Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Research and Development PH Patient with COVID-19 Treated with Inhaled Nitrous Oxide (iNO)

• PH Patient with COVID-19 Treated with Inhaled Nitrous Oxide (iNO)

Posted by jen-cueva on March 27, 2020 at 12:51 pm

I read this informative yet interesting article about a PH patient with COVID-19 who was treated at home with inhaled Nitrous Oxide(iNO). This is interesting because this is an inhaled nitrous oxide. Although this is an investigational treatment, it was used as an emergency for this PH patient. The part that is nice that it can be administered at home, and the inhaled treatment is portable.

NO is often used to help dilate the blood vessels in the lungs in PH patients.

Hopefully, we do not hear of more PH patients testing positive for COVID-19, but this could possibly save lives. Have you read this article? What are your thoughts?

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

March 29, 2020 at 5:16 pm

Hi Jen ,

This is the first time that I am seeing this article. Really informative and hopefully this treatment could help a lot of others too. I have been given some type of nitrogen type injection before to dilate the blood vessels during my heart cath. Not sure what was given, but it seemed to help. My vessels were really hard to even get the catheter into so I remember them using something like this, I think it is the IV form of what they give to patients that are suspected of having a heart attack with they have chest pains. Is it nitroglycerin? I think that’s what it is. Is this similar to that?

• jen-cueva

March 30, 2020 at 12:09 pm

Hey @brittany-foster, yes, I hope that some PH patients will benefit from this.

As far as your heart cath, I think that you get nitrous oxide, maybe? People usually do take a nitroglycerin tablet under the tongue for chest pains. I am not allowed to take that because of my low blood pressure. I think most PH patients are told not to take it. If they give it to you, I would think maybe a small dose to try and relax your blood vessels some.

• Brittany Foster

March 30, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Yes, I think that’s what it was. I know it wasn’t something that was inhaled. it was something that was given through the injection to help relax and dilate the blood vessels so they could go in there with the heart cath. I am slightly worried about my port cath placement on Friday because I don’t know whether or no I will be awake or put to sleep for this. Maybe conscious sedation but still “out of it”. I just don’t like to remember much of what is going on, especially if they are making any incisions which I know for the port an incision needs to be made.

• jen-cueva

March 31, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Hey @brittany-foster, I would hope that they give you some type of sedation. I don’t blame you for not wanting to know anything while they are placing the port. Please advocate and let them know about the sedation. Some are placed with just a local. You want conscious sedation. I am just glad that they are finally doing it. How is the PICC line going?

• Brittany Foster

March 31, 2020 at 3:26 pm

@jenc it’s going pretty well so far. I started my first round of hydration and therapy today. So far it is pretty easy to set up. The only thing that I will have to get used to are the daily heparin injections to keep blood clots from happening while I have the line. This is something that is new for me as well as having the IV and line in the first place. It definitely will take some getting used to. Hopefully the port is still a “go” for Friday, but it looks like the doctors are making sure that I have the necessary testing done before it gets placed so that they make sure it is in the right position. I guess better safe than sorry though!

• Colleen

March 31, 2020 at 3:37 pm

@brittany-foster the heparin injections are a necessary evil. I’m hopeful that your port will be placed on Friday and without issue. Thinking of you!

• jen-cueva

April 1, 2020 at 11:27 am

Hey @brittany-foster, glad to hear that all is going well. Those heparin injections are no fun, but necessary as Colleen says. Are they having you hold them today before the port placement tomorrow?

It is rough when you have no fat, and they are just doing it in your belly anywhere. I know for me they were trying to do them in my upper arm area, too. I cannot imagine how they find spots on you.

• Brittany Foster

April 1, 2020 at 2:39 pm

Jen and Colleen,
    Unfortunately we might have a wrench thrown in the plans again with the port cath placement. The interventional radiology surgeon wants to look at a recent CTA scan of the chest to be sure about the placement of everything and where he is going into. This might take a few days to receive and review. But, at least I have the PICC line which will buy me some time of hydration and at least proper fluids.

• jen-cueva

April 1, 2020 at 3:24 pm

Oh No @brittany-foster, sorry about that wrench! I hope they can get the CT scan and figure this all out for you soon. In the meantime, I am so happy that you have that PICC line for hydration. How is that going? Are you having any issues with it? How about keeping it clean? I am sure that you are great with that part but know that it was a concern. It is always a concern on most when they have a PICC inserted. Are you feeling comfortable with it yet?