Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Exercising With PH Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Patient Outcomes Linked to Exercise Capacity

• Andrew Strunk

April 24, 2018 at 9:49 am

I have had Pulmonary Hypertension since July 2008. I have thought for long time that I couldn’t increase my exercise capcity particularly my cardio fitness. Since discovering appropriate cardio interval training for my “base level” I have found that I have even with PH I have been able to increase my cardio output which has also improved my 6 min walk test results. The last two years I feel my health has actually improved because of my improved cardio capacity so I am very happy to hear the outcome of the study. I have not been hospitalised for PH in the last 2 years also which further supports the study results.

• Kathleen Sheffer

April 24, 2018 at 10:33 am

That’s amazing, Andrew! Thank you for sharing your progress. I will be sure to email you if other patients echo your results or have questions for you.

• Terry D. Blissett

June 12, 2018 at 6:27 am

I have recently been screened for PH using an echocardiogram. My pressure showed mild PH. I am really glad to hear that exercise can potentially slow or stop the proegresssion of this disease. I presently workout whenever my energy level allows me to (now twice per week). Thankfully, my frequency and intensity of exercise is increasing. I use spinning as my main source of exercise. I have been restricted by my doctor from lifting weights. Hope to add this soon though. I have a catheter scheduled this week to confirm the echo. I’m praying that it is very mild.

• Brittany Foster

June 12, 2018 at 10:49 am

Hi Terry,
        I hope you know that you always have our support here ! It is great that you are still trying to remain as active as possible even with finding out about the PH. I love how you are listening to your doctors recommendations right now and I’m sure over time you will be able to slowly work your way up to doing more. Definitely listen to your body during exercise which can be a challenge for me when I have that adrenaline rush. Sometimes I feel like I can do more than I should and feel the effects of it after! I wish you all the best as always and please keep us updated on how the cath went!

• Andrew Strunk

April 24, 2018 at 9:51 am

Please email me any replys, thankyou