Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health PTSD and medical procedures/ surgeries

• PTSD and medical procedures/ surgeries

Posted by brittany-foster on November 21, 2019 at 11:51 am

In my latest column for Recharged and Rewired, I wrote about PTSD being triggered by my recent tube replacement surgery. I do a lot of work in therapy to talk about trauma related incidents and medical trauma that is recurring. It is hard to get “over” medical trauma especially when it seems to happen again and again and can be re-triggering for anxious thoughts.

Can you relate to my latest column? Does your trauma or anxiety get triggered with surgeries/ procedures? What helps you cope with this level of stress?

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jen-cueva

November 21, 2019 at 11:27 pm

Brittany,
    I’m so sorry to hear about your PTSD returning and I’m sure this cannot be easy to refocus once it starts. I’m grateful that therapy is helping and will continue to help.

I’m thankful that you had an awesome anesthesiologist who noticed and took you to a quiet spot to help. I’m sure every sound and alarm in the hospital can easily set you into panic mode. My hubby’s recent stay for 2 nights, he asked how do I rest or sleep when there. He said the alarms and beeping all night. It’s true, I try and block it out when I’m there by watching a funny movie or something that I know sill distract me some.

Honestly, every time we go to my PH appointments, it’s literally across the street from the hospital, I experience some of the same symptoms. My hands start sweating, my heart racing and my anxiety kick in. My hubby noticed it the last several times.

I think giving yourself more time, be patient with yourself and continue to discuss this at therapy.

Music can help, but not always. I’m always here, text and talking are good for support.

• alfred-gronroos

February 22, 2020 at 10:59 am

I experience severe hospital trauma when I am in a hospital or clinic, nursing home, etc. I was hospitalized 12 times by age 12. I get very confused in all the hallways, elevators nooks and cranies they have. Thru my PTSD therapy I learned the why’s of my confusions. I have learned to watch my movements but now my age comes into play and I cannot remember what I saw so I can exit, so I still have to ask someone to help me many times. I have learned not to be ashamed of it or much that makes me different than others, like wearing my oxygen. Also, most places do not like dirty old men wandering around. I will tell nurses, attendents etc to watch me cuz of my anxietys. That is what they are supposed to do, but I do fail at times because I am a man and do not always inform them. I often exit out wrong doors and find my vehicle is not there. Can get a knot in my tummy at that time. One of the positive things is I get to park in those blue spots when they are available. Macho man, ya right.

• Colleen

February 24, 2020 at 2:48 pm

@alfredjohn I know it’s difficult to talk someone out of their embarrassment but I’m going to try. Hospitals can be a confusing place for everyone. My son has been treated at 3 different hospitals since he was 6 and I have found myself lost and wandering the halls many times. I use to have nightmares that I was trying to get my son to an appointment. When I couldn’t find the right floor and hall I would suddenly realize I took him to the wrong hospital.

My son experienced a dry run when waiting for transplant. Emotionally devastated, sleep deprived and hungry, I lost my way to the ICU in a hospital that normally I could walk with my eyes closed. Friends of mine had to come find me and take me to my son.

My point is, people get lost in the hospital all the time for various reasons. The staff and even other patients and caregivers are use to this and are usually more than happy to help someone find their way. I’ve been lost many times and I’ve help wanderers find their way.

Don’t feel ashamed and never hesitate to ask someone for assistance. If there is any place you should be able to find compassion, it’s in a hospital!

• cristi-starling

February 26, 2020 at 10:40 pm

My son is 13. I stopped counting surgeries at 25. I stopped counting nights inpatient at 450. He is a walking talking miracle. His PH is secondary to diaphragmatic hernia.
    I think he has a bit of PTSD over IV’s. As he’s grown, I can sometimes talk him thru cooperation, but other times, even a month ago, it takes several adults holding.
    I don’t have advice or wisdom… just a reiteration that sometimes this walk is hard. I wish I knew why he can pull thru sometimes and why others it’s a screaming meltdown.

• brittany-foster

February 27, 2020 at 11:46 am

@trjumom I go through something similar too. For me it is either I am okay with everything (as okay as I can be) or my PTSD and anxiety really get the best of me. It can feel like one extreme to the other sometimes. Something that helps me when I am feeling myself kind of spiraling is being honest about my anxiety to the medical team that is treating me. They are more accommodating and understanding than I ever thought. Taking something to get the edge off in these situations can really help too. I know that I usually take ativan or a fast acting anxiety medication before procedures and will take it while I am in the hospital.