Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms Symptoms During the Pulmonary Function Test

• Symptoms During the Pulmonary Function Test

Posted by Brittany Foster on November 30, 2018 at 12:27 pm

For many with Pulmonary Hypertension, the pulmonary function test is one of the ways that our doctors assess our lungs and how well a treatment may be working. I know that this test can help guide the doctors in my healthcare but it also is a pain (sometimes literally)!

Some of the side effects I experience while taking the pulmonary function test, is a tingling sensation around my mouth from trying to breathe harder than I normally do. I get tingling in my hands, dizziness, see dark spots in front of my eyes especially on an exhale. I experience a fast heart rate if they do the part of the test where they have me use an inhaler and then repeat the test.

It’s safe to say that although this test is necessary for many of us, it isn’t the most fun test to endure. What symptoms have you experienced during the pulmonary function testing? What do you do to help yourself through this? What does the tech/your doctor advise you to do during these symptoms?

Valerie replied 5 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Valerie

December 4, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Hi Brittany

I do not have your symptoms
    Yet. My PH is mild at the moment. But this past weekend I had a severe case of the stomach flu.
    Upon a very forceful vomit bout I thought I was going to pass out. My hands became very numb as well as my forearms. My fingers actually became rigid and twisted. I could not breathe or catch my breath. Took alot to overcome this event.
    Today my chest is very sore as well as surrounding areas.
    Could this be caused by PH?
    I’ve never experienced this before. I am very fatigued
    As of yet. It seems having so many diagnoses on top of going through a virus really amplifies things!

• Brittany Foster

December 4, 2018 at 8:11 pm

Hi Valerie,
      I can relate to the way you are feeling so much. I recently got over a 9 day hospitalization for an intestinal infection called c-diff. I was throwing up for 6 days straight and it was awful. Throwing up can put a huge strain on the muscles that you’re using to breathe and the force of throwing up can make your back and chest really tight (which would also limit your ability to breathe). Are you able to check out your oxygen levels with a pulse ox? When you have an acute illness like this, it might be a good idea to monitor yourself and see what your oxygen levels are doing at this time. My advice to you would be to relax those muscles as much as possible maybe using some heat to get them out of the spasm that they might be in. After my bout of throwing up like that , my doctors gave me muscle relaxers because the tightness was really constricting my breathing and I felt even more awful. I hope you start to see some improvements soon! keep us updated on how you’re doing.

• Valerie

December 5, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Hi Brittany,

Wow, I can’t recall being so sick! It was a very tough week. I am starting to feel a bit better today. I am also noticing that my immune system is definitely getting weaker. So looks like it’s time to dive into supplemental options to keep my body boosted.
    My muscles and lungs are calming down. I had problems taking in deep breaths, I could feel the pain directly under both clavicles.
    I am grateful you understand what I went through. This was definitely a first for me. At the time of the vomiting I was so sick all I wanted to do was regain my breath, as the pain in my hands and forearms was horrible, I did not think to check my oxygen level. I am hoping I do not have to go through that again!
    I am worried about this diagnoses of PH. Since it is mild I believe that I am not taking this as serious as I should. So my main concern is, at this point how soon will it get worse?
    As I mentioned I live at 10,200 feet. I am in very early stages of systemic scleroderma. And other factors for lung problems.
    Thank you for all your insight Brittany.

• Brittany Foster

December 5, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Hi Valerie,
      I know that prognosis and how fast PH progresses depends a lot on factors like the underlying cause of your condition and the treatments that you are on for it. I would definitely bring up this question to your doctor at your next appointment. It is a scary question to ask, but it is necessary to get an understanding and some clarity with what to expect from all of this. The unknown can be so scary for us.

I’m glad the your illness you were experiencing is calming down and I hope that you continue to be on the mend from the acute problems you were facing. I would try to boost your immune system as much as possible. Asking your doctors what supplements you can take for this would be a good idea. I know that there’s some supplements that may interact with certain medications. You could even ask a pharmacist for advice on this.

Thinking of you and hoping for the best!

• Valerie

December 5, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Thank you Brittany.
    Hoping you are doing well
    After your hospital stay.
    And you are feeling stronger now. God bless and rest!