Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH What Is One Thing That You Think Will Never Be the Same After the Pandemic?

• What Is One Thing That You Think Will Never Be the Same After the Pandemic?

Posted by jen-cueva on May 11, 2021 at 1:04 pm

This morning I was listening to an early morning radio show. They were asking people what they thought may never be the same once the pandemic is over. I thought this would be a great question here. We can add a little fun in here, too.

I heard one lady say snow days. She misses them because they are doing distance learning. Also, I would have never thought about picking any bowling ball and not stressing if you will catch something from it.

I think that in-person visits will be less, and more virtual visits will continue. Another big one for me is online grocery shopping. I rarely used that before COVID.

Let’s think back over the last year. What is one thing that you think may never be the same again? It can be something serious or funny. Let’s talk about this.

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 11 months ago 7 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • Colleen

May 11, 2021 at 3:39 pm

Oh @jenc, this is a great topic!

We were using the grocery delivery prior to the epidemic but using Zoom and telemed was new to me and I can see mine and other families continuing to make use of it.

Snow days is a good one. Schools now know they can just teach from home if they need to. Poor kids…and parents!

For those with jobs manageable from home, I hope we will continue to see people not feeling as pressured to go into work sick and risk infecting others. The down side, like the snow days, playing hooky from work might not be so easy to do anymore.

• jen-cueva

May 12, 2021 at 9:40 am

Thanks, @colleensteele. I thought as I heard it that it would make a great topic for discussion.

When I think about this more, there are endless possibilities as far as answers.

Ohh, Zoom was new to me, too, before the pandemic. I am much better at it now. I had a few funnies using it with work. We had a Zoom call, and I was presenting. Instead of sharing my screen, I turned on my camera. I was so embarrassed because I was in my PJs. I thankfully had bruised my teeth that morning. When I noticed what I did wrong, I quickly apologized after turning my camera off, LOL.

You mention another good one, no playing hookey from work. These are great examples. Thanks for sharing.

• chester

May 11, 2021 at 4:46 pm

I have a feeling that we will see more people wearing masks during flu season.

• jen-cueva

May 12, 2021 at 10:01 am

Hey @chester11aol-com,

I agree with you. I do think that masks may be part of our “norm” for some time. I also think that they are planning a COVID annual booster like the flu shot. I heard this briefly on the news within the last few days.

Have you heard that? What do you think about that?

• susi-steppins

May 12, 2021 at 9:43 am

Good morning all.
    I miss traveling so much.
    Before the pandemic Brad and I used to travel frequently.
    If we weren’t going somewhere specific then we would book a weekend at a very nice hotel nearby and just hang out by the pool and have dinner.
    This will never be the same for me again.
    I will travel again, but it will be with a lot of precautions I didn’t feel was necessary before.
    Also, going out to eat has obviously changed.

• jen-cueva

May 12, 2021 at 10:06 am

Good morning, @s-steppins. I, too, had just started traveling—a bit before COVID. I am with you as traveling with not be the same. I know, like you, that I will eventually travel but with many more precaustions.

You and Brad sound like Manny and me. Going out to eat before COVID was our date night. We both enjoy food Door Dash and other delivery services are helpful but not the same experience as being in your favorite restaurants soaking up the ambiance.

What are some of your face go-to’s? We enjoyed brunch spots, and our favorite Italian, Greek, and Mexican spots have been missed.

• Colleen

May 12, 2021 at 3:44 pm

@s-steppins I agree, I think just the idea of travel will remain different for most people for a long time. I’m hoping to fly to NJ this summer to visit my parents and Cullen keeps changing his mind about whether he will go with me or not. He will be fully vaccinated by then but it’s hard for him not to still consider flying to be a great risk.

@jenc and @chester11aol-comer what I am wondering is when and if people stop wearing masks if Cullen will have even more issues than pre-pandemic when he wore his mask. Why do I imagine some people making snarky comments about the pandemic being over…take off the mask! Are people going to forget that some people need to wear masks for more than Covid reasons?

• jen-cueva

May 13, 2021 at 11:59 am

Hi @colleensteele, I know that trip to NJ is long overdue for you and the boys. But, I can understand Cullen as not quite ready to fly, even once fully vaccinated. I know that he is such a smart young man, and he knows what he will and won’t do. I love that about him. I hope he will go and do well, but I know it will be his decision in the end. Keep us posted on that. Are you planning to go in August?

Another important comment, people think that they can toss the masks because they are vaccinated. That is not true for all; I can see that as an issue with Cullen and others. I, like Cullen, already do not feel safe if I am at the lab or another place, and masks should be worn by all but not enforced. I must say this causes some anxiety for me, and I am not yet vaccinated.

• susi-steppins

May 12, 2021 at 12:09 pm

@jenc, yes to all of the types of restaurants mentioned above. 🙂
    We do like to go out to eat and it was one of the things we did to entertain ourselves.
    My favorite restaurant was Sweet Tomatoes, I believe they are called Souplantation in other states.
    It was a huge salad bar with all you can eat salads and soups.
    They closed down because of the pandemic and closed the entire chain.
    They used to serve something called Joan’s Broccoli Madness.
    Oh I will miss it.
    There is also a great restaurant called The Perfect Landing at the Centennial Airport we enjoyed going to for lunch on the weekends. Great view of the Rocky Mountains and you can watch the planes take off and land.
    Looking forward to hopefully getting back to the way things were, at least as much as they can be.

• jen-cueva

May 13, 2021 at 12:04 pm

Hi @s-steppins, oh, we had one Sweet Tomatoes on the other side of Houston. I loved that too because I love fresh salads and soups. That would be one place I would wait a while if it stays open after this. I can imagine places like that, buffet-style is not doing well. But I may be wrong.

A local buffet chain, Golden Corral, is packed anytime we drive by there, so who knows?

The perfect Landing sounds great. I love eating outdoors by the water or somewhere with a nice view. I also like live music and sunny days. Those are usually my go-to type of spots.

Once you feel safe enough to go back, I hope you will let us know how things go.

• carol-volckmann

May 12, 2021 at 4:53 pm

Great topic, had not thought about this Jen. Colleen you bring up really good questions eith Cullen. I do think people, some, will not hesitate to wear a mask now if they are not feeling well or find themselves in a situation that makes them uncomfortable because people around them are coughing- I know I will keep a mask with me now.

One thing I am looking forward to is some folks what they look like! We move to a new area and the people we have met with caution all wear a mask. It will be fun to see who is under that mask??

• jen-cueva

May 13, 2021 at 12:09 pm

Hehe, @cdvol3gmail-com, thanks for that laugh! I, too, find it difficult to see other’s faces and smile under a mask. Since I like to smile and chat with all, I have missed this immensely. For you in a new place, that must be more difficult. Maybe you will remember them by their eyes, LOL

This means that I will go back to wearing my mascara and concealer if I am not wearing a mask. After a few times doing it and then covering my face with a mask, I felt it was no use, lol.

I also stopped wearing earrings because between my O2 hose and mask, I lost a few the first part of the pandemic between home and the lab, etc. So once I am no longer using it, my earrings will come back to play, hehe.

• Colleen

May 14, 2021 at 12:51 pm

That is so funny and true @cdvol3gmail-com! When I was going to physical therapy I arrived early one day and my therapist was eating her lunch and obviously not wearing a mask. I thought to myself, “Hmm, she looks so different without the mask”.

• carol-volckmann

May 13, 2021 at 2:30 pm

Hey Jen, I forgot … not having to wear makeup! Only concealer and mascrea above the mask. Oh yeah, between ear rings, glasses and hearing aids, the hearing aids have to come off or they all get caught up – I do put ’em back in to clearly hear anything positive from the doctors!!!

• Colleen

May 14, 2021 at 12:53 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com another good one you mentioned…makeup! I wonder if cosmetic companies have taken a loss because woman aren’t wearing lipstick as often.

• jen-cueva

May 16, 2021 at 10:48 am

LOL @cdvol3gmail-com, I can see you with the glasses and hearing aids on top of everything else. And, I thought earrings were a challenge.

@colleensteele, I would think that cosmetic companies did have a loss. But, I also know many who apply make-up for their Zoom calls, etc. Not me-hehe

I also read your comment about your doctor not having her mask on because she was eating lunch. So many things that we never dreamed of discussing still a year plus after this all started. I think many of the norms now will continue for some time. Do you think masks will be a new norm for us for a bit longer?

• sandra-guajardo

May 13, 2021 at 5:07 pm

One thing that will never be the same is that birthday cakes will no longer have candles to blow out, lol. This pandemic has made me think of all the things we touch that others have also touched and we never thought twice about it.

I think my concealer expired and it’s still half full since I stopped using it.

I’m still going to wear my mask just to be on the safe side. I don’t want to be one of those rare cases that got COVID after vaccination. I’m already rare as it is with PAH!

• Colleen

May 14, 2021 at 1:03 pm

@sandra-guajardoutrgv-edu oh birthday cakes…that is a tough one to consider. I will miss the tradition but you are right, cringe…not very sanitary. The first time I really thought about it was pre-pandemic. Cullen’s first birthday after his transplant we celebrated with a small group of friends. At least it was him blowing out the candles but it made me think about the germs we share when we do that.

• jen-cueva

May 16, 2021 at 10:55 am

Hi @colleensteele, if we think back too much, we all have things that we now think we’re not the safest idea. I think that Cullen enjoyed those candles after his transplant. But, I can see where you had concerns as you look back. But, as you mention, it was him blowing out the candles, not the others.

• jen-cueva

May 16, 2021 at 10:53 am

Hi @sandra-guajardoutrgv-edu, I never thought of candles and birthday cakes. That is an important one, too.

Like you, when this pandemic started, I told my hubby that I never realized just how much I touched. It was my face and then anything outseode of my house. I started thinking about how many germs has this Amazon package has on it, etc. It drove him nuts, LOL- I am grateful that I am not the only one.

I thought that I took precautions before but realized, not enough. Once I do get my vaccination, I, too, will continue to wear my mask, especially indoors.

• aunt-lizzie

May 13, 2021 at 10:50 pm

I just typed a comment to this topic, pressed submit and it disappeared – OH well! Just wanted to say what I will miss is not being able to easily travel interstate here in Australia to visit family and friends as I usually do. Will miss sitting on the sand at the beach, eating fish and chips and watching the sun go down, while having a good laugh with friends. Stay safe everyone. Cheers.

• Colleen

May 14, 2021 at 12:57 pm

@auntlizzie that has happened to me before and what I finally figured out is if my internet flakes out for even a second and I don’t notice, I will lose my message when I hit send. Maybe that happened?

I feel your sadness not being able to do the things you mentioned. I grew up near the Jersey shore so I appreciate the love of sun and sand, fish and chips and gathering there with friends. I bet Australia has gorgeous beaches!

• aunt-lizzie

May 14, 2021 at 10:00 pm

Yes, we have great beaches. The ones I grew up with did not have crashing surf, just gentle waves, white sand and my favourite was with a stone reef that we could access at low tide. Wonderful shells to collect too. By the way – I had my Iron Infusion yesterday – still waiting to feel more energetic. The chair at the clinic had the wrong angle for my back so I’ve got lower back aches this morning. A bit of exercise should fix that. Cheers.

• jen-cueva

May 16, 2021 at 11:26 am

Hi @auntlizzie, I am sorry about the issue with posting your response. As Colleen mentions, the internet acts up, and it happens. I want to add, if that happens again, you can try signing out, clearing cookies and cache, and then signing back in. I know that can be frustrating when you are trying o respond.

I have always had Australia on my “bucket” list. I am sorry that you are missing out on the sun, surf, and most fish and chips.

We live along the Texas Gulf Coast. We are near Galveston. But, the beaches here are not the same as, say, Florida or California. We moved from California, so I miss their weather, sunshine, low humidity, and food, LOL. I am hoping to visit there in August for my daughter’s birthday.

I hope that you notice some pep from your iron infusions. Is that a one-time or a series that you are doing?

Sending you hugs and prayers that the lower back pain resolves. Enjoy your weekend.