Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Introduce Yourself two questions: #1 flying with oxygen, #2 best portable unit out there

• two questions: #1 flying with oxygen, #2 best portable unit out there

Posted by Maryellen Ramstack on September 28, 2023 at 11:20 am

Hi I am new to this site, have a combo PAH/CTEPH-TBX4 Syndrome-genetic variant.

I currently use nocturnal O2

I will be flyng and recommendation to use O2 during flight and hot humid weather now…

What Portable 02 company do most people use, currently I have plug in Inogen unit and travel in car in a suitcase with this unit it is 18 lbs. I am looking at Inogen and Caire-former Puritan Bennet Co they have been in business since 1918, I am a retired RN and used their equipment when working in hospital in the 1970s and 1980s.

Cost to buy is high for both….

Any input would be great!

Maryellen

Maryellen Ramstack replied 7 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Karen Endelman

September 28, 2023 at 2:23 pm

I have the Inogen and have used it for grocery shopping, etc. I needed it when I first got out of the hospital for unrelated surgery but the anesthesia and PAH don’t mix well. I purchased the extra battery for longer usage – one is 2 hours and the other is 4. The system I have is pretty light weight but it’s not the smallest one they have. I think it will also depend on the length of your flight (ergo the extra battery).

Good luck!

• Charlotte McCabe

September 28, 2023 at 3:00 pm

Inogen is the best. I’ve had one for years and I’m on Oxygen 24/7. I use mine every day.

• Germaine Norwood

September 28, 2023 at 5:42 pm

Hello Maryellen, I am on oxygen at night and when I fly my oxygen company supplies the Phillips Portable oxygen concentrator as part of Medicare so there is no additional cost for the portable. However, you do have to rent batteries ( it only comes with 1) at $50 each for longer flights. The Phillips has been flawless but I understand other brands are rated higher. Good luck!

• jen-cueva

September 28, 2023 at 7:16 pm

Hi @Maryellen Ramstack , I have used seberal. I first used a Sequal Eclipse, but it was much heavier and cumbersome to travel with. I’ve been using my Inogen for about 8-10 years now. I use it for travel. I also have a long-lasting battery that’s extra with the shorter-lasting battery. I am on 4 liters. It also depends on your liter flow; some portables don’t work well with higher flows.

I use Apria and have used Lincaire before for my DME company. If you are staying somewhere and need a home concentrator. I’ve had them deliver it to my destination before my arrival. That helps when using it at night. Otherwise, I use my Inogen at night and the home charger to charge it as I use it at night.

You need to call the airline ahead of your flight and inform them about your oxygen. They will ask you questions about how much battery you have, etc. You can’t sit at certain seats on most airlines with the POCs. I’ve not had any issues with my Inogen thus far. I use it daily.

Where are you traveling? Vacation or other travel?

• Maryellen Ramstack

October 3, 2023 at 6:14 pm

I have Inogen 18lb home unit for nighttime looking at Inogen 4or AirSep lifestyle also both weigh about 5lbs which is heavy when walking with a cane or walking poles as I do wish they were lighter

• jen-cueva

September 28, 2023 at 7:21 pm

Also, I wanted to share our sub-forum for oxygen users. You can browse through these topics and may find some beneficial. @Maryellen Ramstack

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/forums/forums/forum/support-groups/oxygen-users/?no_frame=1