Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition What’s Your Favorite Low Sodium Fall Recipe?

• What’s Your Favorite Low Sodium Fall Recipe?

Posted by jen-cueva on September 23, 2020 at 11:02 am

Can you believe that it is already Fall? Although this year has been chaotic and slow, the time is flying by. I cannot fathom the holidays this year, and they will be here soon.

Fall, for me, is a favorite time. I love the comfort foods of fall. If I did not live in Texas, I would watch the falling leaves and the crisp air.

Those of us with PH need some go-to comfort foods that are also lower in sodium. Chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorites. Although, I eat most sound and can enjoy them year-round. Just last week, I was not up to cooking or eating. So, I used my instant pot and made some chicken soup with veggies. I used a leftover chicken breast and any veggies that I had. My hubby ate 2 bowls!

I found this low sodium recipe for chicken tortilla soup that I plan to try in the next few weeks. What are some of your favorite fall comfort foods? Have you learned to make them with less sodium? Share your tips here.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jen-cueva

September 28, 2020 at 9:35 am

Are y’all not in the fall mood yet? I can understand as 2020 has been different. Do you have favorite foods that you eat as the temperatures start to drop? If they aren’t low sodium, maybe you can work on making a lower sodium version. This is what I do when I cook. It always seems to be an “experiment.” My hubby always seems to like the dishes that I have no clue what I added in, Hehe.

• jen-cueva

October 9, 2020 at 3:16 pm

So, because it is wet and nasty out, I cannot do my bike ride. I am just relaxing on the couch. But I came across this post and thought about the muffins that I have planned to make for a few weeks. Do you ever buy ingredients for a specific dish and never get to it?

I do this more often than not. Today, if I do not take a nap, maybe I will bake the apple cinnamon oat muffins with raisins.

What are y’all looking forward to cooking over the weekend?

• Sandy

October 11, 2020 at 2:34 pm

So when Fall arrives, as it is here in western NC now, I always think “squash”. It can be pumpkin, butternut, acorn, whatever. I especially like to roast butternut squash by cutting it in half, scooping out seeds, fill the cavity with a little butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and some chopped nuts. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes testing with fork for doneness. It’s delicious and it makes the house smell wonderful. Enjoy.
    And your chicken tortilla soup sounds terrific, Jen . . . I’ll be right over.

• jen-cueva

October 12, 2020 at 9:31 am

Wow, @sandydenn, this sounds amazing and screams fall! I have never bought a real butternut squash and cooked it., I am always a bit nervous. This sounds simple, and almost like I would cook a sweet potato. I love sweet potatoes year-round, so this reminds me of them. Maybe I will have you over for soup, and we can enjoy your yummy butternut squash, too. Doesn’t that sound like a great plan? Thanks for sharing, now I am hungry- hehe.