• What’s on Your Mind and How Can We Best Support You?

Posted by jen-cueva on October 5, 2020 at 9:52 am

It appears that this pandemic and challenges are here for a bit longer. It certainly has been a chaotic year, to say the least. Because of PH, we are not interacting as much in real life; it is important to check in on one another.

Many of you lived alone with your fur babies. Are you interacting with loved ones? I have noticed many of our members have not been on in a while. If that is you, can you share a little update? We want to be sure that everyone is safe and gets the support that you all need.

What’s been on your mind? Have friends, family or neighbors checked in on you? Do you tend to check in on others? Each of you are important, and we care about you. It s critical that we all stick together and help by supporting one another. How can we best support you?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    October 6, 2020 at 3:24 pm

Hi Jen! How are you? I just found out I am expecting my first Grandchild! I was surprised at first but I am looking forward to a baby in the house. My oldest son and his girlfriend are expecting the baby in March. So it gives me time to get use to everything. I do worry about being able to hold the baby and having enough energy to enjoy time with him/her. But I am excited! I don’t think I need support but I wanted to share some good news in my life! I hope all is well with you and everyone else.

• Colleen

October 6, 2020 at 4:02 pm

@shannon4jk a sweet baby is going to bring you so much joy! I am so excited for you!!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the good news with us.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    October 6, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Hi Colleen! How are you doing? Thank you! And yes I am already happy and the baby couldn’t come at a better time. I needed some happiness in my life. Babies are such a big blessing and yes lots of joy!

• jen-cueva

October 7, 2020 at 9:26 am

Congrats, @shannon4jk! How exciting to welcome your first grandchild. I am so excited that you decided to share that exciting news with us here. I bet by the time the baby gets here, you will be ready to love and enjoy having a baby around.

Do you think that this news also gave you a bit of a new mindset perse? I mean, like, a little push knowing that you have that new bundle of joy to look forward to? I have a PHriend who was depressed and not feeling her best. Her granddaughter is almost 2 now, and she wakes up every day wanting to kiss and love on that grandbaby.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    October 7, 2020 at 10:35 am

Hi Jen! Thank you! And yes it definitely makes me happy just thinking about having a baby around again after all these years! It’s a wonderful feeling. And it gives me some “pep in my step” lol and baby shopping ohhhhhh so cute! Have a good day! And I hope all is well.

• jen-cueva

October 7, 2020 at 12:03 pm

@shannon4jk, I look forward to hearing the stories. March will be here before we all know it. I am so excited for you and your family.

Thanks, I have an MRI this afternoon, but I try to do what I can and enjoy the good moments. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your week. I am happy to see you more. Does this mean that you have an improved on your mental health? -hugs from Texas

I just posted a big surprise in my column.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    October 8, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Hi Jen. How did your MRI go? I hope all
    is well. I loved reading your column and I love your new bike! Wow! That’s great. And I love the color of it. I hope you get to spend many days riding it. And as far as my mental health, I have good days and some very bad days. Sometimes I feel like asking my doctor for a antidepressant but do I really want to add another pill? And I am on high dose of steroids so it also effects my moods. It keeps me moving but it also causes mental health issues. I do the best I can. Enjoy your bike!

• jen-cueva

October 9, 2020 at 1:57 pm

Hi @shannon4jk, I did make it through the MRI, but I probably will not hear back until early next week as far as results. Thank you for asking. How are you this Friday?

Thanks, that color is along with my favorite colors. I love teal, blues, etc. that is why I have some clothes that will match it, hehe. I have not ridden this week yet. Today was planned, but we have a storm watch. So, I am crossing my fingers that we can ride tomorrow.

Oh yes, the steroids are the good and the evil at once. They work well, but the side effects often are not the best. WE wrote a post about this before. I will see if I can find it. As far as an antidepressant. They switched my anxiety med from Ativam to Zoloft, and I think it has offered some antidepressant results for me. Maybe you can mention this to your care nurse. It is only one pill at bedtime for me. It may help, and that is what we want, overall improvement in your quality of life.

Thanks again for your thoughts and kind words.

• jen-cueva

October 9, 2020 at 2:03 pm

@shannon4jk, here is the topic of prednisone that I was referring to. You are not alone. Does it also make you hungry? I know I made a topic on that, too. Prednisone side effects

• jen-cueva

October 13, 2020 at 2:16 pm

Hi @shannon4jk, how are you doing this week? I am thinking of you and hoping that things are better this week for you. We are here.

Also, @jenniferbeaty, how are things with your subQ concerns? Positive vibes are with you.

Also, @dawnt, I have not seen you this week yet, so I hope you are keeping busy working and with the horses.

Also, @traceyaustralianmigration-co-za, what is going on with you this week? It has been a few weeks since we have heard from you.

We are here for y’all so let us know how we can best support y’all through such tough times.

• Dawn

October 14, 2020 at 5:23 pm

Hi @jenc, thanks for asking about me. I’m doing ok, but having one of those periods where I feel really aware of things I used to be able to do that I either can’t any longer or that totally wipe me out when I do them. I have to remind myself of all that I can do still.

I have been keeping busy with work, and the farm. We unfortunately had a horse pass away last week, which is always difficult. This little girl, Pumpkin, I had a special place in my heart for. She was a sweetheart, and it was hard going to the farm last saturday the first time without her being there.

I saw your column about your new bike, I’m glad that you are able to enjoy riding again! Take good care Jen.

• Colleen

October 14, 2020 at 7:58 pm

@dawnt I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your horse. I always tear up when I hear about someone losing an animal because I know how much it hurts. I’m sure that has you feeling “everything” more deeply at the moment. Be kind to yourself during this sad time. Allow yourself to grieve both Pumpkin and the things you now lack the energy to do. We all need to take the time to feel our losses every once in a while. Reflecting on what you can still do is an excellent way to find balance between sadness and joy. Virtual hugs to you!

• jen-cueva

October 15, 2020 at 10:50 am

Oh @dawnt, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of one of your horses, Pumpkin. I love the name! I hope that you take the time needed because the horses mean so much to you. Your connection shines with them when you share your stories. I am sure this will take some time to grieve. As Colleen says, please be kind to yourself and know that we are here to support you.

Losing Pumpkin and also struggling with less energy can take a toll. I love that you continue to try and focus on all of the things that you can do. I am certain that this heartache will take some time. Allow yourself a little more grace right now.

Hugs and love are coming your way from Texas.

• Dawn

October 15, 2020 at 8:13 pm

@colleensteele & @jenc, thank you for your kind words and hugs and love. I’ve finally learned, at the young age of 61, that I have to let myself go through grief in the kindest way for me. But most importantly I have to go through it to be able to get to the other side of it. The only way to avoid the pain of loss is to not let yourself get attached and care. As much as losing each of the horses that have passed in my time at the farm has hurt, I wouldn’t trade what they each gave me & mean to me even to avoid the pain of losing them. I know I will see them again, when my time comes to pass, along with people so important in my life that have been gone for many years. I’m so glad they (animals & people) are healthy, whole, happy since their passing, just sad for me right now. As I told my dog Sophie when she became totally paralyzed, in our alone time before she was euthanized and while we stayed together as she left me, however long it is until we are together again it will seem like it was only 5 minutes apart. I choose to believe that, with everyone that I’m so anxious to see again.

Thank you both for your support. Hugs & love sent right back to you.

• Colleen

October 16, 2020 at 12:18 pm

@dawnt your recent response was so touching, I read it twice. You have a kind and gentle heart that I’m sure has made every animal and person close to you, feel special. Have a nice weekend, Dawn.

• jen-cueva

October 16, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Hi @dawnt, this just made me all warm and fuzzy. I can understand and respect this way of approaching grief. It is such a joy to know you and chat with those like you within the forums. You have a gentle heart, as Colleen says; I get that. Thanks for all that you contribute here, and take care of yourself.

Let us know if we can support you in any way- hugs from Texas.