Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What are your go to relaxation techniques?

• What are your go to relaxation techniques?

Posted by brittany-foster on March 25, 2019 at 5:00 pm

There’s always going to be times in life where there is more stress. These stressful times call for relaxation. Lately I have needed to help myself relax. Usually this would include a bath with some awesome bath bombs, but I haven’t been able to do that lately because of my feeding tube.

Some ways to relax that I have used are, breathing exercises and meditation, stress relief yoga that doesn’t involve any cardio at all. I like the yoga with Adrienne videos on youtube.

What are some of your “go to” relaxation techniques? What helps you relax through stressful times and helps you unwind from difficult days?

jen-cueva replied 1 year ago 7 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • jen-cueva

March 26, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Hi Brittany! I know off subject, but since I’ve been MIA , when’s tour surgery ? Did you get it scheduled? ( sorry, I’m sure that has been stressful and cause of any)

For relaxation, I like to cook, when I feel good. I also like to read uplifting and funny books or articles . I, too, love a warm bath with some moisturizing bath bombs! Ohh Brittany, once you can enjoy that again, I know you’ll be happy!

I also love to sit outside in the sun when I can, I’m on the Texas Gulf Coast m so today after labs , Sasha and I sit out back in the lounge chair looking at the pool and it’s so relaxing! It’s about 68 and sunshine today, thankfully ! Another thing, I like to watch funny sitcoms and movies to keep me occupied and laughing ! I’ll also call a friend or family member , if I feel up to it !

Ohh I definitely want to look up those yoga videos as I’ve been procrastinating, lol

• brittany-foster

March 26, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Hi Jen,
      You didn’t miss much, I still didn’t get a surgery date. They had a meeting last Wednesday where they decided what other surgeon would be working on this with my current surgeon I have. Hopefully I hear back soon, If not I plan on going to the hospital on Thursday because this has been a lot to manage on my own and it has just been too long waiting around.

I also love cooking and baking but it would be like torture because I am unable to eat and on the PEG tube. I wish it was 68 and sunny where I am but I did get outside for a little bit and played with my nephew which helped to relax me and take my mind off of things. Funny sitcoms are great too! I love ones with a dry sense of humor like Parks and Rec!

• christopher-cassata-bobby-shows

March 26, 2019 at 6:09 pm

I do my circular breathing. In through the nose out through the mouth. I Start with breaths as big as I Can then I work backwards until they are normal breaths and I am feeling calm. There always is apart where my active mind tries to take over before the calm. The trick is to keep focus on your breath. Then it will subside. Once past the “active mind” slows down, I find I am at peace and can remove thoughts, and go into deep prayer. Asking to be healed and to heal others as it is not fair in my mind just to be healed alone. I pray for myself, my family, friends, and all those struggling and hurting and lastly for those that do not know they need prayers.

• brittany-foster

March 27, 2019 at 9:51 am

That sounds like a great way to calm your mind and your body. I love how you use prayer for yourself and for others. Thinking about helping others always helps my mind in so many ways and prayer is a wonderful way to let go of what is worrying you. I love the circular breathing, I have never heard of that ! I will definitely give that a try ! love it!

• robin-webster

March 26, 2019 at 10:40 pm

Cooking is what distracts me from all the health issues. But admittedly that was a lot more fun when I could actually EAT. Since all my G.I. issues have become much worse, I feel more like I HAVE to cook rather than I GET to cook. I’m a real stickler for nutrition or else I’d probably just tell my husband to get himself some take-out. I try to meditate, but I’m not as capable of it as I used to be. And I can’t even seem to do yoga any more. I feel like even my internal organs are “in a knot,” let alone my muscles. I’m hoping to pick up on something that will allow me to unwind my body and soul without taking a xanax, because I don’t even want to take the pills I HAVE to take.

• brittany-foster

March 27, 2019 at 9:55 am

Robin,
      I feel you on this one. I also haven’t been into cooking or baking anything because of getting m G tube put in and I’m just on baby food mixture through the tube which is absolutely horrific and has been hard for me to find a formula that works that I don’t have to forcefully push through the tube to my stomach. I’m sorry the meditation and yoga is difficult for you. On my really hard days, even just getting 5 minutes of rest time and breathing time in starts to make somewhat of a difference. I’ve been really into reading lately and it has been a great distraction. One of my good friends introduced me to the Harry Potter series and I LOVED it and now am watching the movies with my boyfriend and currently on the 5th movie and don’t want them to end ! This is actually what my things I’ve been “looking forward” to has looked like lately because I really can’t do much as I wait around to even hear back on a surgery date.

• rayetta

March 29, 2019 at 5:02 pm

I have recently found several guided mindfulness videos on youtube. I find that when I am focusing on my breathing, listening and following along with the guided meditations that I tend to allow myself to relax and forget about everything else around me. I have recently started doing these and I really feel that they help me. I also like to just allow myself to be and go in a whole different world through reading.

• brittany-foster

April 1, 2019 at 9:03 am

Rayetta,
      Are there specific ones on youtube that you would recommend? I would love to try some of these. I need some good ones and I find that breathing exercises and focusing on my breath does help me a lot with my stress and anxiety, especially right before bed so my mind doesn’t race as much. I also love reading ! What books have you been reading lately? I just finished the Harry Potter series for the first time and it was great ! Now my boyfriend and I are watching the movies. We are on the 6th movie.

• joanne-sperando

March 29, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Massage! I belong to a local place and pay monthly. Nothing relaxes like massage. I also do a Gentle Yoga class and meditation. SO many benefits.

• brittany-foster

April 1, 2019 at 8:52 am

Joanne,
      I LOVE massages. Before I started having a lot of difficulties this past Winter, I would go for deep tissue massage every 3 weeks. I have been going to the same person since I was in 7th grade. It truly made such a difference to how my body felt and I could literally feel the tension points in my body which hurts like heck but still felt amazing after. gentle yoga just sounds fabulous too! So many things I want to try when I am able to!

• Colleen

February 20, 2023 at 10:06 am

Looking for an excuse to relax and get comfy today? Well, here it is…

Why you should focus on patient and caregiver self-care today

In the column above I share 2 fantastic gifts I received that help me get comfy-cozy.

What will comfy look like for you today?

• Colleen

February 21, 2023 at 5:13 pm

Did anyone get comfy on Monday? I wish I did but I couldn’t justify not doing some things that needed to get done. Hopefully I’ll make it up later this week while my youngest is home visiting.

• jen-cueva

February 22, 2023 at 1:57 pm

Hi @colleensteele, apologies since I thought I responded to this post yesterday. I did get comfy on Monday. I was in sweats and a sweatshirt and fuzzy socks all day.

I remember the day when Cullen wore your pink “bunny suit.”That’s so cute.

How about your massager? I wonder if Manny would like that because he gets migraines, too.

Those are cool gifts that patients and caregivers would both enjoy. Burnout is such a common occurrence in our community.

I enjoy warm baths, heating blankets, and cooking when I can and am up to it. I think it’s a great way to spend time and relax. PJ days or lounge clothes days are also helpful when I have no appointments or don’t have errands.

What do you think? Do you have any other ideas for relieving stress or staying comfortable? I’m always looking for new things to try. Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed your
        column and learning about the gifts and how you have found them beneficial.

• jen-cueva

February 22, 2023 at 2:01 pm

Hi @joanne-sperando, a masssage sounds amaazing. I’ve only had one or two ever. However, I can’t tolerate it too rough, so they must knead and massage lightly. Do you have that problem at all?

However, I love the spa scents from the oils and the heat. I may have to check on Groupon soon and find a massage near me.

• joanne-sperando

February 22, 2023 at 3:16 pm

@jenc, A good masseuse will absolutely ask you what pressure you prefer. I always say light pressure please and if she needs a reminder during, I let her know…

Several years back, I was at a full service salon and when they heard that I was on blood thinners, they said that disqualified me! I was shocked but they’d had a bad experience with someone else who became very bruised after a massage so they just ruled us out completely. The place I go to now does facials and massage and don’t have any objection to those of us on blood thinners, thank goodness.

• jen-cueva

February 23, 2023 at 2:17 pm

Hi @joanne-sperando, I’m grateful you have found a place that offers the facials and massages you need and enjoy.

I’ve walked into a few “med spas,” and seeing my oxygen makes them nervous, too. I think that’s one main reason I haven’t had more. So, I can imagine the blood thinner struggle.

Although I am not on blood thinners now, I also have anemia and bruise so easily.

It’s been a while since you posted. Thanks for sharing your experience; I hope you have enjoyed a few massagers recently. How have you been?

• Colleen

February 23, 2023 at 4:03 pm

Wow @joanne-sperando I never thought about how blood thinners might effect a message. Do they straight out ask people if they are on them or did you just happen to bring it up? So glad you didn’t give up on the experience and found a place that can provide the TLC you need.

• jen-cueva

February 24, 2023 at 1:10 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I have been asked on a questionnaire at reputable med spas about medications, including blood thinners, and my medical history. I am unsure if this is the most spas, so I would love to hear @joanne-sperando’s thoughts on this question.

• joanne-sperando

February 24, 2023 at 11:15 pm

@colleensteele @jenc I have one coming up! I joined a local Hand & Stone and pay monthly. I try to go regularly because the benefits are immeasurable. To answer your question Colleen, when you join a spa, they do ask you to fill out paperwork about yourself that includes meds, illnesses, old injuries, etc. The one that objected to me all those years ago wasn’t like Hand & Stone, they were more hair, nails, makeup. Massage was a small part. If you have a really good masseuse, the experience can really transport you to a state of complete relaxation-exactly what a PH patient needs, right? 🙂

• jen-cueva

February 28, 2023 at 1:26 pm

Hi @joanne-sperando, I’ve heard of Hand and Stone. That’s a great way to practice self-care by purchasing a plan to pay monthly to treat yourself.

My sister has something similar at Massage Envy. She goes monthly, if not more often. She’s been known to take a destressing day off work and head there to decompress.

I believe we had Massage Envy and Hand and Stone near my old house in Texas. I need to look into something like this. I enjoy mani/pedis and doing my hair, which only adds to the relaxation. You’re absolutely right; complete relaxation is much needed for us within the PH community.

Enjoy your next spa treatment; you deserve it! BTW, any sign of Spring up there yet?