• Waiting for dx: what tests prior to cath?

Posted by Sarah on November 16, 2019 at 4:21 pm

After many trips to the ER in the last 6 months, and referrals to cardiology and pulmonolgy, no one has been able to figure out why I cannot walk over 5 or 10 minutes without getting breathless, racing heart and angina.

If I don’t sit down immediately, I am unable to breathe at all, followed by feeling dizzy as if I may faint and getting mental confusion. After having to sit on several floors and curbs in order to avoid fainting, I have had to buy a walker with a seat.

I was diagnosed with asthma and a few heart things and am taking meds for racing heart and unstable angina. No one can explain why I’ve lost 30 lbs. in the last 5 months.

Yesterday I noticed one doctor’s notes mentioned my “ECHO has shown a minimally elevated PA pressure at 39mmHg. ” She sent me back to cardiology for a repeat echo, but reading this site I’m wondering if I should request the echo while I am exercising. Or some other test?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

November 18, 2019 at 11:50 am

Hi Sara,
    For me, PH was first suspected and diagnosed when I was complaining of shortness of breath with exertion. Just 4 years ago I had my first 6 minute walk test and lasted only 4 minutes and my oxygen kept dropping into the low 80s and mid 80s. They did an exerice heart cath on me since my pressures increase more with exertion and the heart has a hard time getting blood and oxygen where it needs to be going. They also do exercise echo tests. Make sure they check your oxygen levels on exertion! Especially if that is when you are getting the symptoms.

• Sarah

November 18, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Hi Brittany,
    Thank you. A few months ago, I had a stress echo and it showed hypkinesis, but they never said anything about that.

They also had nothing to say about “ECHO has shown a minimally elevated PA pressure at 39mmHg.” I don’t think that’s normal.
    Thanks,
    Sarah

• Brittany Foster

November 18, 2019 at 4:44 pm

They would need to probably do a diagnostic right heart cath to confirm the diagnosis and get accurate pressure readings. It is hard to tell exactly what may be going on from an echo so I would ask the doctor about how they feel about a right heart cath. If they test your oxygen with activity it can also give them a better idea of what may be going on.