Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Our Community Upcoming Procedures Port Placements – Please Share Your Experiences

• Port Placements – Please Share Your Experiences

Posted by brittany-foster on April 20, 2020 at 3:01 pm

Hi everyone!

I have my upcoming port procedure that will be placed this coming Wednesday 4/22. It always helps me to read everyone’s good luck wishes. This procedure is something I have been waiting on for awhile. Although I may not need it for the therapy that I am currently on for my nutrition, I will need a port longer term due to not having good vein access. Usually it takes over an hour just to find a vein in my arm. With an arm restriction already AND bad veins on top of it, I know the port will help me down the road.

I am curious if others had a port placement for these reasons or for medication reasons? How was the recovery? How long until you weren’t in pain after? Let me know! I will probably be more quiet on the forums the next few days but I will be checking messages and will get back to everyone with updates as soon as I can.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Colleen

April 20, 2020 at 3:42 pm

@brittany-foster I’m sorry you need a port but happy for you that it is finally happening. I know you have been waiting. Cullen had his for treatment purposes and because his vain access was minus 0. He was usually sore for a few days but nothing he couldn’t manage. At first you might hate having it because you will be focused on it, but eventually it will just become your new norm and you won’t think about it except when you have to. I’m glad you are getting one. It will be worth it.

We all love you here Britt and will be thinking of you on Wednesday!

• jen-cueva

April 20, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Hey @brittany-foster, I am so excited that you will finally get your port. I hate that you need it, but as you mention, it will benefit you in the long run.

I do tend to agree with Colleen that you will be sore for the first few days.
    She also makes a high point, as you get used to having it. It is still something new that will take some time. I know when I have had midlines and things, although not a port, it was annoying just trying to get used to having it connected to my body.

We do love you, Brittany, and are here to support you. You’re always in my thoughts and prayers. Wednesday, I will be thinking of you and hope that all goes well. For me, I hope that you will not deal with any more pain, as I know that is a big concern with your procedures.

• dawnt

April 20, 2020 at 8:21 pm

Hi, @brittany-foster. Although I’m a recent member of the forums I’ve been reading them for a few months. I’ve read about your procedures and was thinking of you even before joining the forums. I’ll be sending best wishes for an easy procedure, quick recovery, even better results than what you’re hoping for.

• brittany-foster

April 21, 2020 at 10:22 am

@dawnt thank you so much! I appreciate all of your wishes and love that you have been following the forums for a little bit. I am sure you are familiar with some of the medical dramas that I post about then. One of my co-workers calls it my “body wars” and she couldn’t be more accurate LOL we all have our own versions of body wars I’m sure. But, I am really hoping for a good outcome with this and for the pain to not be as bad post op.

@colleensteele thank you! Was your son able to get his removed? I am just curious too about how big it will be. I know that long term it is better to have something because of my vein access being so poor and restricted to only using one arm as it is ! It will be a good decision for me in the long run, the short term recoveries are always hard for me, but hoping with the increase in nutrition that I now have it will run more smooth!

@jenc I have to be patient with myself for this procedure and after for the recovery. That is one of the things that I have been working on and allowing myself to just be patient and let things heal as they do and not try to rush things along. I get very frustrated when I rush the process and don’t let things just be as they are!

• Colleen

April 21, 2020 at 2:32 pm

@brittany-foster Cullen did have his removed and hasn’t had one for a few years now. He had one for 5 years to administer Flolan but nothing else could be administered through or drawn from it. It was strictly for the Flolan. Post-Transplant he had one to help with blood draws and a special treatment for rejection called photopheresis.

Will this be a tunneled port in your chest? Once you get it if you have questions about cleaning it, dressing changes and showering with it, let me know.

• jen-cueva

April 21, 2020 at 4:17 pm

@brittany-foster, I applaud you and know that learning patience with ourselves and our bodies can be tough. I am grateful that you are working on this and understand this takes time. Remember that we are here to support you through it all. We love you, Britt.

• jen-cueva

April 22, 2020 at 7:17 am

Good morning @brittany-foster. I am just waking up and sipping my coffee. I immediately thought of you this morning. I am thinking of you and hoping that the port placement goes well for you today. I know that this has been a long time waiting for you. I love you bunches and know that you have so many supporting you here.

• jen-cueva

April 24, 2020 at 11:23 am

I just wanted to let y’all know that @brittany-foster did have her port placed. I know that so many were concerned. Sadly, she is experiencing some pain right now as it heals. Let’s keep her in our thoughts and prayers are she continues to heal.

I am so happy that she finally had this port placed. I know that it will help her in many ways in the future. The healing process will be the most difficult for her.

We love you, Brittany. Take your time to heal and update when you are up to it.