Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Pediatric PH Tips On How To Help Children Wear Masks

• Tips On How To Help Children Wear Masks

Posted by Colleen on July 13, 2020 at 1:45 pm

The pediatric hospital, Marybridge, Tacoma WA, that my son use to be seen at, recently sent out an e-mail sharing tips on how to help children wear masks. Share your tips with us if something has worked for your child that isn’t mentioned.

Tips for Helping Kids Wear Masks

It may be scary for kids* to start wearing a mask. Here are some
    tips to help them through it.

KidsMask
    Let them pick it out!
    Let kids select the color, fabric or style they like best. Decorating is fine as long as it doesn’t interfere with the mask integrity.

KidsMask2
    Make play masks for stuffed animals
    Use household materials to make masks for toys. This fun activity can make masks less scary.

KidsMask3
    Practice wearing it
    Practice putting on and taking off masks. Start wearing masks at home for short periods of time. Some kids adjust right away, others need more practice. Being consistent and setting goals can help.

KidsMask4
    Never share and keep it clean
    Mask should never be shared with others or worn when dirty. Cloth masks should be washed after each use.

KidsMask5
    MBC-KidsMask6
    Wear it properly
    Have kids practice washing their hands before touching their mask and making sure their mask covers their nose, mouth and chin. If it becomes difficult to breathe, masks should be easy to remove.

Be a mask role model
    Wear your own mask consistently and explain how it keeps you and others safe.

* Masks are only for children over 2 years old. Children under 2 should never wear a mask.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jen-cueva

July 14, 2020 at 12:36 pm

Those are some creative and helpful tips for anyone who has a small child. I have seen on TV where some kids have made masks for their barbies, dolls, and stuffed animals. I love that idea as it is creative and keeps the kids busy, too.

The tip about not sharing was one that I would have never thought about. Although I know that we should not share them, this is important to remind young children.

I love that picture, too! Was it tough for you to encourage Cullen to wear masks when he was younger? I know that he uses the VOGmask, is that the only ones he has used?

• Colleen

July 14, 2020 at 1:30 pm

@jenc to be honest, the only time Cullen wore a mask when he had PH was when walking the halls or sitting in waiting rooms of hospitals, clinics or ER’s. Post-transplant he has never, except for family, been around people without a mask and he has NEVER complained. In fact, once patients are at least 3 months post, if they are doing well they stop wearing them. Cullen had a close friend die from aspergillosis after transplant and because of that he vowed never to risk not wearing one.

The VogMasks are wonderful but for at least a month post-transplant and during this epidemic, his doctor prefers that he wears a P100 around crowds. That mask is a little harder to wear. It makes you look and feel like Darth Vader. Luckily, he hasn’t been around crowds so he hasn’t needed it.

He had a friend who didn’t like wearing her mask. She felt self-conscious and it really got to her when people stared. I think it might be harder for teenage girls to feel comfortable wearing them, but right now there is no excuse – everyone should be wearing one.

• jen-cueva

July 15, 2020 at 3:13 pm

Oh wow, I hate that Cullen’s friend died after aspergillosis. That must have stuck in his little head back then and made that significant impact on him. I hate that happened but happy that he is always wearing his mask to protect himself.

Oh no, I bet that the new mask is difficult for him after being used to the Vogmask. They are still sold out-BTW. On a funny note, tell him to save it for Halloween. IDK if he dresses up, but I know you do, and that would be a great mask for someone. Let’s hope he won’t need that one by then!

• jen-cueva

October 5, 2020 at 9:42 am

Because this continues to be something that those of you with children struggle with, I wanted to share it again. Colleen offers some helpful tips that y’all may find helpful. I loved it when she said, “Be a mask role model. Wear your own mask consistently and explain how it keeps you and others safe.”

How are y’all with small children doing with getting them to use masks? Share some of your tips here for others. Stay safe and take care of yourself, too.

• jen-cueva

February 3, 2021 at 12:21 pm

Again, I wanted to see how our parents and caregivers are doing who have small children. I hope and pray that none have contracted COVID. I worry about our smallest warriors; they have always inspired me to PHight stronger.

How are things going in your area? If you have school-aged children, are they homeschooling or attending classes? Do you have more tips on children and masks? How are you as parents and caregivers managing through this chaotic time?