Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Using Body-Shaming to Raise Awareness of Chronic Illness

• brittany-foster

November 1, 2018 at 4:20 pm

This is such an important topic !! This is really difficult and has been really difficult for me recently. When I was a teenager and in my early 20s, I battled with an eating disorder and used eating as a distraction from the changes my body was going through physically. For me, it was a way to cope with the emotional toll of realizing I wasn’t able to physically do what I was supposed to. I lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. Being sick and in the hospital and having times even during a week where I can’t eat as much as I would like to makes it hard for me to gain weight after I have lost it. People will comment asking if I’m okay and making assumptions about a past eating disorder and it’s hard for them to understand that some days I physically cannot eat as much because of my illness, it has nothing to do with starving myself to lose the weight. I wish more people would understand this. I actually wrote a column about this topic and the fluctuations of weight with a chronic illness too. https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/2018/05/11/pulmonary-hypertension-weight-fluctations/