Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Do You Have Some Favorite Low Sodium Foods or Meals?

• Do You Have Some Favorite Low Sodium Foods or Meals?

Posted by jen-cueva on June 11, 2020 at 3:46 pm

Most of us know that we need to eat low sodium foods to help with fluid retention. Do you follow a low sodium diet? I find that the summer makes it easier for me to eat more low sodium foods. I love fresh fruit and veggies. Do you?

I like to grill veggies and lean meats with fresh herbs and lemon. Lemon brings out flavors for me. If I do not have my hubby grill, I use my George Foreman indoor mini grill or do a sheet pan meal. Tossing cut up chicken breasts with a few cups of broccoli, and a few diced potatoes or carrots is a meal. I add a little olive oil, fresh lemon juice, garlic, and onion powder and in the oven.

What are some of your low sodium foods? How do you make a quick and easy low sodium meal? Share some of your favorites, and let’s talk about it.

jen-cueva replied 5 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jen-cueva

March 22, 2023 at 3:53 pm

I came across this resource as I was browsing Pinterest. Eating Well magazine is one I once subscribed to, but now you can find most things online.

This link shares a variety of heart-healthy recipes and ideas that look appealing to me. Maybe others will find a few new recipes to make your own from these.

You can read more using the link below.
    Eating Well Heart Healthy Recipes

Enjoy!

• delois-tweedy

March 23, 2023 at 9:49 am

I have been on the Eating Well site and used some of the recipes. I have found that with any foods, you can change up the ingredients to decrease sodium, while adding flavor with herbs, spices and lemon juice. That way, you can eat more of what you like! I rely a lot on the Mediterranean diet or the DASH diet.

• jen-cueva

March 23, 2023 at 11:23 am

Hi @deetweedy, you sound like me with your seasoning of foods. I also use lemon, garlic, and fresh or dried herbs to help elevate flavors without the added sodium.

I’ll tag you in any posts that I can find where we discuss those two diet plans. I love the Mediterranean Diet because I love olives, salad, and feta. However, not sure if there are low-sodium versions of feta and olives. Have you come across any? If I eat these items, I eat a small amount now, or my body pays later.

• jen-cueva

October 24, 2023 at 2:58 pm

I want to share an excellent column from a PHriend and fellow PH News columnist @Mike Naple. He also enjoys cooking and offers his thoughts and tips on low-sodium cooking. Give it. a read, and let’s hear your thoughts,

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/columns/i-love-cook-how-keep-sodium-intake-low/