• Vigorous Exercise With PH

Posted by Cris Dingman on July 30, 2018 at 10:50 am

I was just reading an article on PHNews about PH patients exercise rates dictate our outcomes. I have a question, though. The article stated that we should get 2 1/2 hours vigorous exercise per week or at least 75 minutes vigorous exercise per week. I have a treadmill at home, and I do WALK around a mile a day, usually 3 times a week. Is that vigorous? Not from a “pre PH” standpoint. I am walking, not jogging… NOW vigorous exercise could mean showering! How can we know enough is enough? I know any is good, but what is enough? (Things to worry about…)

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

July 30, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Hey Cris,
    I think this would depend on what each of our bodies can handle. For some, as you said, and for some days for me exercise is just getting up to make breakfast or cook dinner. It takes a lot of my energy. I would ask the doctors about what exercise would be for you and what would be considered vigorous. Maybe it would just be a matter of how high to get your heart rate during exercise. I think pulmonary rehab would help to develop some exercise guidance and let you know more about these questions. Have they ever suggested that for you so you can get an idea about what safe exercise would be? I think safety is most important!

• Kathleen Sheffer

July 30, 2018 at 4:38 pm

Hi Cris,

I believe this is the article you’re referencing. Just want to make sure others can read it.

I’m impressed you have the discipline to get on the treadmill weekly – that’s great! My doctor recommended 30 minutes a day, but not necessarily vigorous exercise – just walking around the block and such.

There is lots of new research about the benefits of exercise for PH patients. Building your tolerance will likely make you feel better physically, and improve your mood.

• Brittany Foster

July 31, 2018 at 9:46 am

So true Kathleen! Even just being not able to exercise for the last week and half I have seen such a difference in how my mood is ! It’s amazing the way just a small amount of exercise and even doing something like light yoga can benefit my mood and give me more motivation! Sticking to exercise and not giving up is so important 🙂