• Self-Care Strategies for Caregivers

Posted by Kathleen Sheffer on May 24, 2018 at 9:43 pm

Hey caregivers! I just came across an article from The Mighty that presents strategies for self-care from a caregiver’s perspective.

1. Be bold.

Develop assertiveness to better represent yourself, and to be a strong advocate for others.

2. Connect.

Build a partnership with the person you are assisting based on mutual respect. Try to understand their perspective.

3. Prioritize.

Decide what matters most. Not everything is important.

4. Relax.

Do gentle stretching and deep breathing several times a day. Look for and appreciate the good things.

5. S.O.S.

Ask for help when you need it. From doctors, too! With family and friends, use tact and be specific, whether it’s changing sheets, picking up groceries, a meal out, babysitting, or a much-needed foot rub.

6. Me-time.

Carve out a little time for a favorite hobby or book. Create bright spots on difficult days.

I think these are great tips and I appreciate this mother incorporating her love and connection to her daughter into her own self-care routine. It’s so important for a patient and caregiver to have a healthy, loving relationship.

My parents always seem to want to take on all my challenges and stay miserable in solidarity with me. Instead, I encourage them to make time for themselves and do what they need to do to stay healthy, like exercise when I’m bed-bound, and eat meals when I am fasting.

Caregivers, how do you practice self-care? Patients, chime in if you find ways to help your caregivers or help them help themselves!

Kathleen Sheffer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.