Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What Distracts You From Your PH?

• What Distracts You From Your PH?

Posted by Colleen on March 9, 2020 at 6:19 pm

When my son had PH and even now, 5 years post-transplant, I still find myself thinking about his health more often than not. This issue was much worse when he had PH. I would miss parts of TV shows and movies because my mind wandered off. If reading a book I often had to turn back a few pages because I lost focus. While gardening, sitting on my porch, going for a drive, doing housework…you name it, I would start thinking about my son’s PH.

The one thing that continues to help me focus on something else is music. A song can take me back in time, change my mood, distract me with it’s lyrics by making me sing along, etc..

What are you able to enjoy that can totally take your mind off of PH, even if it’s just for a short time?

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • rosemary-rose

March 9, 2020 at 7:27 pm

Yes music helps distract for a little while. I love going down memory lane when a good song comes on. I am the same way I have to sing it out loud. Thank goodness nobody can hear me lol. My puppies (a schnoodle and a miniature german schnauzer) really help me take my mind off my PH and health issues. They make me laugh and smile. They are just such cuddly little fur babies. Having dinner and/or game night with my kids, grandkids and friends is a wonderful way to get my mind distracted and to definitely cheer myself up. And I have my spiritual faith which immensely helps in calming my fears and anxiety. When I get really down I think about how many blessings I do have in my life????

• brittany-foster

March 10, 2020 at 1:44 pm

@robo2677 This is such a good way to put your mind at ease! I love that your dog is a huge help for you too. I have a puppy and he is almost 8 months old. We got him when he was 3 months and I honestly can’t even picture my life before having him. He is such a blessing to me and is the main thing that I look forward to seeing at the end of the day and through the day. He reminds me to slow down and take breaks and has really helped me to get outside as much as possible during the day.

• Colleen

March 10, 2020 at 2:50 pm

@robo2677 yes, game night is a great distraction! We use to often do that but now that my boys are grown we have gotten away from it. Hmmm, maybe I will recommend that this weekend. We are all trying to stay home as much as possible because of the virus so it’s a good time to have a family game night. What are your favorites to play? We love Monopoly but my husband will occasionally go on-line and order some random game we never heard of just for some change and challenge.

My faith is very important to me. It has gotten me through a LOT! I’m not attending Mass on Sunday’s right now because of the virus and a feel both guilty and a bit lost without it.

• brittany-foster

March 11, 2020 at 10:38 am

@colleensteele maybe your church community or people within your community could set up something like a virtual or online prayer or service. That would probably be a good idea to do something online or take part in something that is online ! I wonder if they have ones like this already that are good to follow and be a part of? Thinking of the times when people are in hospitals and they can still get that virtual feel of positivity and support that comes with going to church. I know it’s not the same, but still something!

• sandra-guajardo

March 11, 2020 at 4:04 pm

I enjoy sitting in my backyard watching the birds and ducks flying in to steal the birds food. My outside cats always join me join me to get their ears rubbed. It’s amazing how our pets make such a difference in our lives and can put a smile on our faces even on difficult days.

• Colleen

March 11, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Brittany, you know I forgot that I use to do that when Cullen was recovering from transplant. I do know a few parishes that provide their Mass live on-line. Thanks. I’m going to do that this Sunday.

• Colleen

March 11, 2020 at 7:44 pm

@sandra-guajardoutrgv-edu animals are the best. I hadn’t thought about it but watching the birds at my window feeders and my cat’s reaction to them does take my mind off of things. My son’s dog has helped him through a lot too. The best therapy ever!

• brittany-foster

March 11, 2020 at 7:52 pm

Sandra,
    That is definitely something mindful and very in the moment that you do to help distract and calm your mind. I’m sure it helps to have your pets around then too!