Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Our Community Upcoming Procedures Upcoming tube replacement on Monday 1/27

• Upcoming tube replacement on Monday 1/27

Posted by Brittany Foster on January 23, 2020 at 3:17 pm

The tube saga continues for me. I just wish that things could go smoothly with my feeding tubes. But unfortunately, as many of you who have been following know, that hasn’t been the case. I am not the only feeding tube patient that has had difficulty with sizing of tubes, placement of tubes, and the comfort of them.

My last trip to the hospital determined that the tube that was going into my stomach (the G portion of the tube) is too long for my smaller frame. Because of this, it has been suctioning onto the wall of my stomach and not allowing stomach contents to drain out. This build up of contents causes pain and swelling when I try to eat and drink by mouth.

On Monday they are going to be replacing it with a smaller style tube so that it is not as long going into my stomach. I am nervous about this surgery because it is going to require anesthesia. My oxygen levels haven’t been great lately and I have had to bump up my oxygen with activity. I am nervous about how my breathing is going to be after the procedure and if they will keep me for observation or not.

When you get surgeries do you usually stay overnight even if it is supposed to be a day surgery? Are you allowed to go home the same day? I guess I will just have to see how the recovery process goes after and just hope for the best !

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 2 months ago 11 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Janet Barry

January 24, 2020 at 11:00 am

I will be praying for you. You have had so many difficulties. God bless you.
    Janet

• Brittany Foster

January 24, 2020 at 11:34 am

Janet,

Thank you so much for the prayers and for your support. That really means a lot to me. I will keep everyone updated on how things go.

• Colleen

January 24, 2020 at 2:08 pm

I’m so so sorry you are going through this yet again. I remember a few times when my son had what was supposed to be a day surgery but ended up staying the night for observation. It’s disappointing when that happens but as you know, better safe than sorry. I will keep you in my prayers and will be anxious to hear how you are doing.

• V.R. Peterson

January 24, 2020 at 2:18 pm

@brittany-foster, I can’t answer your questions, but I am praying for you, that the surgery goes well and the tube fits correctly.

• Brittany Foster

January 24, 2020 at 2:29 pm

@colleensteele and @mamabear007 thank you both for your well wishes and thoughts. Colleen, this has also happened to me more often than not. Especially when it has to do with my breathing or something after surgery. I usually end up with some type of collapse in the lower part of my lungs after I am given sedation. Usually it is a typical response for me after surgery but sometimes it really impacts my breathing when waking up.

• Sandra Guajardo

January 24, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Hello Brittany,
    I’ve been reading this forum for many months and finally decided to join in. I’ve truly enjoyed your “shares” and they are a true representation of the strong and brave person you are! The last surgery I had was for annual heart cauterization and my doctor recommended I stay the night for observation since I life six hours away. It’s hard to get any sleep in the hospital but I rather have some piece of mind knowing nursing staff is available. Maybe staying overnight might also help you see how the new tube works with your first meal. Hope all goes well and I’ll keep you in my prayers.

• Carol Volckmann

January 24, 2020 at 4:38 pm

My heart goes out to you Brittney. The saga of your feeding tube has been so awfully painful and certainly not doing the job. A smaller one will hopefully do the job. I know you have faith in your team, so if they think keeping under observation over night is wise I hope that would take some of the anxiety away. You have so many folks out there sending such positive energy to you my husband and myself send you love as well.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 25, 2020 at 10:47 am

Brittany, will def be praying for you . I am so new to all of this I can’t answer any questions but just have faith and know that so many are praying for your swift recovery !

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 25, 2020 at 9:06 pm

Good luck Brittany. I pray everything goes well. I think it would be best if they kept you overnight, give your body a chance to wake up and to make sure you are eating and drinking. Of course depending what kind of insurance you have , they might rush you out the door. They always do that to me. I keep my running shoes in one hand and my oxygen in the other! Lol Please let us know how it all goes. I will be thinking of you! Stay strong.

• Brittany Foster

January 27, 2020 at 10:09 am

Shannon,
    Thank you so much for the well wishes. You are right that it is probably best to end up staying overnight. I am going into the surgery with some pain that is hard to manage so they may just keep me for that. But I will be sure to mention to them that my breathing with activity has been worse lately so they will know to keep a good eye on it.

• Brittany Foster

January 27, 2020 at 10:10 am

Lynn,

I so appreciate that! Thank you so much. Even if people don’t have the answer to the question that I’m wondering about, it means more to me than you all know to have the support here that I do. Thank you!

• Brittany Foster

January 27, 2020 at 10:20 am

Sandra,

Thank you! That is true and is something that my primary care doctor has mentioned to me before. Since I have had such troubles with them in the past, sometimes it’s best to see how they work and make sure everything is going okay before leaving. Sometimes the hospital care does give us some peace of mind as much as we don’t like being there.

• V.R. Peterson

January 28, 2020 at 11:16 am

@brittany-foster, I’m wondering how the surgery went. I’m still praying, this time for quick and complete recovery.

• Margaret

January 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm

Air hugs from Petawawa, Ontario. Hope all went more than “well” – let it be at least “fantastic!”

• Jimi Mcintosh

January 28, 2020 at 7:41 pm

Sorry to hear that you are still having issues with the tube, glad to hear that your doctors are still working on it.
    I can relate to your fear of being under, but it is essential to minimize the plan and to stabilize your breathing. Praying that all goes well.

Due to your other medical issues an additional night for observation is probably best to prevent complications.
    My pain threshold is so high that I require additional sedimentation for pain, potential bleeding and palpitations. Let how you feel determine
    How long you stay

• Brittany Foster

January 29, 2020 at 10:07 am

@mamabear007 The surgery for the tube itself went pretty well. There weren’t any complications an the tube is a lot more comfortable for my body, even just sitting here it doesn’t feel as heavy. It is a style tube that they use for children and teens so it is more fit more my body. This was the first one that the adult hospital put in like this and they really thought it was super easy and thanked me for letting them know about it.

• Brittany Foster

January 29, 2020 at 10:09 am

@jimi I am similar to you with the pain issue too. I usually require more pain medications than the average person because of all the surgeries and procedures I have had. I really want and hope for this to be the last surgery that I have this year (at least one that would require me to be asleep for) I just think that my body and my mind have had enough of all of it and just need a break for a while until it reboots itself. Sometimes it can feel like a lot to handle. Thank you for your continued kindness and support.

• V.R. Peterson

January 29, 2020 at 10:44 am

@brittany-foster, that’s really good news! I pray the tube continues feeling comfortable for your body.

• Carol Volckmann

January 29, 2020 at 11:33 am

Wonderful news Brittney! This smaller tube sounds like it could be s game changer for you. You are one strong, brave person who really does her own advocating as it was you who suggested using the child size tube. You are such an inspiration for all of us.
    Wishing you continued success with your new tube and maybe a nice hike in the sunshine and clear air. With hugs

• Brittany Foster

January 29, 2020 at 1:06 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com I really hope so too! Thank you . I really do try my best to advocate for my best needs even though I know that sometimes the wrong doctors don’t always take my needs too seriously. Luckily things are going well so far and the other site seemed to be nicely healed up. I hope I can get back to walking soon. Trying to do a small amount of walking today because of this gas build up. They have to put gas in the stomach during the surgery and it usually has a hard time getting out of my body because my stomach is so small. Walking usually helps with that!

• Colleen

January 29, 2020 at 5:27 pm

Brittany,
    It’s good to hear that this recent surgery has provided some hope. Another thing that should make you feel good is that your experience will possibly help someone else in the future. Now they might consider the pediatric tubes if a patients body isn’t feeling well with the adult ones.

• Margie Novak

January 30, 2020 at 9:20 pm

Brittany, prayers are with you… you have a lot to handle and you seem to have a good attitude about it. As far as staying in the hospital…yes!! In fact, back in June I had to get a tooth pulled and you would have thought it was major surgery. Had to stay in the hospital for two days. I thought “what next” I cannot get a simple toothache and it turns into a major thing. There is never a dull moment with PH — and I sometimes wish there was. take care

• Brittany Foster

January 31, 2020 at 11:48 am

@margie-novak I just got finished talking with someone else about how I just want to get a “simple thing” for once. Like why can’t I just get the common cold like everyone else? There are so many common illnesses that are “common” or typical for others but would be treated and watched entirely different for us ! It is a good thing and a bad thing all in one though. I get why they are cautious but sometimes I just feel like I need a break.