Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Read Any Good Books While In Lockdown?

• Read Any Good Books While In Lockdown?

Posted by Colleen on March 20, 2020 at 2:43 pm

I know many of us have enjoyed a lot of binge watching movies and shows but how about reading? Have you read or listened to any good books lately? I think that is what I will do this weekend. Historical fiction is my favorite. What about you? Share suggestions with us and tell us about what you are reading now.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 2 months ago 8 Members · 36 Replies
  • 36 Replies
  • jen-cueva

March 22, 2020 at 11:17 am

Hey @colleensteele, although I read a variety of books, I am currently reading, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. It is a witty yet heartbreaking novel. I have many others on my list, but this was one that I had already started before all of the lockdowns began.

I have never been one to listen to books, although I know many who do. Do you prefer listening to or reading a book, @colleensteele? I like to have the book in my hands, I know, silly. I do think I may try using our Amazon Prime to see what free books are available. I can read those free ones via my iPad.

Anyone else reading anything interesting to keep your minds busy?

• brittany-foster

March 23, 2020 at 10:10 am

Hey @colleensteele my friend just got me into reading the Harry Potter series from start to finish last year. She told me that she always re-reads these books in a time in her life when there is a lot of struggle and uncertainty. I figured, what better time to re-read about this magical world than now! It is a life so different from our own and that’s what I really loved about it and all the characters were so relatable. I will be starting book 1 again tonight !

• brittany-foster

March 23, 2020 at 10:26 am

@jenc I am actually reading that too! I like all of the Reese Witherspoon top book choices. This was on her list too. I really like it and I like the character a lot. She is relatable ! I also like the feeling of having an actual book to hold while I’m reading. My bf bought me a kindle and I ended up reading a lot of books off of it but it bothered me that my book shelf was so empty LOL! I am old school when it comes to reading, I prefer holding it vs just seeing it on a screen. The screen ends up hurting my eyes after awhile (even with the special light protection)

• jen-cueva

March 23, 2020 at 1:32 pm

@brittany-foster, too funny. My hubby bought me a Kindle last year, and I used it for maybe a week. Like you, I am old school with books. I have books that I have read and books that I may get to- hehe.

I have never started reading Harry Porter. For some reason, I feel like I may not get into it as much as other books. You make an excellent point; we all do need some magic in our lives. Maybe that is something that I need to try to start reading once I finish this book. I find as I get older, I can only read one book at a time. Has anyone else noticed this yet?

• brittany-foster

March 23, 2020 at 4:07 pm

@jenc for me, that’s not just an “as I got older” type thing hahaha! It has happened to me my whole life. In school it was always so hard to keep track of all the books I was reading for all my classes. They all seemed to mix in with the next and I had a hard time keeping characters straight. Reading comprehension was something that I really struggled with. So, mix that with having to read for several classes and I was SO CONFUSED !

• Colleen

March 23, 2020 at 5:00 pm

@jenc I prefer the old fashioned hardback or paperback books. I do have a tablet and since I can’t get to the library I might break down and download a few books. I don’t listen to books either but I know people who seem to really enjoy it.

A co-worker many years ago introduced me to the Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich. Many times when Cullen was in the hospital I would break out and even re-read one of those books because they are so funny! The setting is in South Jersey where I grew up so I’m familiar with the places, foods, etc. that she writes about. I’ve even known guys who have read her books and thought they were hilarious. I’m thinking about re-reading the series again.

That being said, I swore I was going to read this weekend but instead I watched Netflix and Hulu.

@brittany-foster I have never read Harry Potter but my husband wants to start re-watching the movies while we are in lockdown. When you mentioned Reese Witherspoon it made me think of Drew Barrymore. She has written a few books. A close friend gave me Find It in Everything which is a collection of photographs by Drew that contain hearts found in everyday situations. Some are kind of unique, like a photograph of a break in the clouds that forms a heart. And a sun spot on a cat. My friend gave it to me because when my son was on the transplant list we kept finding hearts in weird places which we took as a sign of hope.

• robin-webster

March 24, 2020 at 1:17 am

Animal lovers and romance lovers might enjoy the last one I read. It’s called Love, Chocolate and a Dog Named Al Capone. The dog is the narrator, and while I know that sounds ridiculous, it’s really very clever. And Capone the Wonder Dog also has his own Facebook page!

• brittany-foster

March 24, 2020 at 11:17 am

@colleensteele I really love that about the hearts and finding them everywhere. The universe gives us signs when needed and sometimes when least expected. I find heart shaped rocks sometimes on walks or runs on the beach and I always stop to get them and put them in a jar. Usually they just pop out at me and I don’t do much searching for them. But, searching for them is pretty calming and mindful too. It’s something I look forward to doing again when the weather gets nicer ! Definitely helps me take my mind off things.

• brittany-foster

March 24, 2020 at 11:19 am

@jenc do you do books on tape at all? I can barely listen to two things that come out of someone’s mouth on a regular basis, nevermind listening to something on tape. Songs and stuff I can do, but I am not one to listen to podcasts or books because I just don’t have the attention span for that. My attention has gotten a lot worse over the years and I am particularly challenged when it comes to listening to something and actually taking it in!

• brittany-foster

March 24, 2020 at 11:47 am

@robin-webster I love books about animals ! I loved “Marley and Me” when I read it and it was one of the only books to ever make me cry hysterically. I also loved the movie ! My love of animal books happened when I was younger and read “Because of Winn Dixie” . It is a book more for children and is a really cute movie too.

• jen-cueva

March 24, 2020 at 1:47 pm

Haha, @brittany-foster. I love that and will go with your thoughts on that. I probably have been dealing with this longer than I realize.

@colleensteele, I am also thinking of using my iPad for reading more now, too. So, we will see how that goes. I always have preferred holding the book in my hand, also. Yes, I know old-fashioned.

• jen-cueva

March 24, 2020 at 1:57 pm

@robin-webster, how are you doing? I am happy to see your post. I love animal movies, too. I do not think I have seen that one, but I will check it out if it’s on Amazon Prime Or Netflix. Like Brittany, I did love Marley And Me, too.

• Colleen

March 24, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Oh thanks for the suggestion @robin-webster! I never heard of the book “Love, Chocolate and a Dog Named Al Capone”. Maybe that will be my next read. @brittany-foster “Marley and Me” is a good one too! I enjoyed that. Have either of you read “A Dog’s Journey” and “A Dog’s Purpose” by W. Bruce Cameron? I know they made movies out of them but I really recommend the books. Those are two I plan on re-reading in the future. Loved them!

• brittany-foster

March 24, 2020 at 5:14 pm

@jenc let me know how it goes with the reading from the ipad. I wish I could do it because there are a lot of good books and they are sometimes cheaper when purchasing them on a kindle too! But for me it also hurts my eyes and makes my vision way more blurred at the end of the night so when I look up from what I’m doing it’s all foggy and harder to see. Even with my glasses on !

• brittany-foster

March 24, 2020 at 5:17 pm

@texas2018 I agree with Jen! We are so appreciative of your contributions and your best thoughts and prayers on this forum. Please let us know how we can be of support to you too during your hard time. This really is a tough situation for so many of us and you’re not along in feeling that way and feeling overwhelmed by what is going on around us as well as what is going on within us. It seems like so much is in conflict right now. I am so thankful for your support and care!

• brittany-foster

March 24, 2020 at 5:22 pm

@colleensteele I saw the movie “A Dog’s Purpose” and cried and CRIED my eyes out. I watched it while in the children’s hospital with my mom. It was on their suggested movie list and free movie list. I wasn’t expecting to be as moved by it as I was. This was even BEFORE getting my dog, so now I am going to cry even more with reading the book. I definitely have to add them to my list.

• jen-cueva

March 25, 2020 at 9:52 am

Oh @brittany-foster, A Dog’s Purpose was another tear-jerker. I cried in that one, too.

As far as reading on my Ipad, that will only be when I finish with the book I am reading now. I, too, find that it is easier on my eyes to read from an actual book. But, I will certainly keep you posted if and when I do try it again.

• b2testnav

July 29, 2020 at 1:57 pm

I am re-reading a whole series of books by Bodie Thoene called the Zion Covenant and the Zion Chronicles. The first series is set in 1938 and 1939 while Hilter was annexing Austria, Czechoslovakia and Poland. The next series is set in 1948 as the British leave Palestine and Israel is born. Bodie’s husband Brock is a historian and does much of the research for these historical novels. Character development is good and the times and places can be backed up with your own research that I find to be fascinating. Before the lockdown I also re-read her series called the A.D. Chronicles that I first read in 2009 before I visited and toured Israel. They certainly give a great context to life in Israel 2000 years ago and made our visit there in 2010 even more wonderful. Reading them again was well worth the effort the second time too (there are 12 books in this series).

• Colleen

July 29, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Hey Chris! Thanks for sharing. I’m a big fan of historical fiction so I will have to check out your suggestions!

• robin-webster

July 29, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Hi, everybody! I haven’t been on here in a while. I hope all are doing well. I have some more book recommendations. (And I’m wondering if anyone tried Love, Chocolate and a Dog Named Al Capone, which I suggested before. If so, what did you think of it? And if you, too, fell in love with Capone, “he” has a Facebook page. Can’t remember if I mentioned that before. Capone the Wonder Dog. It will give you a daily chuckle, for sure.) I read two more books by the same author, Abigail Drake — The Hocus Pocus Magic Shoppe and The Enchanted Garden Cafe. I also enjoyed The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. Reichert and The Recipe Box by Viola Shipman. (Anybody else notice the running food theme? LOL!) I also liked a book by J.B. West called Upstairs at the White House. And I read a couple of autobiographies — one poignant, Inside Out by Demi Moore, and one witty, (deep breath, long title) The Amy Binegar-Kimmes-Lyle Book of Failures: A Funny Memoir of Missteps by Amy Lyle.

• Colleen

July 29, 2020 at 6:52 pm

I appreciate the running theme @robin-webster! Hehe! I’m sorry to say I haven’t read the previous books yet that you suggested. Thanks for the reminder though and I will add these new ones to my list!

• gayle-ward

July 30, 2020 at 2:27 pm

I’ve read a lot these past months on lockdown. One book I really enjoyed was “The School of essential ingredients”. A light enjoyable read. The book “Echo” is best on audio books. Lovely story and beautiful music. The books “One day” And “ On the Corner of Biter and sweet” were also good reads. Hope you enjoy.
    Warm wishes
    Gayle

• Colleen

July 30, 2020 at 3:07 pm

Thank you @gward for adding your suggestions! It’s nice to share the joy of reading with each other. It can be a wonderful distraction from health issues.

How are you doing Gayle?

• gayle-ward

July 30, 2020 at 4:44 pm

I am doing well. This is a great idea for a forum. New book idea are so helpful. Your the best. Thanks

Page 1 of 2