Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Exercising With PH What are some of your favorite at home workouts?

• What are some of your favorite at home workouts?

Posted by brittany-foster on March 18, 2020 at 1:03 pm

I know all of us are in the same situation right now with being in isolation and away from as many people as possible. One of the things that may start to decrease is the amount of time spent exercising. But, as we know, it’s important to move and exercise as much as we can to keep our lungs and hearts in the best shape possible. Of course, all exercise should first be approved by a doctor.

I want to share a few workouts that I have done in the past at home that really help to keep me in shape.

One suggestion is body weight workouts. This means that you are using your own body weight to help strengthen muscles. There is no need for lifting with this type of exercise. My first suggestion would be a pilates workout. Youtube has free ones from “popsugar” if you type in “popsugar pilates” . I find their other workouts to be great too and I usually type in suggestions for “low impact”

Here are a few I suggest:

Pilates
    low impact cardio
    barre workout
    walking video

What are some of your “go to” at home workouts to share?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Colleen

March 18, 2020 at 1:58 pm

If someone isn’t up to an actual work out I think housekeeping is also good exercise. Since we are all stuck at home more than usual I would suggest tackling (in moderation) some of the things you have been putting off. Maybe clean out the fridge, cabinets, drawers and closets. Wash your windows (at least from the inside) and maybe do a more thorough mopping of your floors, bathrooms, etc.. No, I’m not a clean freak. I’m just suggesting this because whenever I do these things I feel like I had a good workout.

• brittany-foster

March 18, 2020 at 3:12 pm

@colleensteele so true ! Cleaning around the house was always a workout for me ! Break a sweat just making a bed some days LOL. But now really is a perfect time to start on doing parts of the house a little a time. Even just designating one day for bathrooms and another day for bedrooms. I think I would absolutely need a whole full day set aside just for all the laundry I have been slacking on. Usually my mom is able to help with this, but she is around a lot of people in her house every day so that probably isn’t the best idea right now.

• jen-cueva

March 18, 2020 at 3:54 pm

Hey, @brittany-foster and @colleensteele, this is important, and you both offer some great tips. I did my Yoga with Adrienne yesterday on YouTube. I have never tried pilates but may look at that tomorrow. I will keep y’all posted. For me, some days, doing stretches with my body is enough. Before I started doing yoga, I would do some chair exercises.

I agree with Colleen, if I clean anything during the day, I count that as exercise. I clean out my fridge and pantry often. My closet needs a Spring cleaning soon. I will go through my clothes there or within my drawers. This is on my list. My PJ and lounge clothes drawer is overflowing. Of course, I take baby steps, hehe

• jen-cueva

April 29, 2020 at 4:05 pm

I wanted to bring this topic up again since we are all on lockdown, still. I know that many are offering virtual workout classes on social media. Yesterday, I tried to do a low-impact version with a local Barre class. My thighs are killing me today. It may be a little TMI, but sitting down on a toilet has been a bit of a struggle -Hehe.

Thanks to the exercise video. I am still sore, but I am happy to know that my thigh muscles are still there-Hehe. I only did about 8 minutes of the class and at a lower intensity than the instructor. I stopped once my heart rate felt too fast, and I started to feel a little tightness.

Everyone should check with your PH team before beginning any exercise.

But, have y’all found any new ways to workout at home lately? If so, please share them with us. I realize that most of us are quite limited in what we can do.