Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Our Community Weekly Wins What Wins Can Y’all Share This Week?

• What Wins Can Y’all Share This Week?

Posted by jen-cueva on April 10, 2020 at 1:33 pm

Happy Friday y’all, another week is coming to an end. The little things add up. Living with PH can limit us, but we can still tackle and celebrate the small stuff. What simple things did you accomplish this week? Maybe you made your bed every day, or perhaps you showered every day.

Being quarantined, I have found that I am in my PJs even more than usual. My thoughts are, why make more dirty clothes, right? Have y’all been getting up, showering, and getting dressed every day? If so, I give you kudos!

I did shower and wash my hair yesterday, which is a task for me. It was the first hair washing all week. I am a fan of dry shampoo, Hehe. I also did my yoga and stretching videos twice so far. I hope to do another one today. I also finished the book that I was reading. These are my wins so far. What about you?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 12 months ago 4 Members · 30 Replies
  • 30 Replies
  • Colleen

April 10, 2020 at 5:05 pm

To be honest Jen, no, I have not been getting dressed and all that, ever day. Yesterday I woke up with a bad headache and seriously lacked energy. I forced myself to shower, get dressed and I even put on make-up. My husband asked me where the heck I thought I was going. It was an attempt to rejuvenate myself and it worked. The gorgeous day we were having helped too.

Has anyone else been forgetting to get some fresh air? The sunshine felt like a hug when I went out to get the mail. It inspired me to sit on my porch for a while which is something I usually do but haven’t been lately. I think the pleasant change in weather is my big win of the week. The only downside is that I’m itching to buy flowers and start gardening, but I guess that is just going to have to wait.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

• jen-cueva

April 10, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Hi @colleensteele, you are so not alone. Yesterday as I mentioned in another post, I even shampooed my hair. I didn’t put on make-up, but I did an at-home facial.

Your husband sounds comical. Often, when I get dressed, and we have no plans, my hubby asks me that same question. Some days, which for me, is once per week, at a minimum, I must get dressed. It really does help me feel better when my hair and make-up are done.

That’s a big win, the sunshine, and nice weather. I hope that it stays with y’all. I try to get outside several times per day. I love to sit and do nothing or read on my back deck. The sunshine always is an added boost. On days when the weather isn’t nice, I don’t get out.

Here Lowes and Home Depot are open. I’ve seen so many posting of their yard work and flowers. Are they closed there? Do you also plant a garden?

Happy Easter to you and your family.

• kristine

April 11, 2020 at 8:59 pm

My accomplishment is pulling myself out of a state of depression. I walked my 2 dogs, and have started cleaning my neglected house, as anyone who knows what im talking about (everyone at some point). its the small things, that at times, can lift a much heavier load than you would think.

• kristine

April 11, 2020 at 8:59 pm

My accomplishment is pulling myself out of a state of depression. I walked my 2 dogs, and have started cleaning my neglected house, as anyone who knows what im talking about (everyone at some point). its the small things, that at times, can lift a much heavier load than you would think.

• jen-cueva

April 11, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Hi @kristine, that’s a huge win! Depression can quickly settle in with all that’s going on. Walking your dogs, getting outdoors, and cleaning your house certainly can help occupy your mind.

Please know that we are here for support. Keep on winning each week! It IS the simple, small steps that lift us. We can encourage one another. Hugs from Texas –

• brittany-foster

April 13, 2020 at 8:07 am

@kristine I think it’s wonderful that you are able to get outdoors, stay as busy as you possibly can and that you were able to do some cleaning too. I know that when I am struggling with depression it is hard to find that motivation to clean. I completely understand where you are coming from. Sometimes I get bursts of energy and try to get as much done as I can. But, sometimes that ends up really making me feel even more tired so I try to remind myself to pace myself. When I am feeling okay I tend to get a little “too busy” with my mind and body and just have the urge to go go go. Do you ever feel this way too? Or do others feel this way and understand what I mean when I say this? Especially those that are dealing with mental illness right now. This is a weird time . Hugs to everyone !

• brittany-foster

April 13, 2020 at 8:11 am

@colleensteele I have been to a lot of mediums and spiritual healers in the past and something that was always said to me was that I always need to make time for nature and for outdoors. They always highlight that part of me and I really feel that my spirit and my attitude change even when I go outside for a little. Even with the cold winter, I noticed that my seasonal depression that I experience really didn’t get as bad as it has been in the past. I really can say that getting outside with my dog and taking him for walks even in the cold sunshine helped my mood and my mental health a lot. I took advantage of the nice day that I had in my state yesterday and my puppy and I went exploring. My fiance is going to get me a fishing license so that I can go and just be outside with him and a few of his friends when they go. They usually go places where there are hiking trails nearby so I can get some exercise in while also being outside and enjoying time with him. It seems like something that would be good for me to do and he is the one that thought of it which was really nice.

• brittany-foster

April 13, 2020 at 8:17 am

@jenc today is one of those days that I am struggling to find some motivation. Maybe it is because I am feeling anxious about starting my TPN therapy and IV nutrition today. It is a really big day for me. With starting this I have been more worried lately because if anything starts to act up or if I start to experience severe enough or troubling symptoms then I will have no choice but to go to the hospital to be managed. I have been in contact with my pulmonary doctor at the hospital where I am receiving my care for this at Yale and he said that they seem to have things under control for the most part with the COVID patients so I am confident in them. But it is still scary at the same time knowing that the hospital is my option if I need that kind of care and management in the beginning when starting on this.

• jen-cueva

April 13, 2020 at 9:24 am

@brittany-foster, I so “get it” – referring to your message to Kristine. I certainly overdo most days once I start feeling better. I tend to overexert my mind and body some times, and then it sets me back even more.

Hugs to you @brittany-foster! I am sure that anxiety and worry are not helping. I think that you should remember, it is OK to focus on your TPN and IV nutrition. This is what is a priority for you right now. You have been stressing over this for some time.

By speaking with your pulmonary doctor, that sounds like positive news. I agree I would be more confident in them after that discussion. That will maybe decrease your anxiety, some knowing that is an option if needed. I am hopeful that all will work out fine. I know that your body needs this. Please never hesitate to reach out. Also, update us here as I know everyone will be waiting to hear from you, too.

• kristine

April 14, 2020 at 4:37 am

Brittany
    I also over do it and go go go both mind and body. Once my short lived energy burst is bursted (pun intended haha) it may take me a day or 2 to feel “normal”. I have no energy. I drink 5 hr. Energy shots a couple times week, just to get motivated. I know its the depressions hold on me that is responsible.

• kristine

April 14, 2020 at 5:10 am

Brittney
    I so relate to your aprehension regarding a hospital stay. I’ve cut myself a couple times through the years while preparing food. These mishaps have led to a visit to the er and getting sutures. It’s funny cuz now every time i work with sharp stuff i have a verbal conversation with myself regarding safety and not going to the hospital during this plague. But if you have to go to a hospital i think its safe to assume yale knows their stuff. I have a suggestion; a way to possibly alleviate the stress you feel about a hosp. stay, just realize how fortunate you are to be dealing with yale.
    On a side note my best friend works at the main hospital in pueblo. By the way this bit of info is for everyone. Our hosp. here has quarrantined 2 entire floors for victims of this plague. If u get admitted to the hospital for reasons other than corona rest assured all hospitals are doing this u wont have someone with corona put in the room next to u or down the hall. U also wont be cared for by the same person “example nurses” who is caring for corona people. Hope that helps.

• brittany-foster

April 14, 2020 at 10:00 am

Hi @kristine thank you for reaching out. I think it’s important to know that about the hospitals. I feel better when I know what is going on at the hospital and the procedures they have in place to deal with this. I was in the hospital in the very beginning of everything just starting and it was a scary place because I couldn’t have visitors and since I was suspected of the virus (thankfully it was negative) the nurse honestly barely came into my room to avoid contact. I don’t blame them, but still, the care was honestly super slow and really not that great. I could have been having a serious coughing fit and not one doctor checked on me for an entire day. It was my local hospital, so it wasn’t one of the better ones that I am used to. I hope now they are better and are helping the patients more. It was scary being a patient during a pandemic.

• brittany-foster

April 14, 2020 at 10:03 am

@kristine I know that everyone has been struggling mentally lately so you are definitely not alone in that. I posted the other day saying that I really am struggling to find motivation to work as much as I do during the day usually. I have a part time job but usually I work more hours to pass the time and get things done. It is hard being home though lately, even though I work from home anyways and it’s honestly not a huge break from my normal routines. I think I need to find the motivation and go for more walks during the day. The fresh air usually restores my energy levels and walking my dog helps too. I have already been out twice with him today and I am feeling a little better than what I have been so I’m grateful for that today. What do you do to deal with depression during this time? How are you managing your mental health?

• Colleen

April 14, 2020 at 4:40 pm

@jenc before Covid hit the U.S. I noticed some beautiful hanging baskets of petunias (my favorites) displayed outside of Lowes. They were a deeper purple than the usual shade I see. I held off getting them because we were still having a lot of cold weather. Now I wish I got them! Since I have to take Cullen out for labs on Thursday maybe I’ll run by there and see if they are open.

I just mentioned to my husband last night that I can’t believe that I have never attempted a vegetable garden. My dad always had one and I loved helping him with it. You would think as an adult I would have made my own. The closest I have come to it is the upside down hanging tomato plants (know what I’m talking about?) They did well on my porch. I also did big barrels of raspberries and strawberries. They were just about ready to be picked but I wanted to wait one more day. The black lab we had at the time decided they didn’t need an extra day and methodically ate all of the berries off the vines! Aww, she was a sweet girl. I couldn’t be mad at her but I haven’t tried it again since then.

I do plant flowers out front and I’m looking forward to doing that soon.

• Colleen

April 14, 2020 at 4:44 pm

@kristine I do believe that cleaning can have a positive affect on emotions. With all the time I have had lately I’ve still been putting off areas of the house that need some TLC. I think you just inspired me to tackle them this week. I know I will feel great when they are finished.

• brittany-foster

April 15, 2020 at 8:18 am

@colleensteele I have a high sensitivity to different kinds of touches and have had this issue most of my life. Certain clothes I can’t put on my body, when I feel a pimple or something growing I obsess over it and can’t leave it alone util it’s gone and end up picking at it because of the feeling of it. When I had a wart as a child I went back and forth to the doctors just so they could try every method to remove it. Anyways, long story short, doing gardening is definitely something I always loved seeing my mom do because it makes her happy and she does a really good job at it. but, when I tried it myself all I could think about was the dirt on my hands. I have strange urges to rub my fingers together while dirt is one them, it’s the same urge I get when I have my feet in the sand I have to rub my toes together and feel how weird it feels. Like I said, I think it’s a sensation issue! I also think I have undiagnosed autism to be honest! In all seriousness. I was a special educator and I could completely relate to so many of the students I had!

• jen-cueva

April 15, 2020 at 10:52 am

@kristine That is helpful information that you share about your local hospital. I know that most hospitals are trying to keep patients separate. But, in some hard-hit areas, this is not the case, sadly.

In regards to the crash after your little burst of energy and cleaning, this is so normal. I often overexert myself one day when I think I am feeling better and then pay for it for several days. I learned to pace myself a tad better but still a work in progress.

• jen-cueva

April 15, 2020 at 11:12 am

@colleensteele, I just told my hubby last week that I wish I had a few new tomato plants. I had mine in a barrel out back. They were grape tomatoes. I have always wondered if those hanging baskets of tomatoes really work. I am glad that you had a positive result from yours.

I would love to have some new spring flowers too, in the front yard, and in my other barrel in the back. The ones we had died from the summer heat. Oops.

I hope that you can get some pretty baskets of petunias when you get out. My Granny always had those on her front porch. They re beautiful plus it is a nostalgic thing for me.

• Colleen

April 15, 2020 at 1:34 pm

@brittany-foster there are days when I don’t get outside, for whatever reason, and it feels so good just stepping out for a moment to grab the mail. Cullen has been a bit mopey lately and I keep telling him he needs to go out and take a walk. Just like you I think it does wonders for the soul! My husband and I use to fish a lot but kind of got away from it over the years. However, Aidan frequently fishes with his buddy. It’s a great way to relax and enjoy nature, even if you don’t get as much as a nibble.

• jen-cueva

April 16, 2020 at 10:30 am

@colleensteele, I am sorry to hear that Cullen is a bit mopey. I hope that he can find a boost by getting outdoors. Growing up, my family had a camp that we did quite a bit of fishing. It is peaceful, even if you are sitting there enjoying nature. I would always talk too much, imagine that -Hehe. I remember my Grandad telling me that I was going to scare the fish away. These are such great memories to cherish.

I am glad that Aiden enjoys fishing with his buddies.

• Colleen

April 16, 2020 at 4:24 pm

Thank you @jenc. His brother must have been sensing Cullen’s mood change too. Aidan came home from work yesterday, showered and changed then asked Cullen if he would like to go for a drive. I noticed that Cullen didn’t hesitate. They were gone for quite a while just driving around with the windows down. Cullen seemed in much better spirits after that.

• jen-cueva

April 16, 2020 at 6:21 pm

I love that @colleensteele! I know that for me, drives have been my saving grace to speak. What a remarkable gesture from his either, Aiden to take Cullen on a drive. I’m sure that was helpful for Cullen. Hopefully, you’ll see a little boost soon in him. Maybe sunshine will pop up and he can enjoy some outdoor time soon.

Has it been warm enough there to grill yet?

• brittany-foster

April 17, 2020 at 7:19 am

@colleensteele I definitely can understand what Cullen is going through right now. I have been sort of in a funk off and on this week too. I feel like everything is just “new” right now. It’s a whole new way of living that we are unfortunately kind of getting used to. That’s a big change, not having appointments is a change, starting a new nutrition therapy that is pretty intensive is all new. It’s just hard with so many unknowns happening at once. Makes me feel like I don’t have control over a lot which gives me stress and anxiety. I also get restored from being outside (even if it hasn’t been over 50 here in almost a week) way too cold for me and it actually might snow a little over the weekend which is the WORST part about April. Because here you get a teaser week of temps in the 60s and then it’s like “just kidding, here’some snow!” . It’s like the weather can’t make up its mind either. But I am glad that it seemed to boost his spirits and I’m sure he really appreciated his brother doing that with him. Even just going for a drive to grab ice cream with my mom and sister made my beginning of the week so much better! Usually I stay busy enough during the week to keep my mind on other things. It’s the weekends that have been challenging.

• jen-cueva

April 17, 2020 at 4:12 pm

Hi @colleensteele, did you get out to Lowe’s today? I was hoping that getting out, even for Lowe’s and a quick trip would be helpful for you both.

My win today was just within the hour as I was typing here, my “kiddos” stopped by. Of course, they were in their vehicle, and my hubby and I were on our driveway. I thought that I would cry when I first saw them, but I did not. I kept it in. I just wanted to run up and hug them. But, this is a huge win as I have not seen her in over a month. It was such a nice surprise. This certainly made my heart happy.

Page 1 of 2