Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What Precautions Do You Take With Your Pets?

• What Precautions Do You Take With Your Pets?

Posted by Colleen on May 18, 2021 at 4:50 pm

Pets can have such a positive  effect on our mental health. We tend to rely on them as much as they rely on us. When we say that PH effects the entire family, I believe this includes our furry members. They can be a source of great comfort to us throughout the ups and downs of PH but they also need to be protected from the disease.

How do you protect your pets and medical supplies from each other? I wrote about this in my recent column, “Pets and PH: Furry Friends are Family Too“.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 2 months ago 5 Members · 39 Replies
  • 39 Replies
  • Susi Steppins

May 19, 2021 at 5:14 pm

Really great article @colleensteele.
    Your pets are all adorable and your cat looks like it rules the place.
    We have had a couple of mishaps with Oliver, our dog.
    But he is very smart and you can tell he just knows, as you said.
    Life wouldn’t be the same without him.

• Colleen

May 20, 2021 at 11:02 am

@s-steppins it really is remarkable how much animals can be in tune to our emotions and even our health.

I love the name Oliver by the way. What breed is he?

• jen-cueva

May 20, 2021 at 2:31 pm

Awesome column., @colleensteele. I cannot imagine the line as Sasha gets tangled in my oxygen sometimes. Most often, when I am getting back home after going to the labs, etc. She is just happy to see me and wanting kisses.

Your descriptions are on a point, and the added pics help, too. I thought of the movie, The Secret Life of Pets, lol.

Most of you know that we have Sasha, our mini schnauzer. She is a part of the family, for sure. She comforts me and takes naps when I do. She certainly picks up on my bad days. So, she is taken care of very well, spoiled, I must say. I bet yours are , too.

@s-steppins, I am happy to hear about your Oliver. Is that like Oliver Twist? I agree; IDK how my days would be without her. When she is at the vet or groomer with Manny, I feel like the place too quiet.

• Carol Volckmann

May 21, 2021 at 8:11 pm

Great topic Colleen. We know how important our fur children are in our lives. They offer unconditional love, emotional support and we make sure they are well cared for and loved helps us focus on their needs which in turn helps us turn our focus away from our issues.

I think I have been very aware of how careful we have to be with our meds and our equipment. Your story of Rosie especially gave me the chills. I do try to be really careful with my central line with our Golden Retriever, Spirit. Fortunately Spirit is one very Mello but you have heightened my awareness to be extra careful.

Thank you for a great article!

• Colleen

May 22, 2021 at 12:27 am

@jenc I also love the name Sasha. She sounds like such a sweetheart! I’m so glad you have her.

@cdvol3gmail-com we adopted Rosie about a month before Cullen was diagnosed with PH. We were pretty adapting to a puppy and Cullen’s central line at the same time. And Cullen was only 8 at the time so of course he was thinking when he got out of bed in the morning and didn’t have his line tucked in, that the dog might get caught up in it. I had nightmares about it for a long time.

I’ve never had a Golden Retriever but have always wanted one. We also had a senior dog Daisy when Cullen got his central line. She was a beagle/border collie mix. The combination of age and collie in her made her instantaneously intuitive and protective of Cullen when he came home with the central line. Never had a problem with her.

• jen-cueva

May 24, 2021 at 11:23 am

Thanks, @colleensteele; Sasha is a lifesaver. I don’t know what I would do without her all day.

Currently, with all of the rain, she is cuddled up under my comfy blanket, napping as I type.

This is one of the warm and fuzzy feel posts. I feel the love that each share bout our fur babies.

What about any other pets? Does any of our members have any exotic pets or pets that are not cats or dogs? Manny had an iguana a little while; I was not a fan.

• jen-cueva

May 24, 2021 at 11:18 am

So true, @cdvol3gmail-com; our fur babies are our children. They certainly know when one is not feeling well.

Reminding us to take excellent care of them is important. We must offer them the care so that we can enjoy them longer.

The central line is certainly one that you would not want Spirit to intertwine with. My oxygen is enough with Sasha. She almost chokes me, trying to say hi when I walk in the door.

Being aware of these mishaps is important.

• Carol Volckmann

May 22, 2021 at 9:52 am

It warms my heart Colleen that Cullen and your family have filled your home with fur children. It always amazes me how they become so tuned into us and our needs as Sasha does with Jen. We are very blessed. Enjoy your weekend ????????

• Colleen

February 13, 2023 at 5:53 pm

I thought I would bring this topic to the forefront again since we have 3 forum members @cdvol3gmail-com, @traceyaustralianmigration-co-za and @jenc dealing with the puppy phase right now. I might have another puppy in my life again soon too!

Ladies, do you have anything to share based on current experience?

• Carol Volckmann

February 13, 2023 at 7:17 pm

Know that they will grow into a loving, giving dog full of joy, love and gentleness.

Colleen I am thrilled for you, Cullen and family thinking about bringing that unconditional love back in to your hearts.

From the photo, looks like you had a golden retriever- Cloud is our 3 Golden.

Cloud has been a hand full unlike any of many dogs I have had over the years. We have to keep telling ourselves, he will grow out of being like a naughty teenager and he will.

Patients, consistency, lots of praise, positive reinforcing. Don’t let him/her win, know it is exhsusting yet at the same time fun, will make you laugh and they will melt your heart!

• jen-cueva

February 14, 2023 at 10:50 am

Hi @colleensteele, thanks for bringing this topic up again. I reread your column and found that I have been learning this all lately since bringing Zoë home. I told Manny on Day 2 that we need to “puppy proof” many areas of the condo. We did purchase a cute doggie gate to keep her on one side of the condo when I am in upfront, etc.

However, she hates my oxygen, and when we are getting ready for bed, I place it in the bed while I brush my teeth, etc. She had it on the floor and growled at it because of the air coming out. It was funny, but now she barks and growls at me when I wear it.

I was filling my pill box on Sunday afternoon and had Manny keep her in the living area. I have to be more cautious, so I don’t drop any of them. She’s so tiny it could kill her.

We are still learning since it’s been so long since we had a puppy. However, as @cdvol3gmail-com shares, she can be like a rebellious teen, not even three months old.

Yep, extra patience, a stern voice, time, energy, and lots of love and puppy cuddles. We also are trying to teach her these things as she is so tiny. She is sleeping all night and going out on the patio to potty. She can’t go on her usual walks outside our small area until her next shots.

Right now, she looks adorable; she is under my chair mapping before her breakfast. We also play several times throughout the day so she can get her energy out, which is a ton for being so darn small.

@traceyaustralianmigration-co-za, how’s puppy life going for you?

Does Cullen know what type of puppy he wants to look for? Or will it depend on which ones need homes? At least Cullen can do the training and play, for the most part. That’s exciting for him and your family, but it also gives him more responsibility, which I think he enjoys at his age.

• Carol Volckmann

February 13, 2023 at 6:55 pm

Protecting yourself and your supplies from your fur child – supplies, is easier as I make sure they are closed away safe. Protecting sites, IV lines, oxygen lines, ostomy sites is a different matter. Lines tucked in as much as I can and I loop the line then tape it down so if Cloud gets caught up in it or tries to pull on it there’s a little safety holding in place. For my ostomy pouch, when Cloud is on the bed with us I keep a pillow over my stoma site. Did the same thing when I had subQ. I guess my answer is I just need to be aware of what needs to be protected snd know where andcwhst our fur chikd is foing at all times- certainly teach no jumping up!

• jen-cueva

February 14, 2023 at 11:02 am

Excellent points, @cdvol3gmail-com, teaching them not to jump up at a young age and also, knowing what they are doing at every moment. This is where a crate is helpful for me. She goes into her house(box) for 15-30 minutes at a time, and when we have to leave her to run errands. I can’t keep my eyes on her 24/7.

@colleensteele, I didn’t remember the hamster story in that column. That’s a new one for me.

• Carol Volckmann

February 14, 2023 at 11:37 am

Puppy proofing our home is essential! Being a big puppy – 60 lbs- everything off tables, making sure we don’t leave our phones around or anything for that matter. We have already gone thru 2 crates in the bed room as he has grown so fast. One pen in the living area for nap times and time outs when needed. Lots of toys to play and chew on – those shart tiny puppy teath really can do a number. Sounds like a lot of work and yes it is but all worth it!!! Oh, forgot – electric cords!!! They love them, so for now they are not pluged in. What JOY ???? ????❤

• jen-cueva

February 15, 2023 at 2:10 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, yes, puppy-proofing is a lot of work! I thought it was done. However, we find things we forget every day or thought Zoë wouldn’t bother. She is tiny, about 3.5 pounds, so not as large as Cloud.

May I ask what type of playpen you bought for the living room? I know ours may be smaller but been looking at a few.

Thanks for sharing. 😀

• Carol Volckmann

February 15, 2023 at 2:59 pm

Hey Jen, we bought both Cloud’s pen which does not have a top and you can fold it to any size you want then we put a flat bed inside. We like this one so he does nit feel all closed in and still feel he is with us. He likes it so much we leave tge door open and many times now he takes himself in. We have also used it as time out and use those words – he knows the difference. At Zoe’s age it would be really good for nap time after she has played. In the bedroom Cloud’s crate has a bottom and top and I put a blanket over the top and a his sleeping bed inside. We got both these from Amazon and when we get home from shopping I’ll look it up and send the information. Puppy proffing is an on going process. Remember puppies Zoe’s age they eat/drink go potty, play – go potty and nap time – go potty. Zoe is smart and cute as a button and probably knows it. Cuddle time.????????❤

• jen-cueva

February 17, 2023 at 1:08 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, thanks for sharing the info about Cloud’s pen. We have Zoe’s crate, and she has a soft bed. However, I need something to “corral” her in when she plays, and I can get some thing done, LOL.

BTW, I did receive the pics. My apologies; I took off to decompress yesterday afternoon and didn’t check my emails until this morning.

I hope you, Dick, and Cloud have a lovely relaxing weekend. Stay safe. <3

• Carol Volckmann

February 17, 2023 at 1:16 pm

No worries – you need to take your time outs! Hehe. The pen is great as you can make as big or small as you like. Hope you like it.

We both had meetings with our Cardiologist and she feels we are both stable and doing fine! Love to hear that!

I see the orthopedic this week about my knee which seems to be getting a bit better.

We had folks over for a Dungeness Crab feast last night – no plans but to take it easy this weekend. Hooe you, Manny and Zoe will do the same@ ❤❤❤

• Colleen

February 17, 2023 at 3:22 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com I’m so happy to hear that you are both seeing improvement in your health!

Oh my gosh, I haven’t had Dungeness Crab in forever! I grew up near the Jersey shore so those feasts were common when we had friends over. Well, guess what I’m craving now!

• Carol Volckmann

February 17, 2023 at 3:40 pm

Colleen , Dungeness Crab right now is in season at a fair/ reasonable price – go for it!!! Growing up in New England, I could never get enough Lobster ???? ????

• Colleen

February 17, 2023 at 3:43 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com I just found out Aidan is coming home for a week, Feb. 21-28th. Maybe I will treat us all to it while he is home!

• Carol Volckmann

February 17, 2023 at 3:54 pm

PERFECT! Lay out the picnic table cloth, paper towels, finger bowles help and dig in and have fun! ????????????????????

• jen-cueva

February 20, 2023 at 12:43 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, thanks for the information on the puppy pen. I have Manny look into that, so we hope to have one later this week. As you know, puppies have quite the spunk.

I tried working with her next to me or going through emails. However, she likes to put her paws on my Mac and Ipad. Yesterday I was looking at a recipe, and she scrolled my page with her little paw. I was like, no, thank you.

That’s excellent news that you and Dick got positive reports from your cardiologist. Keep it up!

I’m also happy to hear your knee is better. I guess it takes longer to heal than we had hoped. However, I’m so glad you are seeing the ortho this week.

Oh my- crab! I love crab, most any type, but yummy those Dungeness! That sounds yummy and also like a fun time. I think @colleensteele and I should have crashed that feast.

I hope you recovered over the weekend, maybe by reading a new book.

• Tracey

February 14, 2023 at 3:04 pm

@colleensteele, there’s nothing like puppy breath to make you know you’re alive. Billy turned 6 yesterday, so I’ve been in puppy mode for the last 6 years. Billy and Abby were adolescents behaving like puppies when Enzo came along, he is 2.5 now and still very much a boisterous puppy. @cdvol3gmail-com, @jenc when I took Billy and Abby to puppy training the first thing I remember the trainer saying is, if you don’t want your shoes, phones, chargers, meds etc etc destroyed then learn to put them away. I haven’t learnt and regularly find my clothes outside on the lawn. A friend asked me the other day if I was having a yard sale ????. I used to go though multiple cannulas a day when enzo went through a phase of oxygen tubing being his new best friend. So with Enzo in puppy mode along came Onesie. It pains me to say that it has been a disaster. Billy is terrified of Onesie (don’t know why she’s maybe an eight of his size) and Enzo is head over heels in love with her. Billy unfortunately reacts by trying to eat Onesie, Enzo tries to protect her and then there is a bloodbath. Enzo is four times Billy’s size and Billy just fights and does not let go. We have had to keep Billy and Onesie apart all tbe time. The last time we tried them together the boys got in a fight that left them both bloodied and me traumatized. My caregiver decided then that maybe Onesie should live with her for a while. She absolutely adores animals so for Onesie’s protection she has been with Carole the last few weeks. Billy has his first session with a behaviorist tomorrow to try and figure out what is going on with him. Onesie has bonded to Carole, has a new nickname and probably doesn’t recognize me but we’re hoping that we can get Billy right and have joint custody of Onesie. So she’ll come to work with Carole on the days she works. It’s breaking my heart that she is just a few streets down from me but not in my arms. Someone asked me if I resent Billy for the way he’s reacted – absolutely not, it’s his home, his territory and I’ve disrupted his life. It’s funny he clicked with Enzo instantly so we need to figure out what the problem is with Onesie. Things don’t always work out the way we want them to, but we’re working on it and I’m hopeful. But it has been super stressful.

Ladies enjoy your babies sooo much while I work on getting mine. Just be mindful as you’re said about doggos jumping up on us. Somehow last night my head collided with Enzos hind legs, I was sitting he jumped across me to chase something outside but we ended up colliding. I was seriously dazed for a while. It was excruciating. I can’t even run a brush through my hair today, I think my skull must be bruised – I bruise so easily on these bloodthinners

Enough talk- love your babies, and take care of them.

• Carol Volckmann

February 14, 2023 at 4:27 pm

So sorry Tracey to hear about your problems with Billy, Enzo and Onesie. It does sound like Carole having Onesie could be one good solution. You said Billy is fearful of Onesie – might be jealous also. A fearful pup can and often do become aggresive because they are fearful – it is their way to protect themselves.

Wishing you positive outcomes all thecway around Tracey.

• Colleen

February 14, 2023 at 8:49 pm

@traceyaustralianmigration-co-za I laughed out loud about your friend asking if you were having a yard sale! That is really funny!

What you are going through with Onesie is the only reason Cullen is waiting until warmer weather to get another dog. Huskies play rough! That was hard on our Mellow but she somewhat got used to it. We worry about her being too rough on a puppy so we want to make sure they will be able to have plenty of outdoor adjusting in the beginning.

The mom in me is worried about your head. Please get it looked at if it is still hurting, especially since you are on blood thinners. Dogs really can do a number on your without meaning too.

It snowed here last night. At our house we call it “Husky Days” instead of “Snow Days”. Harmony had a blast but DID NOT want to go back inside. I finally got her on the porch and thought I was home free. Wrong! As I opened the screen door she latched onto my sneaker and tugged me back out onto the lawn and got into her play stance position. 45 minutes later I finally got her back inside!

• jen-cueva

February 15, 2023 at 2:29 pm

LOL, @colleensteele, I had to laugh at the thought of Harmony tugging at you to go out in the snow. Wow, 45 minutes is a long snow playtime!

Husky Days is cute!

• Colleen

February 15, 2023 at 10:59 pm

@jenc that was 45 minutes in addition to the hour before my first attempt to get her inside. LOL!

Today was vet check-up day for both Harmony and my cat. The cat got updated on his vaccines and Harmony was supposed to as well but we had to delay it a few weeks. She has a rash on her belly which she tends to get during her shedding phases. The vet said it’s an allergy and the poor dog has an ear infection. I had no idea. She wasn’t showing any signs of a problem. So, she is on meds to clear those up then in a few weeks she will get her vaccinations. Today cost more than I planned for!

Medical care is so expensive for pets. We have Care Credit but that bill is high now because we are still paying off Mellow’s care. What are your thoughts and experiences about the cost of vet care?

• jen-cueva

February 17, 2023 at 1:16 pm

Hi @colleensteele, that’s a ton of playtime. I’m grateful that our playtime is currently brief. I realize as she gets bigger, it will be longer play times.

Oh no, Colleen, that’s not good news for Harmony or your finances. But I hope this rash and ear infection resolves soon for her.

Manny said when he took Zoe, he forgot how expensive those vet costs were. It was $500 for her vaccinations and two visits included.

In Texas, our vet had puppy and adult dog programs. It saved us a ton with Sasah. It was $20 per month but covered all vaccinations, three pet visits in the year, and discounts on other things. Does your vet offer anything like this?

• Carol Volckmann

February 20, 2023 at 7:31 pm

Hi Colleen and Jen, I don’t see where I responded to looking at the costs involved with our fur children  – maybe I just didn’t see it. With our first Golden, River after spending mega dollars we bought pet insurance. We opted for Nationwide’s Major medical plan. Unfortunately that does not cover the routine visits nor vaccinations but after the deductible  it covered major surgeries and with Spirit our 2nd Golden, it picked up the total cost of emergency plus cremation. They also refunded what was left on the yearly contract. We now have Cloud insured by them.

On the subject of crabs 🦀 I think we have to get together and have a crab feast 😋

Tracy, I really hope t h e work your doing with Billy will pay off. Be patient, I am sure it will take awhile – thinking positive thoughts.

• jen-cueva

February 21, 2023 at 2:08 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, thanks for sharing Nationwide’s plan and your experiences with them. I was asked yesterday at the Vet if we had insurance for Zoë. It turns out that the plan Manny purchased was not “sick” visits,” so there was another $75, but it could have been more.

That’s great that they also refunded your remained of the year’s cost. We will check it out.

Yes, that crab feast sounds fantastic! Thanks, now I am starving! It is almost lunchtime.

Your message to Tracvey to be patient is true. Although, I need a bit of that myself with Ms. Zoe, LOL.

Enjoy the forest of your day, sweet PHriend.

• Carol Volckmann

February 21, 2023 at 5:33 pm

Our fur babies are such good therapy for us. As puppies they need/demand our attention all the time. They are work – they eat, need to potty, they wake from nap, need potty, they play, need potty, their little sharp teeth – bring out the band aids, they grab anything and everything and run. All of that and more – they will learn and so will we … unconditional love,  always be at our side, always knowing when we need a bit more loving, they will be there. I have to keep reminding myself, they need us right now to be patient, consistent and loving even when I am frustrated and exhausted. I also need to take a break so pen time is good.

Little Ms Zoe and Mr Cloud and all those other pups will get there my sweet friend. Sending you puppy 🐶 ❤️ and kisses.

• jen-cueva

February 22, 2023 at 12:41 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, too funny that you mention our puppies’ sharp teeth bring out the bandaids. Oh boy, with my thin, fragile skin, Zoe is having a blast seeing how many bandaids I can use.

However, they do bring so much love and therapy to our lives. They are with it all at the end of the day.

She is napping now, so I tend to do things like when my daughter was a baby, like work and tasks while they sleep. Who thought moms could rest while babies, fur babies included, are napping? That’s when we take advantage and do tasks.

As you mention, sleep, potty, play, potty, eat, play, potty, and so on… I read that many pups sleep 22 hours per day, not this one or any we’ve had.

Thanks for the encouragement, as always, Carol.

• Colleen

February 21, 2023 at 4:37 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com thank you for sharing your experience with Nationwide. I’m going to pass this information on to a friend who has 2 dogs facing major medical surgery costs. I’m going to look into it as well and discuss with my husband.

• Carol Volckmann

February 21, 2023 at 4:59 pm

Hi Colleen, Nationwide’s major medical plan is very good but … they won’t insure pre-existing conditions so please let your friends know before they call. Unfortunately I don’t think any pet insurance will cover pre-existing.

Brian can go online and compare the various companies. We chose Nationwide for one there was no cost limit and their major medical really worked out the best for our other 2 digs with major issues.

We need to put that crab feast on the calendar  – we are ready!

Has Cullen decided on a dog/puppy yet?

Sending hugs 😊🐶❤️

• Colleen

February 21, 2023 at 5:09 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com thank you for the heads up. That is so miserable though that they won’t help pets with pre-existing conditions. Whether it’s for people or animals, the help that is available lacks compassion when it’s needed most.

• Carol Volckmann

February 21, 2023 at 5:51 pm

I know. Remembering not that long ago when medical insurance had life time limits and pre-existing conditions clauses. Pet insurance has not gotten rid of those clauses but once your fur baby is insured by Nationwide there are no lifetime limits and if they develop a condition after they are insured, they are covered. It has helped us but not perfect.

• jen-cueva

February 22, 2023 at 12:44 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, thanks for the info you shared with us all. I know several of us will benefit.

@traceyaustralianmigration-co-za, do they offer pet insurance in SA of any sort? Are the fees for fur baby healthcare expensive there? I hope you are having a better week and Billy is coming to visit, still.

• jen-cueva

February 15, 2023 at 2:18 pm

Oh, @traceyaustralianmigration-co-za, I’m sorry to hear about the problems with Onesie and Billy. It does sound like having Onesie with Carole is the best solution. You can still see Onesie when Carole comes to work. Will you keep them separated, then?

That was too funny about the yard sale! Puppies will latch on to anything on site and think it’s their toy. I had a kitchen towel rack on my under-sink cabinet door. Zoe can gran it and think it’s a toy. That towel rack is now empty and will be relocated.

Tracey, please get your head checked out. That sounds scary, and your being on blood thinners concerns me more. I’m sure it was not intentional; they don’t know.

Take care of yourself, and I’ll be getting puppy kisses and love here shortly. It’s nap time at the moment.