• What is on your "to cook" or "to bake" list?

Posted by brittany-foster on November 25, 2019 at 1:31 pm

With the holidays fast approaching I’m sure people are starting to get out their best recipes (or in my case the EASIEST recipes!) I know that we have shared some recipes with one another in the past. I want to know what everyone is making (cooking, baking, or bringing with them) for the holiday. For me, I like to keep it as simple as possible. With baking I have noticed that I can get dizzy really easily from all the mixing that goes into baking goodies, the bending to check the oven, etc. I try to do as many “no bake” baking recipes as possible. I usually do oreo ball truffles. I just get melting chocolates from the grocery store, and blend up some oreos and put a little but of frosting or cream cheese after it is all blended and form into balls. I then refrigerate overnight and then dip them in the chocolate and put some sprinkles on top! They always come out great and it is really easy to make.

What are you making for the holiday? Does cooking or baking ever trigger symptoms for you? Share here!

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • jen-cueva

November 26, 2019 at 12:14 pm

Great post, Brittany. Espescelliay with the holidays nearing so soon. I like that mention the dizziness from bending over to open the oven and check on things. I also have that issue. I also get really hot fast when baking lots.

I like the Oreo truffles, too. I also do a PB ball dipped in the melting chocolate which is super easy. I also like to do a white peppermint bark when my daughter and I do our holiday baking. I have noticed through the years with PH, I have started trying more simple items, too. We always do a sugar cookie and decorate, which now my daughter is a big help when doing that.

The peppermint bark, we get peppermint candies, usually candy canes and put them in a Ziploc. We smash them with a meat tenderizer or something. We melt the white chocolate and pour it on wax paper. We scatter the peppermint pieces on top and that is it. Sometimes we add holiday sprinkles or drizzle in other holiday colors on top. Everyone asks for this every year!

• brittany-foster

November 26, 2019 at 1:13 pm

Jen,
      Candy bark is a really good idea too and is super easy to make and everyone does love it! Have you ever done the one with toffee and saltines and chocolate? There is also one with caramel, chocolate, and pretzels that I saw online. Just that combination of salt and sweet is the BEST!!! Honestly, can’t go wrong with any kind of chocolate in my opinion. I try to make my own cookies and cream bark too because those are my favorite candies ever!

• Colleen

November 26, 2019 at 7:25 pm

Well, my husband is the chef in our family but there is a tradition that I do with the Thanksgiving leftovers that my family enjoys. It’s not a big deal, I’m sure many people do this but…on toasted bread I spread cream cheese, add sliced turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, sprinkle salt and pepper then snuggle up on the sofa and watch Christmas shows.

Doesn’t really fall under cooking or baking but it’s a simple favorite of mine.

• brittany-foster

November 27, 2019 at 9:42 am

Colleen,
      Wow you are making me hungry ! I LOVED that as leftovers when I was younger. It was the best to make sandwiches out of it. My aunt always made the best sweet potato biscuits and the next day I would make about 5 sandwiches out of them hahahaha!! Growing up I always had hockey tournaments Thanksgiving weekend starting that Friday so I had to fuel up for the tournament ! That was the BEST way to do it 🙂

• Colleen

November 27, 2019 at 3:04 pm

Brittany,
    I love those kinds of memories and traditions because when you think about them you can almost smell and taste the food. I still can’t believe how you managed to play hockey! That’s both crazy and wonderful!

• sarah

November 27, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Cooking is one of the main ways I have always shown love to my family, so it’s been difficult for me to adjust to my “new normal.” I can accept the pumpkin and apple pies from Costco, but I was really hooping to be able to make their big favorite — the pean pie.

The pecan pie made with 40 caramel candies is not to be, but with my DH’s help I was able to make candied pecans instead. Another change is the pumpkin and apple pies are now made by Costco instead of by Grandma. Everyone is bringing food too.

The hardest of all is having to use paper plates instead of China. My DH has to do so much of the yardwork and housework and driving that I am no longer able to do, that I just cannot ask him to bend over to get out the China and to bend over to put them in the dishwasher, etc.

I guess my new way of showing my love for my family will have to be knowing when to ask for help from family and when to take shortcuts.

• coastalphriends

December 9, 2019 at 4:10 pm

I butterfly a 13 pound turkey and it cooks very juicy and equally in 70 minutes! Then I make potpie mix with it and vacuum pack it for meals when too tired to cook. I keep a roll-up crust in the freezer! This way all ingredients are low-sodium and fresh!

• Colleen

December 9, 2019 at 5:10 pm

Sarah,
    Both the pecan pie and candied pecans sound amazing! I think the beauty of Christmas is not just old traditions, but making new ones. Have you thought about teaching the grandchildren and/or other family members how to make the pie? The joy of passing on your recipe and watching them make it could be a nice, new tradition.

This Thanksgiving I did not get out the food china either. I bought paper plates and napkins with cute turkey’s on them. I just felt like having a more laid back holiday. A beautifully set table is special and nice but we enjoyed taking it down a notch this year. When everyone was finished, they picked up their plates, threw them out, making more time to snuggle up in the living room and enjoy each other’s company.

You are right, asking for help is a way of showing love for your family, because they love you and want you to be well and take good care of yourself!

• Colleen

December 9, 2019 at 5:11 pm

Tamara,
    That is an awesome suggestion. I might try that next year.

• brittany-foster

December 10, 2019 at 10:33 am

Sarah,
    The pie with the caramel candies sounds to die for!!! I would love that. I am a huge pie and caramel fan, even though I know I shouldn’t be eating much of it because it would most likely make my digestive system feel pretty sick. I stuck to making no bake pies this year with coop whip and cream cheese as the base. It is just made with cool whip, toppings of your choice to mix in (I do mint oreos), vanilla extract, or another extract for flavor that you want, sugar, cream cheese, and cool whip and that’s it! You put it over a crust (I do the store bought oreo crust) and then add some extra whipped topping on top to smooth it out and sprinkle some christmas sprinkles, candy or fruit topping of choice. They come out great and everyone loves it and it’s super easy to make. You can always add your own touch of something to a store bought cake or pie if you want to make it still feel like your own. Made like some caramel drizzle and extra pecans or something? Just a suggestion! Personally, I LOVE THE store bought or restaurant bought cakes and pies that my papa brings to holidays every year. The cheesecake he brings is always the best!