This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kathleen Sheffer 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
     Kathleen Sheffer 
    Participant

Last week I brought up the issue I’m dealing with as an Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipient: not being allowed to retain assets over $2,000. This makes it impossible for me to save money so that I might eventually stop receiving assistance.

However, over the weekend I learned about ABLE Accounts, which are tax-advantaged savings accounts for individuals with disabilities and their families. The Achieving a Better Life Experience Act of 2014 (aka the ABLE Act) enables eligible individuals to make annual contributions up to $15,000 to an untaxed account to invest and save for qualified disability expenses. It’s similar to a 401(k) account, but there’s no penalty for withdrawing the money early — in fact, you can immediately use the funds for qualified expenses, which include housing.

You can have up to $100,000 in your ABLE account and keep getting SSI benefits. If you go over $100,000, SSI benefits will stop, but if your ABLE account drops back below $100,000 they will start up again without reapplying. I’m looking into this option for my own savings. I wonder if anyone else has considered this or has started using an ABLE Account? Any drawbacks you anticipate?

Brittany Foster 
    Keymaster

Hi Kathleen,
    I have SSDI which we both know if different from SSI because SSI goes off of the assets. I didn’t qualify because I had too many assets and too much in my savings account. I actually have never heard of this ABLE Account before but it’s definitely something I would be interested in hearing more about. Just living off of SSDI alone and my babysitting job is so hard ! I feel like the maximum for SSDI here in Rhode Island just is not sufficient at all! Do you have SSDI? Do they allow you to work to a certain extent ?

Kathleen Sheffer 
      Participant

To clarify, the ABLE account is for people with disabilities receiving assistance, including SSDI. I was not eligible for SSDI because I have had a permanent disability from birth and did not accrue work credits before becoming disabled. I think the maximum for SSI is even less than for SSDI, but you are able to earn more income – up to $30,000 annually while retaining Medicaid (insurance is all I care about).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account