Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions What are some of the most accessible destinations you’ve visited?

• Debbie Moore

July 18, 2023 at 7:38 am

@jenc as you know we went on a cruise to Hawaii in January.  While the cruise line was wonderful with wheelchairs, scooters, and walkers, some of the excursions were not.  We did the “easy” excursions.  When riding a bus, a foldable wheelchair or walker could be taken but not a scooter.  Going onto shore sometimes required riding a small boat where wheelchairs, scooters and walkers were not allowed or you were required to be the last to leave the ship.  Once on the excursions, there was always some walking to do, so if you tire easily a wheelchair or walker would be helpful.  The places we went a wheelchair would be fine.

• jen-cueva

July 18, 2023 at 3:13 pm

Hi @debbie, that’s wonderful about the cruise ship being so accommodating. However, the excursions need work, it sounds. We often find that we would like to do something together on adventures or things. It’s too bad.

I’ve been on a ferry before, and because I had a wheelchair, I was the first on but last off.

Hawaii is on my travel list, so that helps me when I do get to go. What types of excursions could you do, then? What kinds of adventures would you consider “easy” on that trip?

Did you enjoy the trip other than missing out on some excursions?

How have you been the last few weeks? Any new updates you want to share with us?

• Debbie Moore

July 20, 2023 at 10:09 am

@jenc our excursions included touring a farm and waterfalls on the farm (toured by van), took a railroad ride around another different type of farm with wild hogs – got to feed them, went to Pearl Harbor and went whale watching.  Only one stop had a beautiful view and you could hike up a path to look at the view from a different angle.  It was all I could do to step out of the van, maybe the elevation got me.  I didn’t take any excursions that required lots of walking.  The farm with waterfalls I would have like to take it by golf cart, not an option.  I would have liked to stop and feel the leaves, take detailed notes and pictures, absorb nature, but he drove slow, talked fast and I clicked my phone as quick as I could through the window.  Still I think it was my favorite excursion.  What we didn’t do was to really do tourist shopping.  Overall, I had a great time and was able to see the islands and there beauty.  If I were to go again, I would go to Maui and stay for a week or two – no cruise, no excursions, but would definitely need my scooter.

We leave Friday to go to Charleston, SC for a family birthday party.  We’ll stay for a week.  I started a CPAP or a BiPAP, I’m not sure which is which, so I’m hoping I can get it to fit beside my bed in the camper.  Do you know how long you have to be on a CPAP before you start feeling better?  I have felt extremely tired and have a heavy head since I’ve been on it.  I do hope it helps with the fatigue.

• jen-cueva

July 24, 2023 at 1:41 pm

Hi @debbie, thanks for sharing your experiences with the excursions while in Hawaii. It sounds like, overall, you made the best of the vacation and enjoyed the time there. The elevation certainly could have impacted how you were feeling. I’m grateful that you enjoyed the cruise with your hubby.

What a wonderful time you’ll have in Charleston. Isn’t that the area where you are from? Celebrating a family birthday sounds nice, plus a week to enjoy Charleston. Hopefully, you’ll enjoy some good food for me while you are there. Do you have any favorite places to eat while there?

After the first night, Manny recently started using his CPAP and said how much more rested he felt when he woke up. He noticed it that first night. But as far as more energy and less fatigue, it was a week or so before he mentioned he felt better. Hopefully, you have yours all set and can use it in Charleston.

He uses a nasal pillow type, so it’s not a face mask. But I will suggest you make sure your mask or whatever style they order you are well-fitting, and you try using it several nights, but then if it still feels “off,” let your RT or whoever ordered it know.

Prayers for safe travels and lots of hugs coming your way, Debbie.

• Vicky Olsen

July 21, 2023 at 12:36 am

I was just on an Alaskan cruise. Celebrity Eclipse When looking for excursions, I chose the mild activity ones. The one in Ketchikan was excellent. (Bering Sea Crab…) The big double deck boat was right beside the cruise ship. 2 people were in wheelchairs and rolled right on. They stayed on the main floor which was a good view of the activities. Saw lots of sea creatures and many bald eagles.
    I was on a whale watching tour in Juneau after a 25 minute bus ride. You had to be able to climb into a big tour bus and off again twice. After that, getting onto the boat was on a ramp. There was a woman in a wheelchair with one leg but she used crutches to get on and off the bus. Juneau and Ketchikan were right at the ship and easy to walk around but I did not note what the curbs were like.
    There was no tendering, the ship was always docked.
    So hit and miss for tours but getting around the towns should be ok. It was a great holiday.

• jen-cueva

July 24, 2023 at 1:45 pm

Hi @vicky1437, what a lovely Alaskan cruise! How long was your cruise? It sounds like you enjoyed some fun excursions and noted most areas are accessible to all in wheelchairs, etc.

What was your favorite time while on your cruise? Thanks so much for sharing your fun adventures with us all.

Both Hawaii and Alaska sound like fun places to visit. How are you feeling after this trip? Have you recharged yet? We hope you had a wonderful and memorable experience.

• Debbie Moore

July 31, 2023 at 9:40 am

@vicky1437 Thanks for the info.  We are planning on either an Alaskan cruise or taking our RV and driving.  I’m sure it was beautiful there.

• Vicky Olsen

July 25, 2023 at 12:12 am

Hi Jen, The cruise was 7 nights, Sunday to Sunday. On a sea day, the ship was near the Hubbard Glacier. The ship got as close as it could for 30 minutes for picture taking, then did a full circular turn so you didn’t have to move around the ship to see it all. The glacier had quite a hint of blue in it. It was 78° and it seemed like a beautiful, fresh spring day! This was the highlight for me. Very enjoyable!
    The last 13 times there, it had rained..

• jen-cueva

July 26, 2023 at 11:40 am

Hi @vicky1437, wow, Alaska’s Hubbard Glacier viewing sounds magnificent to experience! I’ve only seen this in books and online, but it is a memorable experience. I can understand why you’ve adventure this route 13 times before!

So, lucky trip 4 was for you! Has this always been on your travel list, or do you love cruising Alaska?

What an incredible travel adventure you shared with us all. Thanks so much! I am so grateful you could finally have this opportunity, Vicky!

• Cathy Brown

July 25, 2023 at 8:53 pm

We just went to the Adirondacks in northern New York. I’m not in a wheelchair, so I was able to manage, but I noticed things I had never paid attention to when I lived there before. Like a restaurant where you had to go down a flight of stairs to use the bathroom. And while airbnbs can seem like a great options, we had to drag an oxygen concentrator and tanks up two flights of stairs.

• jen-cueva

July 26, 2023 at 11:52 am

Hi @catbrown, the Adirondacks in NY; how was the weather for you there?

You bring up an important point. I also always think about enjoying a place in a local Airbnb. But this is often the case; there are stairs and multiple sets. Of course, you can look for areas that may be more accommodating, but I’ve found often this is a challenge. It’s doable but also limited.

Manny and I celebrated our anniversary one year by going over to Catalina Island. The boat ride was lovely, and we could see dolphins.

Then we arrive. Thankfully, we knew we could rent a golf cart to get around the island. But we load up in our golf cart with my wheelchair folded on the back and me and my POC in the front.

The small hotels on the island at that time were all multiple levels with tiny crazy stairs and no elevators. We knew that and, thankfully, only went for the day. But I could have enjoyed a night’s stay and the views from the top of the roofs of these hotels.

Also, many stores and restaurants were not accessible. Thankfully, we found a nice seafood spot along the water, and I only had to get up and walk down 2 steps to get to my seat. It was like being in another country. So, we always tend to research areas before we head there.

Some days, I can get up and walk with my O2 more than others, but others may not have this option. So, like you, Cathy, I am always looking at these things.

Thanks for sharing your adventures and the reminder to beware when considering accommodations. How long was your NY adventure? Do you have any other summer trips planned?

• Vicky Olsen

July 26, 2023 at 12:24 pm

Just to revise some wording, A crew member said “The last 13 times he had been there, it had rained.”
    It was our first time there! Even tho it is our closest port, there are still several places that I haven’t been to that I would do first.

• jen-cueva

July 31, 2023 at 12:52 pm

Aww, I got it now, @vicky1437! If I went that many times and it rained, I doubt I would try again, so I thought you were highly determined on this trip. Thanks for clarifying.

Do you have any other vacations planned this year? That Alaskan cruise sounds lovely!