Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions What's everyone doing for Thanksgiving tomorrow (if you celebrate?)

• What's everyone doing for Thanksgiving tomorrow (if you celebrate?)

Posted by Brittany Foster on November 21, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Hey all!
    Hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just a day away! Unfortunately, I will be spending my Thanksgiving in a hospital bed. I had an infection of the intestines called cdiff that happened April. I received a fecal transplant for it in August and was doing great. I woke up Monday and unfortunately, it’s back and worse.

I am unable to hold down food or drink much. I am relying on IV fluid and small bites of toast and dry snacks until the antibiotics kick in and until they can hopefully come up with a plan of action whether to do another fecal transplant.

My family will be visiting through the day so hopefully I always have some company around.

What is everyone planning to do Thanksgiving? Do you cook or bake? What are you making? what are you most looking forward to/least looking forward to? Make sure to ENJOY it!!!!!

Vanessa Vaile replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Vanessa Vaile

November 23, 2018 at 3:09 am

I’m sorry to hear about your hospitalization and the unfortunate timing, hoping for a positive outcome,

I survived a family Thanksgiving dinner with, hopefully, minimal sodium excess. Tomorrow’s weigh-in and the state of my ankles will tell. Although I would have passed 100% on dressing, a grandson made it, so a small serving was in order. What are people thinking when they say “lightly salted”? The gravy was low sodium because I made it.

It was also my first outing with the new oxy tank backpack — and a satisfactory one. So thank you for the recommendation. Also, wearing oxygen in a different environment means experiencing a different set of reactions. Instructive.

• Brittany Foster

November 24, 2018 at 9:55 am

I’m so glad you had some positive experiences and that your bacpack helped you have some more freedom! What a good idea to make the gravy so you knew just how much sodium was in it. Very smart thinking! What was your favorite part of your meal?

• VK

November 23, 2018 at 11:02 pm

Gotta love food-obsessive holidays that ruin or medically-necessary diets!

@brittany-foster – I’m sorry to hear about what happened and I’m following the situation on Insta. Please remember that someone who is literally full of sh*t will end up helping you out. ^_^

On another note, I’m supposed to avoid stress and finish my thesis at the same time, and avoid unhealthy sodium and carbs, so I’m perfectly happy I spent the holiday alone with my thesis and healthy food!

• Brittany Foster

November 24, 2018 at 9:58 am

Vk,
      Hopefully you were able to get a lot of work done on the thesis. I’m glad you were able to take care of your body too . People need that break! Some find it more comforting to spend time alone.

• Vanessa Vaile

November 24, 2018 at 3:00 pm

VK, isn’t “stress free thesis” an oxymoron? At least you’re not doubling and tripling down on the stress.

Brittany, that was more serendipity than smart thinking. I didn’t volunteer but seem to have become designated saucier. That may be because I make good roux and own a wire whip. This year I thought maybe not since I just start experimenting with low salt, but my son-law-law Duane (who has taken over turkey and organizing dinner) asked my daughter to pick me up early so I could make the gravy. A success and nobody could tell it was low sodium.

Best part– I could say Duane’s mother’s pumpkin pie, the cranberry mold (low sodium, snagged leftover to bring home) my grandson’s dressing or his watching me make gravy (his father’s idea) so he could learn how to make it. But I’ll go with the glass of red wine since those are limited on my meds … and my Friday numbers indicating I had successfully navigated the Thanksgiving low sodium obstacle course.