• Reactive blood pressure

Posted by VK on September 10, 2018 at 12:42 pm

Hi all,

Found an interesting symptom of mine and was wondering if any other PH patients experiencing it. I was almost diagnosed with hypertension and essential tachycardia (meaning non-stop heart beating too fast) because my blood pressure was 150/100 and my heart rate was 120 when resting.

I thought that was weird because I measure myself 3 mornings a week and to my knowledge, my heart rate was 75 and blood pressure 110/70.

So the doctor had me lie down silently for 15 minutes, and my numbers went back to normal. He couldn’t really figure out why my body was acting that way, though. His hypothesis was that just for my brain to be active and for me to sit up alertly, that my body had to increase blood flow to ridiculous amounts.

Will be interesting to hear if anybody else has hypertension or tachycardia that calm down by simply taking a brief rest.

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kathleen Sheffer

September 10, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Interesting! I wonder how long you had been resting when they measured your heart rate at 120. I know it takes a while for my heart rate to come down if I’ve been rushing to an appointment. Maybe try to make sure you’ve been sitting for a while before they measure your blood pressure next time?

• Brittany Foster

September 10, 2018 at 6:19 pm

This is definitely interesting. For me, my pressures drop when standing and I get something called and “orthostatic hypotension” where my heart rate increases to try to keep up with the demannds of the body but at the same time my blood flow is slower to respond and get to where it needs to be. My hands and feet turn blue easily too as a result of this. Having oxygen actually reducing these events of hypotension significantly for me!