Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition What are some of your favorite Fall foods?

• What are some of your favorite Fall foods?

Posted by jen-cueva on September 27, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Since we are headed into some cooler Fall temps soon. I wanted to see what are some of your favorite fall like recipes and/or treats.

I noticed that we tend to all like to talk about food. I am certainly a Foodie. Although, I do not always have the best appetite. I do love to cook and have family dinners when I feel up to it. I will experiment with baking but baking is not my forte, Hehe

I had, well shared some yummy apple cinnamon pancakes yesterday. These reminded me that Fall is here although it is in the 90s here, I also like to make a pumpkin or zucchini bread with chocolate chips. My Granny used to make this amazing apple cake when I was a kid. I do not have her exact recipe, but this is similar.

As far as main dishes, I enjoy one pan meals (sheetpan or skillet) dishes, soups and things that offer lots of veggies. I use my Instant Pot now for many soups and stews. I like that I can control the ingredients and add more veggies, less meat, and les sodium. I prefer to use extra garlic and fresh herbs. I also use lemon a ton, too.

Please share some of your fave Fall receipts and tips here.

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Valerie

September 28, 2019 at 6:51 am

Jen,
    mmm what an interesting recipe for an Apple pie. I must try to bake it, so many apples this year that any idea will come in handy!
    I can not eat many of the ingredients of dishes that are ordinary to other people, so I try to cook myself and make the food as healthy as possible, but tasty. In autumn I want something hot and bright, I love to cook pumpkin and carrots. Often I bake vegetables in the oven or stew vegetables, I almost do not fry food in oil. I like to just bake a lot of vegetables in a bag with olive oil and herbs, it’s so healthy and flavorful. I like to cook vegetable soups with a small amount of meat and cereals. Also, dishes in pots are very useful (fish, rice and onions and nothing more).
    And I’m a terrible baking fan (it’s kind of therapy and stress relief)! I love baking, but I do not like to mess with it for a long time and try to make baking useful. Instead of wheat flour I take rice or corn flour. I put in the cake very little dough and a lot of filling (cottage cheese, or a lot of frozen berries and fruits). I like “American pumpkin pie” with condensed milk and cinnamon (maybe it’s not that American, but I don’t know what a real American pumpkin pie looks like).

• jen-cueva

September 29, 2019 at 9:33 pm

Valerie,
      I hope that you make the apple cake and let me know how you like it. I could use a slice about now, Hehe

I also LOVE veggies roasted and soups. Tonight we had a roasted chicken and veggie sheet pan dinner. I used two chicken breast and whatever veggies that I needed to use up. I had one potato, some rainbow carrots, onion, celery, and a zucchini. I toss it all with lemon, herbs and olive oil and bake. I love those and one-pot meals as it is easy to clean up, too.

I am not a fan of pumpkin pie. My hubby is, so I have made it a few times. I prefer cookies if baking and muffins, too. With muffins , I can use up berries, oats, and nuts that I need to use.

• Brittany Foster

September 30, 2019 at 10:00 am

Jen,
    I LOVE making food and baking and the Fall is the perfect time to bake things. My mom has always had the BEST old fashion apple crisp recipe and you can’t get any better than apple crisp with french vanilla ice cream. It’s my absolute favorite treat! I am a big pumpkin fan (I know, BASIC) haha! But I love the flavor. Pumpkin bread, muffins, pie, cake, you name it I’ll eat it haha! It’s funny because I cannot STAND apple sauce or apple juice (it reminds me too much of the hospital when I was younger and I gag at the smell of it) BUT I love apple things too like apple pie and my mom’s apple crisp. I will try to get the recipe for that. I think it is from an old school Betty Crocker recipe book!

• jen-cueva

September 30, 2019 at 1:59 pm

Oh, Brittany,
      That apple crisp sounds yummy. Yes, please share when you find your mom’s recipe.

Funny you mention the apple juice and applesauce. I am not a huge fan of either. But, occasionally I like to get those little glass jars of apple juice. Do you remember those? I will usually just buy one and wait for it to get nice and cold.

You sound like my daughter, she loves anything pumpkin. Hehe
      She makes baked goods, soups, chili, even smoothies with pumpkin. I will eat it some but I am not “pumpkin spice” crazed. Hehe

• Brittany Foster

September 30, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Pumpkin spice usually goes in way and comes out the other almost immediately (if you catch what I’m saying) hahaha! But seriously though, I’ve had this conversation with tons of people and it happens to a lot of people when they have pumpkin spice so I KNOW I’m not alone in this haha!

• jen-cueva

October 1, 2019 at 4:22 pm

Oh Brittany, you always crack me up. I am sure that that PSL may be an issue for some. I often have that same issue if I drink Frapps, or anything overly sweet. For example, if I get a caramel latte extra caramel and it is hot, it does that, too.

• Brittany Foster

October 1, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Jen,
        I totally get that too. I think it is the artificial sweetener that they use in a lot of the syrups too! LOL I love that this is a safe space for us to bond over our bowel habits after eating certain foods LOL! too funny!

• Robin Webster

October 1, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Although summer is my favorite season, I do love cooking fall meals. One of my baking specialties is a killer apple dumpling. I usually have a day when I prep a couple dozen of these and freeze them individually (along with their seasoning packet) so I can just add butter and bake — making one or half a dozen, depending on who all is at home. I also love all kinds of soups and have lots of low sodium favorites. I have a great pumpkin soup and also just recently tried making it with a butternut squash, which was just as good! We also love to fill a giant sheet pan with lots of freshly diced fall vegetables and roast them. Sometimes I’ll just roast diced beets and then make a beautiful, lavender colored soup out of them. And I like to spatchcock a chicken for roasting to speed up the cook time when I’ve had to work all day. I mix up a no-salt dry rub for it, and it’s just delicious. There’s a great fall shredded brussel sprout salad I found on Pinterest that we just love. I also found a really good Pinterest recipe that we fell in love with called cheese stuffed apple chicken meatballs. (I can do just fine without the cheese in mine, but hubby is a cheese-a-holic!) If the whole family is going to be here for a Sunday meal, I usually go with a shoulder blade pork roast in the crockpot on a bed of sauerkraut mixed with sliced apples and some brown sugar. That cooks down into a really flavorful roast, and we have it with glazed carrots and mashed potatoes. Oh, I’ll stop now, because I could literally talk about food for the next 20 hours! lol! If anybody ever wants a particular tried-and-true recipe for something just give me a shout. (And if you’re looking for any recipes to address certain food issues, I will try to help with that, too. When I finished chemo, I got certified in personal nutrition, and I love anything related to cooking for specific health constraints.)

• jen-cueva

October 1, 2019 at 5:01 pm

Hehe @brittany-foster, so true…

@robin-webster, now that I am actually hungry and need to make dinner, I thank you. Man, my mouth even started to water as I thought of those fresh apple dumplings. They sound amazing.

I love using shaved Brussels sprouts in salads, too. I just started that last year as my hubby loves Brussels sprouts, me, not so much. Thanks for sharing and I think I will be over for dinner one Sunday, Hehe

Food and nutrition were fun and important topics while receiving chemo. Thanks for sharing. I hope your week is going well.

• Brittany Foster

October 1, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Robin,
      your explanation of all that food is making my mouth water! I absolutely LOVE everything that you just mentioned. I love doing soups like butternut squash soup too. I haven’t exactly made it myself yet, but I have had it from restaurants when it’s on the menu and it’s one of my favorites, especially in the Fall. Roasting vegetables is great too and you can use it for multiple meals during the week if you make enough of it. I usually buy the already pre-cut mix of vegetables that just need oven roasting. Sometimes it just feels like too much to cut everything up myself and the mixes in the bag are pretty tasty! I love roasted brussel sprouts and roasted sweet potatoes or candy yams. Those are my favorites.