Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups PH and Co-Existing Conditions PH and problems with blood pressure?

• PH and problems with blood pressure?

Posted by brittany-foster on January 13, 2020 at 11:20 am

Has PH has any impact on your blood pressure? What does a “typical” blood pressure reading look like for you?

I am currently at the doctor and have had an awful migraine and just feeling that “out of it” and “brain fog” more than normal. Even responding to users here has been just slow for me. At the doctors when my blood pressure was taken it was 90/45 which is very below normal for me, especially that diastolic number. I know this may be the reason why I am feeling so off. I could possibly be getting dehydrated but it feels a little more than that.

What is your usual blood pressure? Is this looked into by your doctors or managed by your medical team?

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • tricia-stagner

January 14, 2020 at 11:17 am

I am new to your forum. My Bp is usually around 110/80. I know when I start to get light headed , that my bp is low. I usually have to sit until this dizziness goes away.i was just at my doctors the other day. He was concerned with my echo results. He said my heart function is still like it was 18months ago. My heart functions at 20-27%. But he was mostly concerned with my lung function. In his words it has gotten considerably worse in this 18 months. My lung pressure went from 40% to 60%. He told me not to do anything strenuous but I can do som slow stretching or chair exercise.
    I hope your bp gets under control. Thank you for this forum!!

• brittany-foster

January 14, 2020 at 11:57 am

@pebbles thank you for contributing and being a part of the forums. I hope that topics like this will continue to help you feel less alone in what you are experiencing. I am sorry that you received difficult news at the doctors with your most recent echo. Have they started any new treatments or any new ways to monitor you and keep a closer eye on things? Hearing about a decline is always hard. How have you been doing with processing it all mentally? I know that the mental toll all of this can take can sometimes feel more overwhelming than the physical. Feel free to chat here about any of that any time. I know there are so many members that will be able to relate to you.

• Colleen

January 14, 2020 at 6:35 pm

We are happy that you joined us @pebbles and that you jumped right into the discussions. I’m so sorry that you have been experiencing a decline in your health. If I may ask, are you eligible for transplant? What treatments are you currently taking?

• jimi-mcintosh

January 14, 2020 at 10:17 pm

My norm is 135/95 resting, usually lower once BP meds start working. I take 5 different meds to control
    My BP, limited in using some of the newer meds, because of kidney issues.
    My BP was better controlled adcirca and tyvaso, but it was affecting my kidneys.

PH is related to pressure in the lungs, but is affected by overall BP objective is to get and keep it in the normal range to minimize damage to heart, arteries, kidneys and liver. I know my weight has an impact, but I am unable to exercise.

• brittany-foster

January 15, 2020 at 1:01 pm

Jimi,

This definitely seems like a double edged sword for you. I know that on one hand you want to be able to workout and maintain that part of your lifestyle but having PH really can limit that and what you are physically able to do. Have you talked with your doctors about trying to get into some type of pulmonary rehab program to find some type of regimen that may work for you? Especially if you are thinking that weight loss may help some of your symptoms and your BP.

• jo-ann-white

January 16, 2020 at 11:54 am

Right side pressure high left side low normal so it is a balancing act. Had to stop amlodipine after starting tadalafil because together they lowered left side pressure too much.

• jo-ann-white

January 16, 2020 at 11:57 am

30 minutes of low level aerobic exercise really does help me to maintain. Pulmonary rehab says that is more important than any other exercises. I cook a lot now so I don’t sit for extended periods.

• brittany-foster

January 16, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Jo Ann,

What is the reasoning behind the differences in the blood pressure from the right and left arm? I had this at one point and it was due to a condition called subclavian steal syndrome. It was more than a 20 pressure difference between both sides. It caused me a lot of migraines and dizziness because of these fluctuations. I ended up needing a bypass surgery for it.