Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Traveling while on oxygen

Tagged: ,

• Traveling while on oxygen

Posted by susi-steppins on April 27, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Hello all.
    I am seeking some advise and/or some helpful tips about traveling with my oxygen.
    We are in the process of buying a travel trailer to pull behind out truck so that we can travel.
    I am planning on bringing my home unit with us when we do to use while we ae stationary.
    I do have my portable for during the day.
    Has anyone here been able to travel with your oxygen?
    How did it go?
    Did you run up against any problems or obstacles that you could share?
    Any words of advise?
    I appreciate any input.

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Colleen

April 27, 2021 at 2:19 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com I know you travel a lot. Do you have any suggestions for Susi?

• jill-upshaw

May 18, 2021 at 2:18 pm

I bought a portable outlet that will run one appliance for 8 hours or smaller ones for longer. I keep it plugged up at all times to serve as backup power for either my portable unit, my home unit or my CPAP. I also have a green cylinder tank to back up. I figure I can sleep on the cylinder if needed and use my back up battery for my CPAP. Then charge my portable in the car. I was afraid when traveling not to have a backup battery and cylinder.

• carol-volckmann

April 27, 2021 at 3:31 pm

Hi Susi, My husband and myself traveled i our motorhome for a year and a half. I got pneumonia in AZ and needed oxygen. Lincare a nation wide company that will deliver oxygen. They came right to the State Campground where we were staying they would pick up the used canisters and deliver new and will do that wherever you are. I did need a prescription. Here is an 855/937-2238. Give them a call to find out what you need to do and what your plans are. Good luck, hugs.

• carol-volckmann

April 29, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Susie, I just wanted to add with Lin care you have them deliver your oxygen wherever you are, keep traveling till you need more and they will again deliver and pick up used bottles. They even supplied me with an oxygen generator which I used while in the coach and used the potable ones when out and about.

• Colleen

April 29, 2021 at 2:41 pm

Thank you @cdvol3gmail-com. I knew you would be helpful and offer good advice.

• susi-steppins

May 2, 2021 at 10:00 am

Thank you so much @cdvol3gmail-com.
    Very useful information.
    I appreciate it.
    Staying in hotels just seems much to difficult with all I need to bring with me.
    I have to sleep with a cpap mask on that is connected to my oxygen, so it will take a lot of planning.
    Thank you @colleensteele for asking her to help. 🙂

• jen-cueva

May 18, 2021 at 11:42 am

Hi @s-steppins, I think I missed this post. I wanted to add that Apria is also an oxygen company in all states, and I have used them. Now, I have my Inogen POC, and it is great for when I travel. It depends on how much oxygen you are on, too.

I would suggest using your POC as you mention; they have the oxygen company deliver the tanks to you. They also make a smaller home concentrator that you can use at night. Here is an example of a smaller concentrator.

Which oxygen company do you use now? Let us know when you start your travel journey. My hubby keeps saying we are selling the house and do that. But as I remind him, he works full time and not from home. LOL

• jill-upshaw

May 18, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Jen, I did not know there were smaller concentrators. I am ordering one for sure. I had been thinking travel was almost out of the question once I got the large concentrator as far as a hotel is concerned. That would actually fit into a bag with my CPAP on wheels. I get profuse nosebleeds without humidity at night and that has humidity. Thank you for posting.

• jen-cueva

May 19, 2021 at 9:19 am

Hi @upshtcx, I hope you can locate a smaller unit because the large home fill concentrators are massive. Once during a hurricane evacuation, we had to take mine; it took up so much room in the truck and the hotel rooms. I did not have my POC at that time.

If I travel a day or two, usually my POC is fine. I have an extra battery and can charge the car or the room. Anything longer, I prefer to have a backup, too.

Where is everyone planning to travel to first? We are supposed to fly to San Diego in late August for my daughter;’s birthday. So crossing all I can and praying that happens.