• Introduce Yourself

Posted by Kathleen Sheffer on February 19, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Hi all! I’m turning 25 in April 2018 and I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension when I was 6 years old. PH was a significant part of my childhood and teenaged years. There were specific challenges I faced because of the maturity (or lack thereof) of my peers and educational requirements. I benefitted from teen support groups at Conferences and later from PHA’s Generation Hope group. Sometimes it’s just nice to talk to someone your age who gets it! Feel free to suggest topics that are specific to our age group and please introduce yourself to the group, including your current age and age at diagnosis.

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Deleted User

September 9, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Hello I’m Deja. I recently had a baby on June 29, 2018 and then started to experience bad heart palpitations. While I was in the hospital I ended up having an emergency c section and my heart rate wouldn’t come down! I couldn’t lay down without putting my head up and I just didn’t feel normal! Went home and that’s when the palpitations were all day every day! I referred myself to the cardiologist and he did and echocardiogram. He didn’t tell me anything. Went to my GP and she was reading his note and told me that I had an enlarged heart. Called the Dr to understand why I wasn’t told this info and then was told that I had lunch and pulmonary hypertension! Went back to the cardiologist and asked questions and was told I have a mild case of pulmonary hypertension. Currently talking calcium blockers and go back to the cardiologist in two months! I’m quite nervous everyday that I might not make it. I have no symptoms except my heart will beat fast and that’s it.

• Kathleen Sheffer

September 10, 2018 at 11:56 am

Hi Deja,

Thank you for joining our forums and sharing your story. My goodness, you have been through a lot in the last few months! I hope that you continue to respond to Calcium Channel Blockers and your condition improves. I don’t think you need to be nervous that you won’t make it (that anxiety in itself can cause heart palpitations)! It sounds like you were diagnosed in time and there are a lot of treatments available. I was diagnosed in 2000 when only one medication existed to treat pulmonary hypertension, and I’m still here! Let me know how I can help ease your mind. Also, how is your baby doing?

• Brittany Foster

September 10, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Deja,
      Wow I’m really glad that you were persistent in trying to find out what was going on. I am treated with heart medications similar to what you are on because my heart rate went from being abnormally slow and needing a pacemaker to all of a sudden very fast with a higher than usual for me blood pressure. These were all signs that my heart was trying to work too hard
      Hopefully they are having a goal to try to get your heart functioning with less stress on it. I’m glad you joined the forums and that you can connect with us.