• Share How Your Self-Care Routines Have Changed.

Posted by jen-cueva on April 28, 2020 at 1:50 pm

It is no secret that beauty salons, barbers, nail salons, and other self-care catered businesses have been closed for several months for some of us. Taking time to indulge in self-care has always boosted my overall health. Because I am now looking for other ways to promote self-care, I am asking for your tips.

My daughter did send me an at-home facial kit that I enjoyed last month. I finally removed my awful looking nail polish and painted my nails last night. But other things like my eyebrows and hair are not so easy. I’ve never been one to tweeze my eyebrows since I made a mess of them in my early 20’s. I have also made some lousy hair coloring mishaps that I later had to pay to “fix.”

So, what ways have y’all found to promote self-care? Have y’all been brave enough to trim your own hair? I have seen some funny memes about this on social media. What about other salon services? Have you men cut and trimmed your hair and beards/mustaches?

Let’s talk about this. I want to hear the funny mishaps, too. Lord knows I have had my share.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • janet-barry

April 28, 2020 at 4:20 pm

Oh, boy. This could be really good. I learned a long time ago not to try doing my hair myself. I tried coloring my hair and had to pay a fortune to have it corrected. I wouldn’t dream of cutting it. I’ll put up with the mess for as long as it takes.
    My pastor cut his hair. When he came online he had almost no hair and joked saying he asked his secretary to find him hair clippers and she brought him a lawn mower. Our organist also cut his hair the same way.
    Blessings,
    Janet

• Colleen

April 28, 2020 at 7:13 pm

That is so funny but true @jbarry28! I tried trimming my own hair last year. I didn’t think I did that bad of a job but when I went to my hairdresser noticed right away. She told me to never cut my own hair again. I’ve been tempted a few times over the past few weeks but haven’t done it yet.

• jen-cueva

April 29, 2020 at 8:45 am

Too funny @jbarry28! I also learned that hair coloring lesson the hard way-Hehe. My hubby said that I ended up paying more, so I need just to pay my hair girl and leave it alone. I will not be coloring my hair without her.

That is so funny. I asked my hubby if he could use his shaver and buzz just the back area of my hair where it has grown. I quickly decided that was not a great idea when he said that he would “try.”

@colleensteele, I did that when I colored my hair. But sadly, I was almost in tears when I got there, and she knew my hair was not done by a professional, especially not her. 😀

Did y’all ever have to have to go to school the day after your mom tried trimming your bangs as a kid? Once, it was the night before class pictures. I will never forget that.

• Colleen

April 29, 2020 at 2:17 pm

@jenc I have long hair with long layers and grew my bangs out a year ago. I just needed a dead end trim and thought, “How hard could it be?” So I methodically took strands of hair, cut off what I estimated to be about an inch and then bobby pinned that piece so I wouldn’t try and cut it again. I thought it didn’t look too bad but my hairdressers reaction was priceless. She looked so confused and then stared at me in the mirror and asked, “What did you dooooo?!” Apparently my whole head of hair was uneven and she had to cut more than I wanted in order to fix it. LOL! Apparently I am no hairdresser!

• jen-cueva

April 29, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Hehe @colleensteele, I think we all have at least one bad hair mishap. I can only imagine the look on your hairdresser’s face. My hairdresser often scolds me when I mention even trying to do something on my own.

A hairdresser is not one of my titles, either-Hehe. I will leave that to the professionals.