Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition What is one sodium rich food that you wished you could indulge on?

• sue

July 1, 2020 at 2:41 pm

I am sure any food without salt is more expensive than regular. but since I do not trust precooked food and am not sure what the sodium content is, I try not to eat it and use my money on food that I can eat. A bit off subject. I had a ground beef patties the other day with onions that were cooked in a pan until clear and cut up sun dried tomatoes mixed in the ground round before cooking, it was really good. If the tomatoes have too much salt for you, you could dry the tomatoes yourself.

• Colleen

July 1, 2020 at 3:55 pm

@margie-novak…Hoagie!!! Are you from Philly are South Jersey? That’s the only time I hear a sub called a hoagie. I grew up in South Jersey. I would love a WAWA hoagie right now or a Philly cheese steak. All high in sodium.

• Colleen

July 1, 2020 at 3:58 pm

@dawnt those patties sound delicious! My son LOVES tomatoes. I will have to give it a try!

• Colleen

July 1, 2020 at 4:02 pm

@dawnt your commitment to a low sodium diet is impressive, especially when preparing meals is hard on you physically. To be honest, we haven’t been as sodium conscious as we should have been until now. With Cullen’s kidney disease we need to become more attentive to his diet.

• jen-cueva

July 2, 2020 at 1:22 pm

Hi @sue-bouse-team, Yes, often, some of the foods that we need are a bit more costly. It also sounds like you explore options and know what you need for your body. That is amazing! I plan to check out that market. I will also share it with my daughter, who is a registered dietician, I am sure she has not heard of it, or she would have told me.

I also do most of the cooking at my house. I have a foldable stool that I use for shopping and prepping things. If it is a meal that takes a while, I will break it up into sessions, too. I also find my Instapot helpful. Thanks for sharing your tips.

It sounds like you are prepared with canned goods for some time. Those burger patties sound good. Do you mostly do low sodium or follow any other diets?

• jen-cueva

July 2, 2020 at 1:24 pm

@colleensteele, now you and @margie-novak have me craving a good Philly hoagie. I can picture it. I do not know what WAWA is but I bet I would like it, hehe.

• sue

July 3, 2020 at 1:19 am

I am a Californian, born and raised here, my mother was also, but my father was born in New Jersey but came to California when he was 10. Being allergic to wheat i just try to use a gluten free diet along with the no sodium or as little as I can cook with. I just know I feel better if I follow the diets, I do cheat once in awhile and get apiece of bread, usually stolen from my grandchildren, if they have something good, I steal enough to make a sandwich. I really miss not having good bread, most gluten free bread is really high in salt, do I cheat on the wheat, if the salt is low enough.

• Rayetta

July 6, 2020 at 1:38 am

@jenc Hi, Jen! You asked me how many people were in my household. There are two of us. We alternate cooking. I share an apartment with my boyfriend. It is really hard because he doesn’t eat fruits and veggies. When he cooks he doesn’t usually consider sodium. I have reminded him, but it just doesn’t seem to sink in, therefore I don’t have much support at home with my low sodium diet. He also buys a lot of not so good foods and I can only resist for sometime. I have talked with him, but he doesn’t seem to get it. It will probably come down to each of us cooking our own meals. I don’t like having to do that, but I know how important it is for me to cut way down on my sodium and when I do I always feel better, too.

• Janet Blumenshine

July 6, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Even though my doctor recommended watching my salt, my PAH doesn’t seem to be affected by salt. Now it is mostly my mouth that burns when I eat salt so most things don’t tempt me anymore. But, I crave sweets! I have had to cut out so many things that I once loved (coffee, tomatoes, pizza, etc) because of stomach issues caused by scleroderma. Popcorn with unsalted butter and canola oil are my “salty snack”. Or homemade carmel corn..the sweet snack. I have last 30# so don’t need to watch my weight for that reason. I am on the max doses of nifedipine, opsumit, Revatio and Uptravi. So, far so good, most days. Hope it continues.

• Colleen

July 6, 2020 at 6:25 pm

Thank you @jblum for sharing your temptations with salt and sweets. Finding balance is so hard but it sounds like you are doing a good job. If you can enjoy them in moderation that is better than gorging on the treats daily. My son loves salt and it’s a challenge for him not to reach for salty treats every day.

It’s good to hear that treatments,for the most part, are working for you. May that continue!

• Brittany Foster

July 7, 2020 at 2:17 pm

Such a good topic ! I LOVE SALTY food ! Especially when I am around my period time, the craving becomes even worse. Honestly, my craving for salt really has increased and increases when I use my lasix for some reason. When I am dehydrated, craving salt is actually one of my warning signs. Anyone else like this? Their body starts craving something when you are starting to lose electrolytes or potassium/ another vitamin? Anyways, I would have to say that Chinese food is my number one FAVORITE food and I miss it so much! Especially the noodles that are packed with salt! I get swollen for DAYS after eating chinese food. But every once in awhile I do indulge but my body pays the price for it

• Colleen

July 7, 2020 at 2:53 pm

Thank you for pointing that connection out @brittany-foster. Cullen loves salt to begin with and I’m wondering now if his craving increases with dehydration. I’m going to have to talk to him and make him aware of this possibility. I could easily see him splurging on something salty when he’s already becoming dehydrated.

• Margie Novak

July 7, 2020 at 3:38 pm

Brittany, funny you should say Chinese as I am the same way! Everytime I see the heart doctor he always says “and no Chinese food”! I would give anything to use my points (I am on a 2,000 sodium) to have an egg roll!!! Right now for me I am craving pizza!! I am going to use my points for a slice in the near future!!!” take care

Page 2 of 2