Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies What mask do you prefer for your BIPAP or CPAP?

• What mask do you prefer for your BIPAP or CPAP?

Posted by brittany-foster on February 5, 2020 at 12:21 pm

I have been put back on my BIPAP mask (which is more like a vent) at night. I was not able to use it prior to my heart surgery because I was having severe reflux and the mask can sometimes make the stomach distension or reflux worse the next day or overnight. I took caution and just didn’t wear it. But, I realized just how much I was benefiting from it when I was able to wear it off and on over the last month. It helped to improve my exercise capacity and exercise tolerance.

Once of the things that I am changing now, is the type of mask that I am using. Before, I would use the full face mask but they have suggested that I use more of the nasal mask with the nose prongs. I have to say that I really do enjoy this mask a lot more and it is a lot more comfortable for me !

What mask for your CPAP or BIPAP has worked well for you? Have you tried other ones before finding the one that you really like? Share the type of mask that works for you here!

brenda-denzler replied 1 year, 4 months ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • peter-g-pierce

February 6, 2020 at 11:45 am

Without question, Amara View by Philips Resperonics. When I moved from a C-pap to Bi-pap 5 years ago, I struggled with the clunky hard masks available here in Oklahoma Citythrough the regular suppliers. I was fitted with Amara View during a visit to National Jewish in Denver where they take the time to consider the comfort of the patient. I read before sleeping so can put on my headgear with the Amara View, put on my reading glasses and go until drowsing off.

• brittany-foster

February 6, 2020 at 1:07 pm

@pete I will have to look this one up! One of the things that I really like about my new nasal one that I was fitted for is that it doesn’t get in the way of reading like my full mask did too. It really has been helping me a lot with my sleep the last few nights and I am looking forward to getting even more energy from it when I am able to wear it more consistently. I also have the Philips brand Trilogy 100 vent and that is the better machine that I have used so far.

• jimi-mcintosh

February 6, 2020 at 10:27 pm

https://www.easybreathe.com/secure/images/products/14659.jpg Brittany check out the “Dreamswork”, one of the newest, moves with you, fewer headband adjustments. The Swiftfx for women should also be comfortable, comes with small, medium and large nasal pads

• jimi-mcintosh

February 7, 2020 at 1:23 pm

I have used over 20 different mask, trying to find the one that doesn’t slip, leak air or require adjustment all
    Night. Wish the mfg had a “try and buy “
    program, at an avg of $120 each it is too expensive to find it’s not right and it joins the other ones in the closet.

I alternate between the “dreamwear nasal” and
    The “swiftFX”, I purchased the dreamwear on EBay for $70.00 new. It is too expensive thru the supplier and an office visit to get it fitted and approved. Several companies allow returns

• jimi-mcintosh

February 8, 2020 at 9:48 pm

I have never understood why you need a script for a mask,CPAP Filters and hoses, all of which are disposable and should be readily available. I have had stamps to break on a weekend and it takes a week or more to get a replacement. The oxygen adaptor is a $1.00 plastic piece that can cost $20.00

One of my best finds was a new Swift Fx that had been donated to the Goodwill, $2.00. I shopped Letgo and Offer-up for an Oxygen Concentrator, slightly used. Stalking an Imogen portable unit and CPAP cleaner. I the day in my office and require my equipment upstairs too

• stephanie-mitchell

March 28, 2020 at 1:21 pm

I have a Trilogy 100 ventilator that I use for my MG and mixed apnea. I use an anesthesia mask with it. The circuit uses an active exhaust valve and the mask elbow is non-venting. The mask has an inflatable cushion that I find very comfortable and seals really well as my pressures are high.

• brittany-foster

March 29, 2020 at 5:36 pm

@stephanie yes, I remember you posting about the anesthesia mask . I could see why that mask would be more comfortable for you, especially when you are working with higher pressures. Probably less likely to spill out and not be as effective. Did you have trouble finding the right mask for you before you starting using the one that you have? I’m sure it took some trials and error to get to a good fit for you! It took me 3 masks before I found the right one and my pressures and settings are pretty low.

• stephanie-mitchell

March 29, 2020 at 7:26 pm

Brittany, I started using the anesthesia mask when I went on the Trilogy ventilator. Since the circuit I uses and active exhalation valve a traditional cpap/bipap mask won’t work. It was either order a special bipap mask without a vented elbow or as my RT suggested, try an anesthesia mask with is designed to be used without a vented elbow. I find it extremely comfortable and since it doesn’t have any forehead support structure, it’s easy to see and read with it on. Minimal blocking of your view, unlike a lot of other masks.

• jimi-mcintosh

March 29, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Please share a picture and model number, I have been looking for one that doesn’t leak and require adjustments all night

• stephanie-mitchell

March 30, 2020 at 12:03 am

• brittany-foster

March 30, 2020 at 7:52 am

Hi Stephanie,

Yea the blocking of the mask and my vision was something that really started to bother me. I like to be able to read at night, especially through moments where my pain or my anxiety may be higher. Having a book to read can be very calming. It’s not so calming when the bipap mask is blocking my sight though lol! But I’m glad that the one you found doesnt do that. Even though I have a fear of those masks, giving it a try in a different setting may be good exposure therapy actually!

• brittany-foster

March 30, 2020 at 7:53 am

Stephanie, I don’t think that the post showing the make and model number of your mask went through. Maybe try re-sending it? It is just showing up as a blank post from my end and for Jimi. Thank you! You are so helpful!

• jen-cueva

November 15, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Hi @brendad53, I thought you might find this topic helpful, too.

• brenda-denzler

November 15, 2022 at 4:07 pm

It is helpful, Jen. Thanks. I find it sad that CPAPs seem to be frequently used by PH folks. I really don’t want something on my face. I think it’s linked to an anesthesia fear–forcibly held down at age 5 and an anesthesia mask forced over my nose and mouth. I’m very resistant, now. I want another answer.