Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies What Was You Most Recent Medical Oops Moment?

• What Was You Most Recent Medical Oops Moment?

Posted by Colleen on June 11, 2021 at 4:23 pm

Whether you are a patient or a caregiver, no matter how hard you try not to make medical mistakes, they will happen. You might forget to take a medication or take medications at the wrong time. I’ve known fatigued parents who accidently gave medication to the wrong child. You might forget to refill a prescription on time. And sometimes you might accidentally miss an appointment or forget to scheduled one.

My son has timed labs he needs completed prior to a nephrology appointment on Tuesday. I scheduled it for this morning and both Cullen and I overslept! I was so embarrassed!

We called the lab and they don’t have that slot open again prior to Tuesday. Called nephology, explained and they said he can have it done on Tuesday before the appointment. They just won’t have it to review and discuss that day.

Then we had to call lung transplant because they share lab results and were also expecting them.

Neither of the offices were upset…said it happens. But I get upset when things like this happen. When it comes to caring for my son I don’t take making mistakes lightly.

How do you deal with mistakes like these? We aren’t the only one they happen to, right?

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • jen-cueva

June 14, 2021 at 11:13 am

Oh, Colleen, please allow yourself grace as you do others. I, too, have made simple mistakes, as you mention. Actually, labs have been something that I forgot and then have to wait until the following week.

Now with them only taking appointments, it is easier because I plan the labs that I know a week or two in advance most often.

We all slip on something.

Last year, I tossed away a newly refilled bottle of Manny’s medication instead of the old bottle. I thought the pharmacy shorted us. Then I remembered. Oh, crap moment.

We had to call the pharmacy and explain and pay the full cost because the insurance would not cover it again. I felt horrible.

• Colleen

June 14, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Oh Jen, your oops experience would make me feel better if I only I can’t relate at this very moment. Cullen will run out of a BP med this week. I went to order it but it says it was already delivered. Where did I put it?!

• jen-cueva

June 15, 2021 at 9:45 am

Oops, oh no, Colleen. I have been there. The worst part was having to pay for it. IT was a BP med, too, for Manny.

I like you, thought that I had put in under the cabinet where I keep refills not needed yet in one basket and discontinued meds that are not yet expired, another. So you never know when we may need those again.

I hope you locate that BP med. Be gentle with yourself.

• Colleen

June 15, 2021 at 5:23 pm

@jenc found them late last night! I tore the house apart. They were the last place I looked of course. We have a bench by our front door. Aidan purchased a new part for his car and put it on the bench until he has time to tackle the project. Out of exhausted desperation I lifted one of the parts and there was the mail order bag. Aidan brought it in from the porch, forgot to tell me, then his stuff got placed on top of it.

Oh well, chalk it up to being human. Just relieved I found them! It was a 3 month supply of BP meds! Ack!!

• jen-cueva

June 16, 2021 at 10:28 am

Aww, I am so happy that you found the BP meds for Cullen, Colleen. I know that you were exhausted after that long day and traffic, so kudos to you.

I think, as you mention, we are all human. But so grateful that you found the 3 month supply. Poor Aidan, he forgot, and I know he has been busy working and then working on his car, so he deserves grace, too.

I am so happy that you found them. I hope that you rested after all of that and your busy day.

• Colleen

June 16, 2021 at 1:15 pm

I wasn’t upset with Aidan, just relieved I found them. I couldn’t be mad at him when I suspected that I was the one who lost them. I know I’m capable of doing exactly what he did.

• jen-cueva

June 18, 2021 at 11:01 am

Well said, Colleen. You are so calm and laid back. I admire that in you, along with many other qualities. I, too, am so happy that you found them.

• Jill Upshaw

June 15, 2021 at 2:25 pm

I make lists and check things off and still miss or almost miss things. I think this becomes so much a part of our daily life that it just blends in sometimes. At first, everything stood out as an EVENT but that feeling quickly faded as I got more and more used to this way of life. It is not that these events are not important. They certainly are. Just blends in more. You needed the rest…..

• Colleen

June 15, 2021 at 5:30 pm

@upshtcx you make a good point! As complicated as our medical concerns are, caring for them does become a bit routine. We get set to auto pilot and that’s when oops moments happen.

Your Accredo story made me laugh! And so did your oops moment @auntlizzie. Oh, we try so hard to forget about PH!

• Jill Upshaw

June 15, 2021 at 2:31 pm

Well, last month I forgot my call from Accredo. They called me and it is someone who lives locally. I answered the phone in my gown. Then I told him that I forgot. He wanted to continue and I had to say no and reschedule. Not like I was just going to go to the link in my gown…….Oh well……..

• jen-cueva

June 15, 2021 at 3:50 pm

LOL, thanks for sharing that, Jill. I had to laugh as I picture you in your gown and sipping tea or coffee.

It reminded me of a few times Accredo calls, and we are driving, well Manny, my hubby is, and I do not answer. I say I am busy, I can call later. LOL, my hubby reminds me that he is busy, I am not, and also a reminder that it is called a “cell” phone” for that reason.

He had my dying laughing a few months ago with this scenario. It is not always the pharmacy, just an FYI. He says that I act as if I am tethered to a home phone cord back in the day.

Yes, forgetting is freedom when we do tend to forget the larger things, like PH. As you mention, it does become a part of our lives. Thanks for sharing, and I hope that you are enjoying some good days.

• Aunt Lizzie

June 15, 2021 at 1:42 am

My Ooops moment was today when being interviewed before my 2nd Pfizer jab.  Asked if I had any health issues I replied No.  Then at the last minute I remembered I have serious PH.   LOL

• jen-cueva

June 15, 2021 at 9:48 am

Hi Aunt Lizzie,

Yes, that was an oops, for sure. But they should have had that notated from the previous time, correct? I would agree, PH is a serious health issue.

Did you then remind them about PH? Or did they catch that? We all make little oops at times. We are human.

• Jill Upshaw

June 15, 2021 at 2:26 pm

That is good. Forgetting is freedom sometimes…….

• jen-cueva

November 2, 2021 at 2:11 pm

I thought of your post this last week, @colleensteele. I don’t know if it was the chaos and excitement of mobbing or what, but I mistakenly missed the total dosage of my Revatio a few days.

I only noticed on Saturday as I filled my new med planner. I usually take three pills 3 times per day. I know for a fact that Friday, I only took 2 pills, not 3. I was feeling out and feeling alright but did let my PH nurse in Texas know. I am hopeful that it was only that day and not the previous 2-3 days.

I had run out and needed to add that med to my planner as I opened a new bottle. I think that is where I screwed up. Does anyone else do this when waiting to fill your planner or for other reasons?

I could kick myself because I’ve taken pride in remembering my meds for almost 17 years. Although, now I have alarms and a pill planner box, hehe.