• What do you do if your electric goes out from a storm?

Posted by brittany-foster on April 13, 2020 at 7:58 am

One of our forum members @carol-alexander posted a question about what to do if power goes out during a storm. It is possible that she may loser power due to a warning of severe weather. I know that Carol isn’t the only one who is worried about losing power. In Rhode Island, we have a warning for winds up to 75mph today into tomorrow with heavy rain. It is possible that we may lose power during this time. This can be a real problem for those of us that are dependent on their power to charge their oxygen or to use medical equipment.

In the past, I have given doctor’s notes and filled out forms for National Grid (our electric and gas company). The forms stated that if in an emergency situation, my house would need to be a priority to put power back on. The company also is not able to turn my power off unexpectedly (like if I forget to pay a bill). This is something that companies have and a form that needs to be completed or signed by the doctor that is caring for you.

Has anyone had experience with losing power and how did it impact your health or treatment? Have you signed any forms like this for the electric company in case of a power outage or in case of emergency? What is your plan if you lose power and can’t get the treatment you need in that time?

Let us know in the forums!

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 12 months ago 6 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • jen-cueva

April 13, 2020 at 9:01 am

Good morning all, @carol-alexander. I hope that y’all are safe this morning. There were some rough storms through several states last night.

Living along the Texas Gulf Coast, we usually worry about Hurricanes. For this reason, I have to stay prepared. Like @brittany-foster mentions, I also have a form from my power provider that my daughter completed. I want to say, and it is called a “Critical Care ” form here. Pretty much, it is similar to what Brittany speaks of.

I also have a backup battery for my POC, as well as several large E-tanks of oxygen for backup as well. Many people here have a home generator that will take over when a storm pops in. Sadly, these are quite costly. We do have a small generator that helps, but we can only run one appliance. So, we either have our refrigerator on it or my oxygen concentrator. Does anyone else have a home generator or portable one for storms?

I hope that everyone stays safe in the storms and keep us all updated.

• Carol alexander

April 13, 2020 at 9:40 am

Hello everyone I just called my provider ppl and they said they have no such forms to call if electric goes out in case that happens just try and get through.If iam lucky enough to get through they would make me a propriety.
    Thanks again Carol

• jen-cueva

April 13, 2020 at 9:43 am

Oh No @carol-alexander, do you have any backup oxygen tanks or anything that may help? Please stay safe. In some areas, they have storm shelters where some go for medical needs. I can understand this may not be ideal, especially among the COVID-19 outbreaks.

How are you feeling today, otherwise? Hugs and prayers are coming your way from Texas.

• brittany-foster

April 13, 2020 at 12:11 pm

@carol-alexander I am so sorry that they don’t have a form like this. Maybe it would be best to call your oxygen provider and ask them what people usually do in case of an emergency. I think that they would be more informed about this, especially when it comes to state specific requirements. Like Jen said, having a generator might help in these situations. But, it kind of is impossible to just run out an get one right now, especially with everything going on. I hope you have enough back up supplies!

• Colleen

April 13, 2020 at 12:33 pm

@carol-alexander I’m really sorry to hear that was the response that your provider gave you. If not a form, can’t that write a short note for you to hand in to the power company? If not, maybe you can find an old after patient care form that shares your PH condition. Like @brittany-foster suggested, calling your oxygen provider for advice might be helpful too.

Our gas and electric company had information about my son on file. We did lose power a few times when he had PH and he just used his cylinders until it came back on. Luckily, we never lost power for long periods of time. I think if we lost power for days, then I would have probably taken him to the ER and explained the situation.

• brittany-foster

April 14, 2020 at 7:54 am

@colleensteele yea I definitely would have gone to the ER if I didn’t have what I needed because of the power. But, I feel like this can be avoided if you come up with a plan with the doctor or with the electric company. I know they have some type of response plan like this. I would think all companies have that, it probably is just not a question that they get very often so the person answering may not have known all the information. I think the oxygen company would know more or even the doctor’s office might have an idea of who to get in contact with. Hope you had some better luck but also hope that you didn’t lose your power @carol-alexander how are you holding up? luckily we didn’t lose ours here with the 75 mph winds. A town right next to me lose it though and it just went back on today.

• nancy-mcsweeney

April 14, 2020 at 4:16 pm

I have filled out the forms for the electric company, plus I have two portables, two wheeled tanks and a 24-hour tank left by oxygen supplier for emergencies. If that is not enough, doctor said to go to ER. So far, I have not had to go to ER although we have had a few short outages.

• Colleen

April 14, 2020 at 4:20 pm

@nancy-mcsweeney it sounds like you have done everything possible to meet your needs in case of an outage. Filling out the forms for the electric company can only help, but I ultimately I think the best we can do is to make an effort to always have extra supplies on hand. May your good luck in never having to go to the ER during an outage, continue!

• jen-cueva

April 14, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Hi @nancy-mcsweeney, it sounds like you are prepared. I am happy to hear that, too. It certainly is helpful if needed. I always like to have more on hand than not enough. I also would go to the ER if I could not manage at home for something like a power outage. As I mentioned earlier, having a small generator as a back up for me helps, although it may not be enough in some instances.

Thanks for sharing.

• nancy-mcsweeney

April 14, 2020 at 6:31 pm

A generator would not work for me as I live in condo very close to the street. I understand that a generator has to be outside so many feet away from your dwelling. I don’t remember how far, but I am very close to street.

• brittany-foster

April 15, 2020 at 8:06 am

@nancy-mcsweeney yes, same with me. I live in a townhouse which is essentially a condo style house so I would not be able to have a generator. I also had that very large oxygen tank that would provide for oxygen in case of an emergency and had those forms to fill out. Actually, upon getting my oxygen from the company they provided me with this information on the electric company and what to do to prevent emergencies if the power went out. It was really helpful at the time and I wish more companies would willingly provide this information upon someone receiving their oxygen supplies. After this pandemic I have seen the importance of emergency plans being in place for what happens “just in case”. It’s better to be prepared than under prepared.

• jen-cueva

April 15, 2020 at 5:06 pm

@nancy-mcsweeney, when we pretty well kept up-to-date as we live in a hurricane-prone area. I believe the distance is usually 15 feet away from your home. I would check with local emergency management or HOA.

@brittany-foster, I am sure this will have everyone looking more closely at planning for emergencies. Although this is far from a positive experience, we can take positives away like better pre[paring for emergencies. Would you agree?

• jen-cueva

April 15, 2020 at 5:08 pm

@carol-alexander. I am hoping that you are safe and will update us when you can. We certainly are worried about our members and want you to know that we are here.

• nancy-mcsweeney

April 15, 2020 at 6:51 pm

Thanks Jen, I’m afraid 15 feet would put the generator on the sidewalk in front of my condo. I did check into that.

• jen-cueva

April 16, 2020 at 10:32 am

@nancy-mcsweeney, I am glad that you have checked into that. How are you doing today?

• nancy-mcsweeney

April 16, 2020 at 12:09 pm

Hi Jen – thanks for asking. Feel tired, but am up and about. How about you?

• alfred-gronroos

April 17, 2020 at 1:22 pm

Hi from Arizona. When we moved here the electric company, APS, had info on their policy which is a form to fill out, signed by doctor to put medical users on priority for power outages. But I also keep a big supply of tanks on hand in case – my oxygen company says VA would not like the amount I HAVE BUT I have lived in the country all my life prior to AZ. And off the grid 18 years and on oxygen some of that time at 8500 feet.

• Colleen

April 17, 2020 at 4:46 pm

@alfredjohn it’s good to hear from you! To be honest, we often fibbed to our company about how many tanks we had on hand, just for that reason. What they considered a sufficient supply in case of an emergency never felt like enough to us. When received his transplant and no longer needed supplemental oxygen, I think the carrier was a little surprised by how many tanks we had remaining for him to pick up. I’m not saying we hoarded them the way people are hoarding toilet paper these days, it honestly was a reasonable stash for emergency purposes.

• jen-cueva

April 17, 2020 at 4:53 pm

@alfredjohn, I am glad that you have the forms and extra tanks. Like Colleen, I fib, too. I tell them a few fewer tanks. Living in a hurricane-prone area, most of the oxygen patients here do have several large back-ups. Plus, our small generator.

That is so interesting that you’ve lived off the grid for years and on oxygen. How did you prepare there? I mean, as far as oxygen tanks? Were you able to use all tanks or any like home-fill system?

• brittany-foster

April 18, 2020 at 8:05 am

@colleensteele even if you were hoarding oxygen tanks, I wouldn’t blame you at all! It is way better to be over prepared for emergency situations than being under-prepared (hence this pandemic going on!) So, you collect all those oxygen tanks you need LOL Even though I know you don’t need them anymore. Sometimes when they come to pick up my supplies too they are surprised by how much I have. But, the tanks should still be changed and exchanged when needed.

• alfred-gronroos

April 20, 2020 at 10:10 am

Hi Jen, Colleen, Brittany and all readers. In Colorado I had a great Rotech company for the delivery of my tanks etc. They had to come 83 miles to deliver supplies. Logically extra tanks were needed for emergency usage. We had snow, ice, fires, floods. I had a capability of hooking two tanks together for nite time udage
    But the big thing was their excellent service and assistance to keep me on oxygen.

• jen-cueva

April 20, 2020 at 11:45 am

Wow, @alfredjohn, that is great news about Rotech. I am in Texas and have never heard of them. Service goes a long way, especially nowadays.

That sounds like an “off the grid” way of life worked for you. How long did you say that you lived out there?