Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What exciting new habit can you kick-start this month to elevate yourself?

• What exciting new habit can you kick-start this month to elevate yourself?

Posted by jen-cueva on September 19, 2023 at 2:32 pm

Ready to embrace the winds of change this September? It’s Self-Improvement Month! While many set goals in January, there’s something magical about this time of year. As the seasons shift, it’s the prime opportunity to ignite personal growth.

But here’s the thing: age is just a number. Some think they’re too old to learn new habits, but I disagree. We can all continue to learn and evolve, no matter our age.

So, let’s chat! What are your thoughts? What exciting new habit can you kick-start this month to elevate yourself? Let’s embark on this journey of self-improvement together!

jen-cueva replied 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Darlene L Habicht

September 28, 2023 at 11:09 am

My new habit is self compassion/care. I’m 63 yrs. old and it’s past time to take care of me. It’s taking alot of self reflection, not feeling guilty or selfish and changing my self talk. It feels good to be good to myself. I deserve it. I’m starting to see improvement physically, mentally and emotionally.

• jen-cueva

September 28, 2023 at 7:06 pm

Hi, @Darlene L Habicht; I LOVE your new habit of self-care! You deserve it, my PHriend. Doesn’t it feel good to care for yourself and not feel guilty? At 63 years young, you keep doing this and remember you are worth it!

I’m working on this myself; it’s a constant work in progress since I still feel guilty most days. But guess what? Today, I went to have a massage; it was only my second one! My daughter found a new place where she enjoys a massage monthly. They had a 50% off coupon, and I scheduled a full-hour body massage. With my coupon, I didn’t feel guilty. But it’s been so long, I told her that may be my new habit!

Thanks so much for sharing this new habit and how it affects your overall health, Darlene. Is anyone else doing anything this month for self-care?

#selfcareSept

• Colleen

September 28, 2023 at 10:20 pm

@Darlene L Habicht Implementing self-care and compassion isn’t always easy to do when you have spent a lifetime putting others first, but it’s essential to try. I hope that the more you try the less it will feel like trying and as @Jen C suggests, becomes a habit! Do you feel up to sharing examples of how you have worked on this?

This is a thought-provoking topic, Jen. Self-care and self-forgiveness are two I would like to make a habit of but if I’m honest, I don’t have the time and energy right now but I have hope for myself in 2024.

• jen-cueva

September 29, 2023 at 2:34 pm

Hi, @Colleen Steele; I hope and pray that you will MAKE time to do this as you get to NJ and start fresh. January is the perfect time to start. If you can sooner, even better!

I know you aren’t writing columns yet. But your journey of prioritizing self-forgiveness and self-care would be an excellent topic. I bet many can relate.

Keeping you and the boys in my thoughts and prayers- love ya bunches, my FWW and friend.💜