• jen-cueva

March 16, 2018 at 5:07 pm

For years I was told to watch my sodium , then the last 3 years or so, I was told I had kidney failure as well. I also was rushed to the hospital back then and found out I actually have issues with LOW sodium which is very scary. Since then, I’m like what you said, Kathleen, I was told to eat what I want, pretty much. ( please note, low sodium is pretty rare in PHers, so please don’t go eating lots of extra sodium after you read this ).

I like to make sheet pan meals, I often use chicken breast , and either broccoli or other veggies and often a red, white, or sweet potato. I like to top the chicken breast with a little hummus( spicy or garlic are my faves ) , then a few panko crumbs, cut the veggies about the same size , drizzle all with olive or coconut oil, salt( or salt substitute) , pepper and garlic. I use a foil lined sheet pain for easy clean up, bake about 25-40 mins depending on the thickness of your chicken. These are easy, I often use salmon, and a variety of veggies as this is simple and I often buy precut veggies or cut them myself earlier in the day . I like simple steps and short cut cooking.

• Kathleen Sheffer

March 16, 2018 at 5:11 pm

Sheet pan meals are brilliant! One dish and you get your protein and vegetables. The cleanup was always the worst part for me – if I found the energy to cook a meal, there was no way I had energy to clean up. Great idea, Jen!

• jen-cueva

March 22, 2018 at 3:00 pm

I would also like to add to use fresh herbs and spices as they add so much flavor without needing additional salt. I also use lemon and lemon zest often to bring out flavors as well.

I have an Instant Pot and I can throw ingredients in there and make a soup, stew, prottein, and other one pot meals and fast. Dry beans as well are super fast .

I enjoy cooking on good days but still it gets exhausting, so I look for easier ways to make some of our faves. I have quite a few kitchen tools that help with time and energy needed, and I also like to often buy precut veggies and fruits.