Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Patients with higher exercise capacity present a reduced risk of pulmonary arterial hypertension-associated death or hospitalization, according to results of a Phase 3 clinical trial.

The research was published in the journal PLOS One, in a study titled “Association between six-minute walk distance and long-term outcomes in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension: Data from the randomized SERAPHIN trial.

Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is characterized by an increase in resistance of the pulmonary vessels network, especially in the pulmonary artery. The increased pulmonary pressure frequently results in the heart’s right ventricular failure.

Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is characterized by an increase in resistance of the pulmonary vessels network, especially in the pulmonary artery. The increased pulmonary pressure frequently results in the heart’s right ventricular failure.

Read more about exercise and how it can affect PAH patients here: “Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Patient Outcomes Linked to Exercise Capacity.”

What do you think about this study? Please share your thoughts below. 

Andrew Strunk
      Participant

I have had Pulmonary Hypertension since July 2008. I have thought for long time that I couldn’t increase my exercise capcity particularly my cardio fitness. Since discovering appropriate cardio interval training for my “base level” I have found that I have even with PH I have been able to increase my cardio output which has also improved my 6 min walk test results. The last two years I feel my health has actually improved because of my improved cardio capacity so I am very happy to hear the outcome of the study. I have not been hospitalised for PH in the last 2 years also which further supports the study results.

Kathleen Sheffer
        Participant

That’s amazing, Andrew! Thank you for sharing your progress. I will be sure to email you if other patients echo your results or have questions for you.

Terry D. Blissett
          Participant

I have recently been screened for PH using an echocardiogram. My pressure showed mild PH. I am really glad to hear that exercise can potentially slow or stop the proegresssion of this disease. I presently workout whenever my energy level allows me to (now twice per week). Thankfully, my frequency and intensity of exercise is increasing. I use spinning as my main source of exercise. I have been restricted by my doctor from lifting weights. Hope to add this soon though. I have a catheter scheduled this week to confirm the echo. I’m praying that it is very mild.

Brittany Foster
          Keymaster

Hi Terry,
          I hope you know that you always have our support here ! It is great that you are still trying to remain as active as possible even with finding out about the PH. I love how you are listening to your doctors recommendations right now and I’m sure over time you will be able to slowly work your way up to doing more. Definitely listen to your body during exercise which can be a challenge for me when I have that adrenaline rush. Sometimes I feel like I can do more than I should and feel the effects of it after! I wish you all the best as always and please keep us updated on how the cath went!

Andrew Strunk
      Participant

Please email me any replys, thankyou

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account