, it had to be scary and when you try to share this and folks just do not understand is extremely frustrating for you. Must people just do not know what to say (oh, you will be just fine…) and what you need them to understand is that is very scary for you and what you need is their compassion for you and a hug!

When I was really down snd in tears a friend stood by and asked me ” what do you need Carol?” All I could think was I need a hug can’t you see that – I said this to myself and not to her thinking she should be able to see what I need! She kept asking till I finally said out loud “I need a hug!” Without knowing it, she taught me a valuable lesson .
    . Is to take responsibility and let those people who care about you known just what you need from them.

Brittney please know there are many who love and really care tho may not be able to show it and need you to let them know what you need.

Sending love and support always and do let me know if I can be of any help.

❤❤

• brittany-foster

March 13, 2019 at 12:48 pm

Thank you so much for the kind words Carol. I guess in these moments I definitely do just need a hug because there isn’t anything that anyone can “do” or “say” in these moments that are going to make things any better for me. People’s presence is enough for me. Like just sitting and watching movies with me or just being in my company is enough. Sometimes it truly is hard or even impossible to express what I need because half the time I DON’T even know myself lol! You’re right though, sometimes all you need in those moments is just love and to know you’re loved. Thank you for such kindness, always !

🙂 Brittany

• carol-volckmann

March 13, 2019 at 1:36 pm

You are very welcome. You will be in our thoughts snd prayers- if any time you would like to talk real time i will send you my phone number.❤❤❤

• jimi-mcintosh

March 14, 2019 at 12:03 pm

An ECHO can cause some pain if a liquid contrast is used, it is radioactive isotope and some people have an allergic reaction to it.

Changing the subject to share a new Medical issue. A week ago Tuesday, I awoke and felt worse than usual. My son noticed that the right side of my mouth and right eye were drooping. He thought that I had a stoke in my sleep.
    My doctor via phone thought the same thing and I was told to go to
    The ER. As I was waiting for the EMT, my daughter came in and asked if I had numbness on the right side any weakness
    I replied that other than a terrible inner ear ache, pounding headache on the right side, drooping eye and mouth, I was OK. She said that I had “Bell’s Palsey”

I had heard of it, do not recall seeing it. Looked it up, there it was. You exhibit, stroke like appearances , drooping eye, mouth, slurred speech, inner ear ache, headache. Believed to be a viral infection of cranial nerve, causing inflammation. Believe related to lupus and immune diseases. No known cure, can last a week to several months.

Please look up symptoms, it looks a lot like a stroke, do not hesitate
    Getting medical attention. Potential side effects is dry eye, runny eye, can reoccur, nasal drip, slurred speech. Treatment steroids large doses.

I am thankful that it wasn’t a stroke and I am here to share it with you. My grandmother always said, after every storm the sun will return to shine

“Bell’s Palsey”, heard of it, never recall seeing it.

• kathleen-sheffer

March 14, 2019 at 12:37 pm

I’m sorry you had this scary experience with Bell’s Palsey! Do you mind if I quote you on a new topic about this condition? I wonder if anyone else has had an event like this.

• brittany-foster

March 14, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Wow Jimi!
      what a scary experience this must have been for you and all of those who were there with you. Especially with your history of conditions and having PH. These are definitely the signs of a stroke. I have also have signs of a stroke that were due to a complex migraine which thankfully I got less of when I had a bypass surgery done to restore bloodflow to my brain (which before was the reason for the migraines being as bad as they were). My cousin had this happen to her from Bells Palsey so I know how scary this can feel for the person experiencing it as well as those who see it happening because it totally does look like a stroke ! I’m glad they took the proper precautions for you and I hope that you make a good recovery. Thinking of you!