Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What Is Your New Years Resolution?

• What Is Your New Years Resolution?

Posted by Colleen on December 18, 2020 at 1:27 pm

We are getting closer to 2021 and many of us are really hoping this will be a better year. What resolution(s) do you have that you hope will make it just that?

I failed this year so maybe in 2021 I will actually take better care of my own health.

DeLois Tweedy replied 3 months, 1 week ago 7 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • jen-cueva

December 24, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Thanks, @colleensteele; I am going to make sure that you do take better care of yourself. You can start by taking breaks and “me” time; You give so much to all who know you; you deserve to get the same.

I usually do not make any resolutions, but I will say that I hope to travel some. That was on my agenda for 2020 and didn’t happen. I also hope that each day I am stronger and can positively impact one person daily. Each day I want to be the best version of me that I can be.

I hope that for all of us, we will have a safer and healthier new year.

• Colleen

January 4, 2021 at 4:17 pm

@jenc I believe you positively impact a lot more than one person daily. We all missed your kindness and support during your recovery. It is so good to have you back. I know you will keep getting stronger and I hope that travel will be in the cards for you this year.

I’m focusing on acceptance this year. “…accept the things I cannot change;
      courage to change the things I can.” I wrote about it in my recent column and discussed why I’m leaving my tree up a little longer this year. Anyone else still have their tree up?

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/2020/12/29/working-towards-acceptance-2021-risks/

• jen-cueva

January 5, 2021 at 10:06 am

Thanks, @colleensteele. First off, I LOVE that column! I always try and be a better version of myself each day. Like you, I can expect that most of us spent 2020 worrying the days away. I hope and pray that this year is much better for everyone.

Thank you for your kind words and support always. I missed y’all here bunches.

Acceptance is something that I think we can all strive for. But, sorry, my tree is down. I feel like the Scrooge, hehe.

• Colleen Steele

January 3, 2024 at 2:22 pm

Anyone make any New Years resolutions for 2024? Share and tell us why this resolution is important to you.

• jen-cueva

January 4, 2024 at 2:59 pm

Hi, @Colleen; instead of making resolutions, I am working on improving in certain areas. Reflection is more of what I am doing as we head into 2024. Also, I’m finishing up a column along this line, so I don’t want to “spill the beans” all here yet.

I’ll hopefully remember to return next week and share that column for all to read. What about you? I know reading more and self-care is on your priority list, right?

• Colleen Steele

January 5, 2024 at 8:28 pm

Looking forward to reading your column, @jen-cueva . Yes, reading and self-care is on my priority resolution list but so is the following. I’ve posted this to Facebook for the past few years. I think it’s an excellent reminder of healthy, realistic goals we can all set in the new year.

• jen-cueva

January 8, 2024 at 1:57 pm

Hi @Colleen, I LOVE these goals to work towards for the new year. It’s more about healthy boundaries and self-care, which is also along the lines I shared in my column this week. I’ll share it here when it is published.

I agree with that list and hope to work on most of them. But I need to speak kindly to myself and allow my emotions to breathe. Being lazy is how I feel my new year began, hehe. I am doing better with resting and being lazy. My therapist shared that she could sense that I’ve worked hard in the last 6 months to be OK and not feel guilty while resting and being lazy!

Reading has been something I hope to do more of each year. It hasn’t worked yet. But maybe 2024 is the year we both do better with reading. 📚

• Colleen Steele

January 8, 2024 at 2:46 pm

@jen-cueva it sounds like we are walking the same path so far this year. I am also struggling to speak kindly to myself. I’ve been “lazy” yesterday and today. I moved in with my parents to help them but I’ve been spending a lot of time alone in my room, sleeping, watching tv and grieving. I always feel like I should be taking care of someone and when I’m not I feel lazy. Trying to remind myself that I need to take care of myself too.

So far I haven’t read a book yet this year either but, I’m ordering “A Tale of Two Cities”. One of my favorite classics. I decided that is what I will start with. I have a copy in WA but now I guess I will have two.

I’ve tried so hard to get into reading using a tablet or laptop but I just can’t. I’m set in my ways and enjoy the feel of a book in my hands and turning real pages. What about you?

• jen-cueva

January 9, 2024 at 2:36 pm

Hi, @Colleen; you are doing precisely what your body tells you. Yes, you are a caregiver; that’s you. But you must take care of yourself, too. You need time alone to be “lazy” and be with your emotions. You have been so busy taking care of everyone else and staying busy that you haven’t had time to grieve Brian.

Staying in your room, watching TV, and resting are things I know you need lots of, my FWW and friend.

Reading on my iPad or Kindle is something I’ve also tried. But I’m like you, old-fashioned, I guess. There’s nothing like the feel of the book on your hand. You could take that time to be lazy and read. You need and deserve lots of downtime.

• jen-cueva

January 10, 2024 at 10:48 am

As mentioned, I am sharing my plan for 2024. It’s less about making resolutions, though. You can read it with the link below.

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/columns/wondering-how-prioritize-self-care-2024-my-plan

Please give it a read and share your plan for 2024 below. Let’s talk about it!

• Colleen Steele

January 11, 2024 at 6:16 pm

Wonderful column @jen-cueva ! I love how you started with growth…that alone is a sign of growth, the ability to take a moment to focus on what has gone right in your life.

I can appreciate spacing appointments out when you can. When Cullen was seen at Stanford we didn’t have any choice but schedule everything in one week because of the long distance from our home. But once he transferred to the UW we started spacing appointments out. But you have to be careful doing that too because it can also make you feel like you are constantly going to appointments. It’s quite the balancing act!

• Randolph Reynolds

January 9, 2024 at 4:06 pm

Hi Collen or Jen: I hope that you both are doing better and that your expectations for 2024 will be met.

As for me I don’t make New Years Resolutions. Never worked when I was young except for one. Dec 31 1966 I resoved to ask my girl friend to marry me. I was expecting to be redployed to Southeast Asia so I was wondering what to do when my new orders came sending me back to the states. Eight months later we were married. Can’t beat that for a resolution.

Cheers to all

• jen-cueva

January 10, 2024 at 10:45 am

Hi @Randolph Reynolds, yes, that one-time Near Year’s resolution lasts a lifetime. That’s a huge win; it’s so good you stopped while ahead. Thanks for sharing that. Back in 1966 and still today, I bet your wife is grateful, too. (PS, you were proposing, and I hadn’t yet been born. 😏)

• Roger Bliss

January 11, 2024 at 6:01 pm

Hope to retire and wander around Alaska……do some fishing. Got some people looking at my trucking biz. Will get with them when I get back in the spring. I am just worried I won’t find enough to do to keep busy.

The goal was not to get covid anymore…..had it twice last summer. Messed up and got it now…..not very sick, but staying close to home. Hopefully, once the infusions start it will help my immune system.

• jen-cueva

January 12, 2024 at 10:30 am

Wow, @Roger Bliss! That’s an incredible shift coming from you. But I’m so happy to hear you want to sell the company and explore more about Alaska! Yes, I can easily see you becoming bored if you aren’t finding new things to occupy that time. No fear, I bet Mary Ellen will have a long list of “honey-dos” for you. 😂

Yes, and no more COVID! I hate to hear you have it again! Did they reschedule your infusions this week? Did Mary Ellen catch it, too?

Take care of each other. Thanks again for sharing your goals for the new year!

• Roger Bliss

January 12, 2024 at 2:57 pm

Yeah…….I know it is quite a shift. After 25 years I know pretty much everyone in the dirt biz. If I catch myself sitting around too much, wouldn’t be very hard to get a job.

She always has a honey do list, but gets the neighbors kid to help her. This is the 3rd time I have had covid since May. So far she she has never had it.

• jen-cueva

January 16, 2024 at 1:58 pm

Yes, I bet you will find ways to keep busy once you sell your company.

Manny may wish the neighbors help with my “honey-do” list. Mine is always ongoing, hehe.

Wow, that’s incredible that Mary Ellen hasn’t caught COVID, moreso because you have had it three times. Hopefully, she will continue to be COVID-free. Thanks for sharing, buddy!

• Rayetta

January 11, 2024 at 11:18 pm

I don’t make resolutions, but I do, however, come up with a word for the year. This year I have two words: resilience and self-care. I want to prioritize activities and practices that nurture my physical, spiritual, mental and emotional well-being. I also want to be able to bounce back from challenges and adversities by developing inner strength, perseverance and overcoming the challenges that I face. (I am already facing some challenges with my health this year).

• jen-cueva

January 12, 2024 at 10:35 am

HI @Rayetta, I love your words for the new year. I, too, am trying to prioritize self-care this year. We can work on that together, my PHriend!

I think you’re too hard on yourself, as we often are. You are more resilient and push through challenges with persistence. You mentioned some challenges with your health already this year. Would you care to elaborate a bit more about that?

Thanks for sharing, and know we are here to support you, my friend!🤗

• DeLois Tweedy

January 19, 2024 at 7:23 am

I don’t make resolutions, but I do give the new year serious thought abt what I would like to improve in myself. Last year I decided to start each morning being grateful. I stuck with it, and have continued into this year. Probably another thing that I want to do this year is take better care of myself. I have always been basically healthy in my eating and general daily living, but I find I cheat too much lately, or put off self-care for myself, etc. I would like to change that in 2024 and do better.