Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Pulmonary Hypertension Columnist Explores the “PHun” Side of Anger

• Brittany Foster

May 21, 2018 at 1:13 pm

I definitely feel emotional but I have always been that way because of other chronic illness in my life. At first I looked at my diagnosis as “just another thing to add to my list”. I was able to keep this attitude until is started effecting me more and I became more symptomatic. I get emotional about not being able to do as much as I did before. I often find myself comparing myself to how I was before and this leads to a lot of anger. I’ve learned that managing feelings of anger and frustration is so important. Pent up emotions for me just turns into depression and sadness. I seek the help of a therapist when discussing difficult feelings. Does anyone here receive therapy too? Have you found it helpful?

• Cris Dingman

May 22, 2018 at 10:15 am

I am more mellow now, I try to not let things get to me, since anger causes my heart to beat faster and all that. I have enough issues, anger symptoms shouldn’t add to them!

• Brittany Foster

May 22, 2018 at 11:41 am

Hi Cris,
      I an definitely relate to the fact that emotions play a part in many of my symptoms. If I get myself too worked up sometimes I can put myself into a heart arrhythmia which just leaves me feeling more short of breath and tired. It’s best to manage my emotions effectively! What are some things you do to keep your emotions from getting the best of you?

• Beverly Repouille

May 22, 2018 at 11:56 am

I see a therapist as needed. It helps a lot as I have a tendency to internalize my feelings. NOT a good thing. The PH causes many negative feelings that I do not need to deal with. I need the energy for just every day living.

• Brittany Foster

May 22, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Hi Beverly,
      I understand what it’s like to hold onto emotions. I notice a big difference with how I’m feeling over all when I get out my deepest and hardest emotions. It feels as if a literal weight is lifted off my shoulders. It’s always great to have someone to talk through your feelings with.