Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What helps to pass the time for you while in the hospital?

• What helps to pass the time for you while in the hospital?

Posted by brittany-foster on January 3, 2019 at 4:13 pm

As some of you may know from following me on social media. I have been in the hospital for the past 8 days. I was first admitted for a colonoscopy which turned into trying to eat after and vomiting and I have been vomiting every time I try to drink or eat. I am currently going to be tube fed until my stomach decides to wake up and have better muscle contractions.

Since being here, I have found it helpful to get out of the room when I can, take walks with my oxygen in, I have some good books to read that help my mind while here, and some coloring books.

What helps you stay as positive and as level headed as possible while in the hospital? How do you like to pass the time?

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • kathleen-sheffer

January 6, 2019 at 9:51 pm

I love doing crafts in the hospital. (I also love doing them outside of the hospital, ha). Sometimes they can be hard to do with multiple IV’s in my hands (where my best veins are), but I find a way – and I’m convinced that I’m more ambidextrous because of it. We still have ornaments hanging on our tree that I made while I was hospitalized when I was in elementary school.

Friends and family would bring me craft kits you can get in the toy section. One of my favorite crafts was making flowers with colored tissue paper and pipecleaners. They brighten up the room and are better than real flowers that can contain harmful bacteria. I haven’t been hospitalized in 2 and a half years (!!!) so more recently I have brought materials to hang tissue paper pom poms around my friends’ hospital rooms. You can read how to make them here.

Tissue Paper Pom Poms

• brittany-foster

January 8, 2019 at 6:52 pm

Kathleen,
      One time I actually received a paint by numbers kit and it was one of the best things that I could have done because it really passed the time and took my mind off of things. Another thing that I did more of this hospital stay is play cards. My mom and I spent hours a day playing card games (rummy 500 is a great way to pass the time because it usually takes awhile to get to 500 points). Great suggestion and thank you for sharing the link to this !

• kaye-norlin

January 8, 2019 at 1:28 am

My computer, a stack of books and magazines, and Flea Market Flip got me through a few time sin the hospital.

• brittany-foster

January 8, 2019 at 6:49 pm

Kaye,
      The thing that I forgot to bring with me was my laptop! That is definitely on the top of the list for me to bring with me whenever I have a hospital admission (because after this time I just never know how long I’ll be in there for). Having my computer certainly would have passed the time. It was so hard for me to respond and keep active on the forums from just my phone. Also, I could have streamed some good Netflix shows !