Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What self-care activities are you looking forward to as the temperatures increase?

• What self-care activities are you looking forward to as the temperatures increase?

Posted by jen-cueva on April 3, 2023 at 12:56 pm

Spring is officially here. I enjoy getting outside in fresh air as the weather warms up. The sunshine boosts our Vitamin D levels, and this helps elevate our moods after harsher winter days.

As the temps near you rise, what self-care activities are you looking forward to as the temperatures increase?

jen-cueva replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • DeLois Tweedy

April 3, 2023 at 9:22 pm

@jenc, I always look forward to warm spring days. I don’t get out much in the very cold weather, so being able to sit outside in the warm sun is so refreshing. As the temps rise, I enjoy sitting on my deck to eat breakfast and do my devotions. I have a lot of woods around, so have lots of birds (and squirrels and deer lol). Listening to their cheerful songs is uplifting and a reminder to me to be joyful, even when I don’t necessarily feel like it.

Another thing I enjoy very much is feeding and watching the hummingbirds. Sometimes they start to return in April so I’m already watching for them. They keep me busy making food for them!

I’m also looking forward to planting my herbs. There’s nothing like walking out my door and snipping what I need to cook in a particular dish. I also have perrienal flower beds that start to bloom and enjoy adding annual flowers to pots for pops of color on my porch and deck.

• jen-cueva

April 4, 2023 at 12:42 pm

Hi @deetweedy, yes, the warmer temperatures always are something to look forward to each year. You have painted a serene picture for me sitting on your deck. Reading about the songs of the birds and watching the squirrels and deer reminds me of sitting on the front porch of my late grandparents’ home. They also were surrounded by woods.

Hummingbirds always remind me of my late Pawpaw; he would do the same and feed them, like you.

Steeping out and snipping with your herb shears while cooking excites me. I’ve only done that a few times in the past in Texas. I hope our next place will have a bigger patio space so I can do the same.

Thanks for sharing self-care activities that most certainly would boost my mood. As I type, I’m in front of a window where the sun shines. I love the sunshine!

• jen-cueva

April 5, 2023 at 1:53 pm

As the temperatures warm, I enjoy sitting on my patio and reading or chatting with my neighbors. Some evenings we enjoy a glass of wine and chit-chat by the firepit.

Y’all probably know I enjoy riding my e-bike and heading to the beach or pool. But just taking Zoe for short walks and feeling the sunshine on my skin relaxes me.

Farmer’s markets also seem busier and have so much fresh spring and summer produce. I LOVE that!

All of these things I enjoy count as self-care in my book. What about y’all? Are you looking forward to being outdoors more?

• Paul

April 13, 2023 at 10:05 am

Just generally being outside.  Living in the NE, winters can be tough.  Trying to spend as much wake time as possible outside.  Love seeing the return of the birds and the roses coming to life.

• jen-cueva

April 13, 2023 at 1:16 pm

Hi @brooklyn, I can imagine with your NE winters, you are counting down to spring each year. Listening to the birds chirping and the flowers blooming is so refreshing. It seems something inside us bloom, too.

Just sitting and being in nature often is therapeutic for many of us.

What other activities do you do in the warmer months for self-care?

• Paul

April 13, 2023 at 2:42 pm

I love driving, all the time.  I hop in the car, sometimes with family or solo, go down to the river nearby and just watch.  Just observe.  Sometimes I fish, sometimes I nap.  Similarly, not far is the Atlantic Ocean, so a drive and beach time refreshes my soul.

• jen-cueva

April 13, 2023 at 5:54 pm

Hi @brooklyn, during the lockdown, car rides were my sanity. The water and being outdoors can be entirely relaxing and helpful to reset our mood.

I also enjoy sitting and looking at the water. Fishing can be beneficial, too, when you have the opportunity to “throw a few hooks”, as my late stepdad would say.

I’m a sunshine and beach gal! Taking a blanket and a book and leaving my phone off helps me reset and can be self-care. Journaling while taking in the sea air and sounds at the beach elevates my mood, too.

• Paul

April 13, 2023 at 8:35 pm

In reflecting on another post, I think making sure we enjoy each day, each other during this spring time.  We’ve enduring the winter months one way or another, loved ones are struggling with their health, and we owe it to them and ourselves to get out an breathe the sweet air.

• jen-cueva

April 14, 2023 at 5:22 pm

Hi @brooklyn, well said, my PHriend! Getting outdoors and breathing in the fresh air feels so darn good, too.

Let’s remind ourselves that each new day is a gift; let’s enjoy it!

• Paul

April 14, 2023 at 8:02 pm

Today’s self-care activity – nice walk along the river and fishing with the kids.  A daily reminder of my blessings.

• jen-cueva

April 17, 2023 at 1:06 pm

Hi @brooklyn; it sounds like a beautiful day with the kids. Your update reminds me of my late stepfather. He loved fishing and couldn’t go for about 6 months before he died. One of my favorite pics of him is him in his boat fishing with that Malboro in his month. I wish I could get him in his boat and give him that one last fishing trip.

Do y’all live near a river where you can walk and fish with the kids often?

What a tremendous self-care activity that was also fun for the kids. How many did y’all catch? Do you catch and release or keep them and cook them?

What wonderful memories the kids will have and blessings to hold dear to your hearts.

• jen-cueva

April 18, 2023 at 1:21 pm

I have been craving a ride on my E-bike. However, my body had other plans. As I recover, I m thinking about a beautiful sunny weekend ahead. This is my push to recover quickly to get that ride sometime this weekend.

Today, I’ll suffice for sitting on my patio soaking up some Vitamin D. Last week; the doctor suggested getting outside in the fresh air and Vitamin D to help my recovery. That’s the best RX I was offered.

• Paul

April 18, 2023 at 2:49 pm

Listening to my body has been the MOST difficult thing to adjust to my new ‘normal’ over the past ten years.  Yesterday was a fantastic day, long walk along the river then yard work (also work in-between).  Today, no such luck.  VERY tired and achy.  The e-bike sounds appealing, hopefully you can get on it soon!  Good luck today to everyone with your self-care activities.  Share!

• jen-cueva

April 19, 2023 at 1:28 pm

Hi @brooklyn; you’re not alone in the struggle to listen to your body. I believe most of us struggle with this at times. Some days, I’m better than others. It’s been 18 years for me.

It sounds like yesterday was quite a productive and active day for you. I’m sorry you are not doing as well today. This sounds like what I call “pay to play.” After a day or two of fun and keeping active, I’m down the next day or a few days. Will you take it slower today, knowing it won’t be as busy as yesterday?

Days like that are when I try to read or do something simple that I have been putting off. That may include binging on Netflix.

Yes, I love my E-bike. Riding for the first time was excellent, and feeling free, like a kid again. But I have a throttle when I am tired. Riding with my hubby, who enjoys biking already, is so cool. Would it be something you may want to check into?