Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Read Any Good Books While In Lockdown?

• jen-cueva

July 31, 2020 at 3:05 pm

Wow, @b2testnav, have you read all 12 books that are within that series? Is the reading fast-paced for you Depending on how things are written, I can read most genres, but historical ones for me for some reason are slow reading. It could be that I have yet to find an author that grasps my attention in that genre. Thanks for sharing.

• jen-cueva

July 31, 2020 at 3:07 pm

Hi @robin-webster, I now do recall you suggesting that book. A Dog Named Capone sounds interesting. Sadly, I have been busy and have not been reading as much as I would like to. Hopefully, I can start back and read a few of these that you and the others suggest.

Food anything gets my attention, hehe.

• jen-cueva

July 31, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Thanks, @gward. I am grateful that you shared those titles with us. I have a few books that I have started and yet to finish but hoping to get back to them.

Books can certainly help take us away from all that is going on around us and also be a bit therapeutic. Would you agree?

I am happy that you like the book suggestions. We certainly will keep this open so all can share it here. I guess we have not visited it in a few months. So this is a great time to hear from you and others and share our joys of reading. The books you suggested sound up to my speed, light, lovely, and something to enjoy with a coffee or tea, maybe.

• jen-cueva

January 16, 2023 at 12:26 pm

Hey @brendad53, here is an older topic about books we did during Lockdown. You might find it interesting, too. Please feel free to share some of your favorites with us.

Where are our bookworms? @gayleward, what have you been reading? @cdvol3gmail-com, I know you also enjoy a good read. How about you, @carol-alexander? Do you enjoy reading to help keep your mind occupied?

• brenda-denzler

January 16, 2023 at 4:01 pm

Currently, I just finished *The Myth of Normal.” I’m in the midst of “Stranger Than We Can Know.” And I’m dabbling in “The Secret Teachings of All Ages.”

For a few years recently I was reading about Nazi Germany and WWII from the point of view of the masses of people–not political deals and battles and treaties and such. But how the events that unfolded affected Joe and Jane Schmoe, and what they did or could not do or had to do to cope with what was unfolding. Both within and outside of the various kinds of camps that were set up.

Like you, Jen, I always wanted actual books I could hold in my hands and read. And I have the bookshelves to prove it! But in the last 10 years or so I’ve gotten into Kindle books. The nice thing is, you can take a LOT of potential reading material with you that way, in just a slim little tablet.

• Colleen

January 16, 2023 at 5:48 pm

@brendad53 I’m an eclectic reader but favor history and historical fiction. Philippa Gregory is one of my favorite historical fiction writers.

I’ve done my share of reading about Nazi Germany. If you remember titles of any of those books you read I would be interested.

I wish I made use of the epidemic to read more but I didn’t. I’m making an effort in the new year to become an avid reader again, beginning with a book a friend recommended last year, “Handle With Care” by Jodi Picoult. It’s about a woman whose child had the rare disease, Osteogenesis Imperfecta.

My friend said that while reading it she kept thinking about me and all I’ve been through while caring for Cullen. I hope to start it sometime this week and plan to write a reflective column about it in the near future.

• brenda-denzler

January 16, 2023 at 8:15 pm

OK, Colleen. Here are the titles:
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>After Long Silence</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Auschwitz</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>The Children’s War</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>The Choice</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Enemy of the People</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Fantastic Laboratory of Dr. Weigl</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>A Good Place to Hide</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Hitler</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Hitler’s Children</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Hitler’s Last Secretary</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>An Honorable Defeat</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Journey Interrupted</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Long Road Home</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>My Battle Against Hitler</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Nancy Wake</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>The Nazi Officer’s Wife</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>The Nazis Next Door</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Rather Die Fighting</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Savage Continent</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>The History of the Black Hunters</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Strongmen: Mussolini to the Present</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Woman in Berlin</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>A Woman of No Importance</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>What We Knew</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Defying Hitler</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Black Earth</p>
        <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Last Train for Berlin</p>

• jen-cueva

January 17, 2023 at 10:32 am

Hi @colleensteele, have you read Cilka’s Jouney by Heather Morris? It’s about a young girl taken to Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp in 10942 and her resilience. KK gifted me this book for Christmas after she read it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ohh, I have always enjoyed Jodi Picoult’s books, too. I don’t believe I’ve read that one, so looking forward to your column about it once you read it.

Maybe revisiting this old post will motivate me to get started this year by reading more. I have many books on my Kindle app on my iPad that I either have started or never began reading. I also thought because it was often cheaper and easier to carry with me. My issue was at the beach. The sun is where I like to be, and I can’t see my screen too. hehe

• brenda-denzler

January 17, 2023 at 1:17 pm

Yeah. Reading Kindle books in direct sunlight is very hard. Impossible? I think you can change the screen color, though, so that it’s darker, with light type, which might make it easier to see in bright lighting conditions?

• jen-cueva

January 24, 2023 at 11:28 am

Hi @brendad53, some have said to try that on my iPad. However, I haven’t had much luck at the beach. I’ll try again on the next trip. Thanks for that reminder.

• Terry

January 24, 2023 at 1:02 am

Books OMG , the boss reads on average one book a week .I read two pages a night ,if I’m lucky , and fall asleep. There are boxes of books under beds in the walk in robe ,in the garage . You know , I  vac and wash the floors once a week and it takes me a day to recover from moving the boxes around .

For me the Edward Rutherford books are brilliant but a bit heavy to read in bed and I am absolutely hooked on Gerald Seymour having read every one from Harrys Game to the latest bar one. He releases one every two years so at the rate I read I dont have to wait long in between .

• jen-cueva

January 24, 2023 at 11:27 am

Hi @terry, you crack me up with every post! I swear you should be a comedian; think about the money you could make touring worldwide.Hehe.

I was more like your wife before. Your reading sounds more like my reading speed. I hope to get back into reading more but it’s been a slow start.

Post-COVID, my attention span went haywire!

Page 2 of 2