Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Share a Moment Where You Felt Uplifted, Encouraged, or Empowered

• dawnt

August 9, 2022 at 8:18 pm

Hi @jenc. I had a recent realization in the past two weeks that there is still so much I CAN do, despite my medical issues. I may have to do things slower, or in a little different way, but I don’t have to just give in to the fears of the ‘what ifs’ concerning my future with these issues.  I’m sure I’ve had this realization before, but this felt different and very ‘big’ to me. It has definitely lifted my spirit, and helped me remember the power that I do have to decide how I choose to handle those fears and changes.

• Colleen

August 10, 2022 at 5:55 pm

@dawnt it has been wonderful watching your the positive growth of your self-awareness. I know that process has it’s ups and downs but isn’t it a joy when some light shines down on you? Thank you for sharing your journey with us, Dawn!

• jen-cueva

August 11, 2022 at 12:25 pm

Wow, I am so grateful to read this uplifting moment from you. As Colleen mentions, we have watched you grow in many ways after struggling through many dark seasons. You continue trying to find ways to deal with whatever comes your way.

I admire your strength and self-awareness with this change in perspective. Too often, if we can change our mindset and get to that moment, when it “feels different,” we often know we are there.

Yes, we can do so many things; we just need a few adjustments along the way, is what I have been reminding myself.

Thank you for sharing and allowing us to help support you as you continue to grow. Big-time group hugs all around.

• randolph-reynolds

August 12, 2022 at 10:38 am

Wahoo-I’m back on line.  Here’s my comment:

Inspiration is a challenge when we have a ‘terminal’ disease.  I remember well having very inspirational moments when I was younger but now that PAH hovers over me things are different.  One of my high moments of inspiration was when I received my orders to become a fighter pilot.  But now that is past.

I find myself being inspired by writing and by spending time with good friends.  Inspiration should be part of being happy.  But I think of it as joy.  I work at avoiding thinking in ways that would negate my inspiration.  It is a task that we must face every day.

We are not less normal than most people in that sense.

• Colleen

August 12, 2022 at 5:56 pm

@ripple76 “We are not less normal than most people in that sense” is such a powerful statement! I reread it a few times because I think sometimes we forget that really, everyone around us is just trying to keep it together.

I’m with you, writing and good friends are at the top of my inspirational list. But you know, what once inspired us can still give us joy. What an accomplishment having become a fighter pilot! Just think, you did that, and you have written about it! Wow!

• jen-cueva

August 12, 2022 at 10:59 am

Hi, welcome back, @ripple76; I hope you have the sign-in process figured out now.

That moment when you were chosen to be a fighter pilot must be an honor and many emotions. What went through your mind at that time? Were you in your 20s? That milestone will never leave you, my PHriend.

Writing is such a therapeutic outlet. I would have to say I’m inspired by reading others’ writings, too. After hearing so many stories here, I’m inspired daily by the joy and strength our PH community continues to find despite the negatives of PH.

Again, you mention mindset, which is common in many who want to keep their head up while managing life with PH. I’ve found that reducing the time I spend around those who are all negative helps me, and I think many of you can relate.

I agree a time with friends and loved ones, laughing, and experiencing joy is what we are meant to do, right?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Randy. I hope you enjoy a relaxing weekend.

• randolph-reynolds

August 12, 2022 at 11:26 am

Yes Jen there were many reasons that my graduation from pilot training in August 1964 was special.  I was top of my class, of course I had some prior flight training before, thus I got to choose what aircraft I would go to, and I received the commanders trophy for best all around student.  The really special thing was that at that time, a few months before we went into combat in Vietnam, the newest strike fighter in the Air Force was made available to officers right out of pilot training.  Before pilots upgrading to that new jet had to have prior fighter experience.  Thus I was part of first class of second lieutenants to go to Las Vegas, Nellis AFB.  It was really a step up and what a six months adventure.  A young man 23 years old flying around the mountains north of Las Vegas was so very new.  In those days Las Vegas was a nicer place to go to than today.  In May 1965 I was sent to the fighter unit not far from Tokyo.  Two big things happened, I experienced combat and I meet the gal I would marry.  We just celebrated our 55th anniversary.

Plenty of high moments in those days.  Forgive me for getting long winded in this.

• jen-cueva

August 12, 2022 at 12:04 pm

Hi, @ripple76; thanks for sharing such lovely memories. Have you thought of writing about your time as a fighter pilot and the love story that came along with that?

Graduating at the top of your class is a remarkable accomplishment. I heard that school and training are rigorous. Wow, and at such a young age, 23- unbelievable!

I’m grateful you shared such a personal story with us all. This story you share inspires me. It reminds me that 30 years of marriage is not long when you talk about 55 years! She must be one extraordinary woman, Randy. I remember you talking about writing back and forth while you were away. That brought home my memories of when Manny was away on East and West pak tours.

Such precious memories and milestones. I hope that, if not yet, another book is in the making. Take care, and I hope you and your lovely wife enjoy a relaxing weekend.

• jen-cueva

November 29, 2022 at 1:58 pm

The holiday season can be difficult for many. During those darkest times, we must be inspired, encouraged, or uplifted.

Thanksgiving is now past us; on to Christmas and the other holiday celebrations. Did you feel inspired, uplifted, or encouraged recently?

I’m grateful that my close friends(PHriends, y’all, too) in included uplift and encourage me daily. But our 30 Days of PH lead, @colleensteele, and each of our contributors have inspired me in many ways. If you have yet to read the 30 Days of PH stories, I encourage you to read them, there is such a variety, and we learn and are inspired by each other.

Thank you, Colleen for yet a stellar job as your passion shines through each year! This campaign is close to our hearts and always will be.

• Colleen

November 29, 2022 at 9:45 pm

Thank you so much for you kind words @jenc. As always you have helped and supported me throughout the campaign and I am so grateful! You lead me to several inspiring stories!

I do love that PH Awareness Month – therefore “30 Days of PH” is in November because the stories are filled with reminders of what our focus should really be on during the holidays…family, friends and not taking life for granted.

The “30 Days” stories definitely uplift, encourage and empower me, as does my PHriendship with all of you!

• jen-cueva

November 30, 2022 at 11:04 am

Thanks, Colleen, but you carry the load, and I admire how you lead this campaign with your passion. That is so true, @colleensteele. That is the perfect time for the little reminders to focus on what truly matters the most, not taking life for granted.

Again, thanks so much for all of you here.

• jen-cueva

November 30, 2022 at 11:07 am

@dawnt, are you doing Ok this holiday season? What about you and your lovely wife, @ripple76?

How are y’all this season, @kygon? I know the holidays are emotional, and you may need space. But I am thinking of you, Bryan, and the boys.

@carol-alexander, how are you doing this season? Do you have family and friends near for support?

Hugs to each of you who may be silent and reading; you are not alone.

• kygon

November 30, 2022 at 2:19 pm

@JenC, Thank you for thinking of us, things have just gotten a little crazy the past few weeks… we found water damage and started to fix the bathroom and ended up completely ripping out the entire wall and subfloor … so there was that (finally put back together the day before the kids all came to Thanksgiving ..WHEW) And Bryan’s father was diagnosed with mouth cancer and has to have major surgery on December 7th. They removed all of his teeth this past week and next they will remove most of his upper jaw and rebuild it with part of leg bone… and Bryan needs to titrate up on Uptravi (wont start that till a bit after dads surgery, as we do a lot of meals and stuff for mom and dad)  and Bryan was told he needs to go full time oxygen… soooo ya just been overwhelmed, busy, and a little less than empowered or encouraged … more feeling take it one step at a time one day at a time one fight at a time.. Life gets that way sometimes; However, I am feeling uplifted because I found out Bryan’s oldest son’s wife is having a baby girl and My oldest son’s wife is having a boy … so next spring will be busting with excitement …( I may have already started panning baby-showers as a distraction and I might have already ordered some stuff)… LOL

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving surrounded with family, friends and yummy foods! Sending my love and prays all our phriends way!

• jen-cueva

December 1, 2022 at 11:52 am

Hi @kygon, wow, it sounds like y’all have had a full plate and more to come. I’m happy that you now have a new bathroom. So glad that the kids were home at Thanksgiving.

I’m so sorry to hear about Bryan’s dad. I’ll send y’all some extra light, love, and prayers on the 7th. But next Spring sounds like such a busy and fun time. I can already picture the house full of things you have been shopping for those new little ones to come.

Take care of yourself, girl. Wishing you, Bryan, and the family all the best this holiday season. Big hugs and maybe a case or two of wine are coming for you.

• terry

November 30, 2022 at 9:54 pm

Just been catching up with whats been happening here and also reading some really interesting articles on here way back. Colleen I feel for what you and you son have been through and thank god my three girls are physically ok. Not sure sometimes  about whats between the ears though but so long as they are happy hey. Jen my ears in the US tell me you and Manny got into the tequila ,had a few to many , and decided to go out on your ebikes and terrorise us oldies out walking. In the process you fell off ( drunk again) knocked your head and they had to staple your head back together. I bet humpty dumpty wished there were staples back in his/her day. Ha.  Hey get well soon . Talking about ‘e’ as in bikes ,scooters , cars I’m finding it more difficult to have a peaceful walk for my PAH benefit . It reminds me of a Disneyland  comic back in the day when a mild mannered father got behind  the wheel of his car he turned into  a wild terror. Well I reckon most e’scooter and bike riders are the same . If it gets any worse I’ll be getting an ‘e’ wheelchair ,hotting it up , and competing for footpath space. Oh well.
    Wish the rain would stop so I could go for a walk instead of terrorising you lot . Hell I’m feeling good! See ya.

• jen-cueva

December 1, 2022 at 11:56 am

G’day @terry, you’re at it again. I would guess you have been tipping that bottle of Tequila up. Hehe. No tequila that day for me, Mate. But that is a much more exciting story, I must admit.

I’m sorry about your difficulties in walking. I, too, use a wheelchair for distances. I hope the rain stops some so you can get outdoors. You will be driving the misses nuts inside all the time. JK, Take care of yourself and your lovely wife.