Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What Blossoms In A Hospital?

• What Blossoms In A Hospital?

Posted by Colleen on May 10, 2022 at 2:07 pm

It’s May and nature is blossoming all around us but what if you are in the hospital? What blossoms there that you can appreciate?

I believe that “Hospitals Grow Good People,” which is the title of a column I wrote last month. In it, I shared how people seem to blossom with genuine kindness, compassion, empathy, respect, and neighborly traits when they are in the hospital.

I’ve witnessed patients, caregivers, and family members go out of their way to help others by taking a moment to hold an elevator or door open, pay for a stranger’s lunch, or help someone navigate the confusing corridors of the hospital. Empathy and understanding abound instead of the judgment and disrespect we see all too often in everyday life. No one pulls out a camera to record someone having a bad day, instead they pull out a helping hand or say something to help, not hurt.

I could give many examples but what are yours? What kinds of good people have you seen hospitals grow?

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 10 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jen-cueva

May 11, 2022 at 10:58 am

I loved this column, @colleensteele. Working in hospitals and now as a patient, I do see love blossoming around the place. I always think that the ones who are dealing with the most are the ones that often shine and blossom.

Your mention of lending a hand, not pulling out a camera to video, makes a huge statement. I find this all too common nowadays outside the hospital. This saddens me – hopefully, others can read this and find that empathy as they decide to reach out and extend their hands, not reach for that phone to video or take pictures when someone needs help.

I know my nursing background helped me blossom, and then, as a patient, I can see how much more I’ve blossomed through my roughest struggles and can help others as I share empathy and a hand.

I’ve met many patients and healthcare providers that learned to blossom while at the hospital. It seems to do that to many. For others, it may not make a difference. Thanks for this lovely piece. Well done, my friend, and FWW!

• Colleen

May 11, 2022 at 4:10 pm

@jenc I love your perspective given as a nurse and patient. I’ve heard people comment about how hospital life is so different from the real world, but most of the time they mean that in a bad way. But when you look at it from this angle, time spent in hospitals can bring out the best in people.

• jen-cueva

May 12, 2022 at 3:27 pm

Well said, @colleensteele! I agree; many think all bad when hospitals come to mind. I’ve experienced many blossomings in myself and by watching others in a hospital setting. This was such a creative spin but eye-opening for those who can’t relate.

• jill-upshaw

May 12, 2022 at 2:47 pm

I was in the hospital last week – actually 2 hospitals and 2 ambulance rides but I am fine now. But 2 things stood out. First one of my paramedics recognized me from Vanderbilt and he sensed I was getting a little on the scared side when I arrived at the second ER. A crazy drunk came right up to me and the paramedic got rid of him and told me that I did not need to worry and that he was staying with me until I got to a room and settled. The ER was a zoo and I was not doing too well. I really appreciated him to say the least. Secondly, I am on Adempas so each time I have to remind people that no matter what, don’t give me any nitrates and also making sure that my medicine is spaced out correctly. Well, this 4th year nursing student got put on the spot by her supervising nurse that was grilling her on what Adempas was, side effects, etc. I sensed that her supervisor did not have a clue and was sticking it to the student. I politely started answering the questions for her and then told her that I doubted that her supervisor knew either while looking the supervisor in the eye and smiling. It actually went well and the previously snotty supervisor asked me if I would share more about the diagnosis, treatment, meds, etc. She confessed she knew very little and was actually nice. She then brought some more students in for me to talk to….once a nurse, always a nurse……

• jen-cueva

May 12, 2022 at 3:32 pm

Oh No, @upshtcx, I hate to hear of your recent hospitalizations and ambulance rides! But happy that you’re doing better now.

I admire you for taking the time to educate the students and also point out that most nurses, and supervisors, included, may not be familiar with PH and our treatments. Like you, I try and find the time to educate when I feel like they have no clue. Some nurses appreciate that, and others do not so much. Hehe.

Once a nurse…always a nurse, true statement, my PHriend. Take care and get rid of that extra fluid from your yummy meal yesterday.

I’m sending gentle hugs and many prayers are coming your way to feeling even better.