Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Reminders That Help Me Get Through the Difficult Days

• Reminders That Help Me Get Through the Difficult Days

Posted by Pulmonary Hypertension News Moderator on April 9, 2018 at 10:33 am

In a recent column, Pulmonary Hypertension News‘ writer Brittany Foster talks about what it’s like to live with the disease — and what helps ease her days when she feels she can’t fight anymore:

“With pulmonary hypertension, I have been through a variety of difficult days, including days when I feel I can’t fight this disease anymore. They are the days that make me question my own physical and mental strength. On these days, I think to myself, ‘How could it get any worse than this?’ My hardest times have taught me that even though these days seem impossible to overcome, I always do.

I find that it helps to give myself reminders to keep a positive attitude and persevere. Following are some reminders I give to myself and to friends who struggle with all types of illness, whether physical or mental.

You’re not a burden.
    Many times, I worry I’m a burden to others. It’s easy to isolate myself when filled with these negative thoughts. It’s better to talk about my hard days with people who care. If I don’t open up about my symptoms, I’m a burden to my own body.

You’re worthy of rest.
    Taking time to rest doesn’t mean I’m lazy. When my body tells me I need to rest, I have to listen. Without the guilt. I constantly fight with thoughts that tell me I’m not doing enough. No matter how ‘lazy’ I feel, rest is a crucial part of healing.”

Read more of Brittany’s column here: “Reminders that Help Me Get Through the Difficult Days.”

What helps you get back up on your feet when you’re having a bad day? Share your thoughts below.

Pulmonary Hypertension News Moderator replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.