• Upcoming Procedure

Posted by brittany-foster on September 4, 2019 at 8:28 am

I just wanted to give everyone an update on my upcoming surgery. On Monday night after a very busy and fun weekend, I was unable to flush my GJ tube. To my surprise (and horror) it was cracked. I knew I needed to be seen at the OR because this tube is my main source of nutrition and water intake. Before being admitted, my stool was also tested because I had mentioned that I was seeing black in my stool and vomit. Luckily it was tested because there was actually blood in the stool. My GI team feels like this is bleeding from ulcers because of all the throwing up I have been doing the last 8 months after almost everything I try to eat orally. This new tube will hopefully be just what my body needs in order to start feeling stronger!

My surgery is scheduled for today so I will be sure to update when I can! Thank you all for such amazing support and always going above and beyond to make this forum a safe space and a success. I truly appreciate every single one of you!

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • jen-cueva

September 4, 2019 at 2:50 pm

You got this, Brittany! I am hoping that by now that you are in recovery. I know you will update us when you are up to it.

In the meanwhile, we are all thinking of you and praying this surgery will help you to get the nutrients that your body needs.

• brittany-foster

September 10, 2019 at 8:21 am

Thank you so much, Jen. It has been a rough 1 week post op and I really am amazed at all my body was able to get through and the pain I was able to endure that was honestly worse than my open heart surgery I just had. I never thought I would ever hear myself say those words but it was truly terrible. I am starting to get on the mend now and can use a little distraction and motivation! Thank you!!

• Colleen

September 4, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Brittany, I haven’t stopped thinking about you today. I’m concerned and hope that surgery has gone well. I’m praying for a smooth recovery and wish that I lived nearby to help you through this difficult time. However, I know you have a very loving, caring and supportive mom who I’m sure is helping you through this.

• brittany-foster

September 10, 2019 at 8:23 am

Hi Colleen,
      YES! luckily I have great support that help me get through all of this. Yesterday my boyfriend surprised me with a visit along with his brother and one of his friends. It was good to just see everyone and hang out and watch a movie. My brain definitely needs some much needed recovery time too as well as my body. It has been through a lot this past week.

• jen-cueva

September 4, 2019 at 3:35 pm

I agree with @colleensteele! I definitely keep thinking of Brittany, too.

I was just talking about her with my daughter. She stopped by and actually treated me to a quick lunch. She was in the area for her hair appointment and fit me in her busy schedule. That was one of those last-minute surprises that always makes my heart happy. ❤️

• brittany-foster

September 10, 2019 at 8:24 am

Sounds like you had a fun surprise with your daughter ! I am sure the two of you don’t take special moments like that for granted and I am glad you were able to get out !

• jen-cueva

September 4, 2019 at 5:47 pm

Brittany is out of surgery. She is, unfortunately, dealing with a ton of pain. Please continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I know it’s going to take some time for her body to heal from yet another surgery. She continues to show her inspiring strength.

Thank you all for showing your continued support and compassion.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    September 5, 2019 at 9:47 am

Brittany I hope you are feeling better and have a speedy recovery. You got this! Stay strong

• brittany-foster

September 10, 2019 at 8:26 am

Shannon,
      Thank you so much for the support and love! I really appreciate it more than you know. The worst part about this surgery was the post op pain and just not expecting the level of discomfort that I endured for the last week. It was really hard to be caught off guard like that. I was under the assumption it was a quick procedure. I guess things can change pretty quickly.

• Colleen

September 5, 2019 at 12:56 pm

I chatted on-line with Brittany a little this morning. As Jen mentioned yesterday, she had surgery and dealing with a lot of pain. Unfortunately today isn’t any better. She has internal bleeding right and still in tons of pain. Every 3 hours she is given pain medication that helps but I’m sure she wishes she didn’t need it.

The support and love from all of you means so much to her. Please continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

• jen-cueva

September 5, 2019 at 1:27 pm

Thank you, Colleen, for the update. I hate that Brittany continues to be in such great pain. I know that with our continued thoughts and prayers that she will improve.

I know that she is in great hands there with her family as well as her medical team. I am saddened to hear that she continues to suffer some internal bleeding.

Despite her pain and struggles, she continues to wasn’t to be here and support others here. That is just her.

Prayers that she can get some relief soon so she can start healing from yet another surgery. As you all know, she will pop in as soon as she is up to it.

• brittany-foster

September 10, 2019 at 8:28 am

You’re right Jen, That was so hard for me. I know my health comes first but I do really LOVE talking with everyone here and providing support. In listening to everyone else and knowing that I’m not alone in this makes me feel a lot better. Thank you again for all the prayers and words of encouragement and for checking in on me.

• jen-cueva

September 13, 2019 at 10:38 am

Brittany, welcome back! I realize that I’m behind, so trying to play catch up. Although, I’ve contacted you off here. I was having tech issues and hoping this is resolved.

We all missed you more than you know.But, as Colleen mentioned, we wanted you to focus on yourself and feeling better. I hope that you continue to have less pain and that you’re able to eat more. I know your body requires the nutrients to heal. We love you.

• brittany-foster

September 13, 2019 at 11:30 am

I honestly wouldn’t be able to get through this without your constant love and support. It means more to me than you will ever know. There is so so so much more than just lung problems that goes along with PH and my other conditions and trying to manage it all can feel so overwhelming. I’m so glad we have this safe space to truly have one another’s backs! Xoxo

• jen-cueva

September 14, 2019 at 10:17 am

So true, Brittany! Often days are overwhelming. Knowing that we have each other is a huge relief.

You here in the forums are part of my family. The feeling for you is mutual. We certainly do have each other’s backs here.

• jen-cueva

September 8, 2019 at 3:11 pm

I have not yet heard an update from Brittany today. I will update once I do. I know she was having a hard time with the pain still as well as her lungs not cooperating. I am sure that her recent bronchitis, pneumonia, and now more surgery is taking a toll on her body. Praying that time helps her with pain relief and improved lung function. She is one strong young woman.

Please continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

• Colleen

September 9, 2019 at 11:58 am

Thanks, Jen. I haven’t heard any updates either and have been concerned. I hope she is resting comfortably and that her team has figured out the best plan to help her recover from this very difficult past few months. Prayers continue!

• jen-cueva

September 9, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Yes, Colleen, I was starting to be concerned. I did finally chat a minute via text with Brittany. She said the pain is a little better today. She also stated that she has had a few things to eat, which is positive news, with her new tube. She is hoping to try some soup later today.

She says that she “ just wants to go home soon”. I bet so, she had just moved into her new place a few days prior to this hospitalization. Poor girl! My heart breaks for her. I am glad to hear some improvements as it sounds like things are moving forward. Thank God.

I know she misses everyone here as the forums are so important to her.

• Colleen

September 9, 2019 at 4:20 pm

Jen, thank you for the update! It makes my day a little better knowing that Brittany is experiencing at least some improvements. She has that brand new home to return to so I bet she wants to get out of the hospital. I hope that is at least giving her something to look forward to.

• jen-cueva

September 9, 2019 at 9:14 pm

My pleasure, Colleen. I will certainly rest better tonight knowing that she’s having these little improvements.

I agree I’m sure she’s looking forward to her new home.

• brittany-foster

September 10, 2019 at 8:30 am

Hi Colleen and Jen,
    I am actually hoping to get out of the hospital soon. I have been having improvements with eating softer foods and have been up and on my laptop for a little bit just trying to get some feelings of normalcy back in my life, especially helps my mental health when I am in the hospital after surgeries or procedures. I wasn’t in a well enough state the first 5 days after surgery to be doing much of anything. But, now that I am it feels like a big step in the right direction .

• Colleen

September 10, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Brittany, it is so good to hear from you! We wanted you to take your time and just focus on feeling better and healing. You have been missed and most of all, we have been concerned about our good friend. I hope you do get out of the hospital soon so that you can start enjoying your new home! I’m sure you are looking forward to that.

• v-r-peterson

September 10, 2019 at 10:33 am

@brittany-foster, I pray that you heal quickly and the pain subsides. May God watch over you.