Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users What’s your favorite nasal cannula?

• What’s your favorite nasal cannula?

Posted by Stephanie Mitchell on March 18, 2020 at 2:59 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first post and I’m curious as to what everyone’s favorite nasal cannula is. I personally use the Hudson/RCI flared tip cannula. I like the longer flared prongs as they stay in my nostrils easily and keep the cannula from trying to rotate out of my nose.

It’s great to be a new member here with so many others for support. I hope to be an active participant.

Steph

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 3 months ago 10 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

March 18, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Hi Stephanie ! @stephanie any welcome! Happy that you already started a forum topics of your own. This is a great topic. I really like the nice cannulas from the hospital in Boston. I just got a few and always ask for a couple extra when I go for my appts in the hospital. The last time I stocked up on some though because we knew the virus was most likely going to prevent me from going there again anytime soon. But I really like the Hudson RCI brand too. Mine has the green base to it, does yours too? It is the softech kind! Very soft but more flexible when it goes into your nose. Definitely a good fit for me! Not as see through as some of the others on the face, but I am more about comfort ! If they made these nicer ones in bright colors I’d totally rock it. I could care less about it being smaller or less noticeable, as long as it is comfortable and does the job!

• jen-cueva

March 18, 2020 at 3:45 pm

Hi @stephanie, welcome. This is an excellent topic discussion. I use a smaller nasal cannula, and I know that we discussed that before. I will link that here too, in case you are looking for smaller cannulas.

I use a micro-cannula, it is made by Salter labs, style 1616. I am not sure if I have used a Hudson brand. With hospitalizations, I usually use my own. I wish I could find one that I liked that they use. Like Brittany, I would stock up when there- Hehe.

I love the idea of the different color ones; I would like to change those up to match my outfit when going out. – <3

When were you diagnosed with PH @stephanie?

• Kelli Warden

March 18, 2020 at 3:56 pm

I’m so glad you started this topic, it’s so hard knowing what canula’s are comfy.

• Stephanie Mitchell

March 18, 2020 at 4:03 pm

Brittany, Thanks for the warm welcome. It’s so nice to know that I’m not alone as I just begin my PH journey.

As for my Hudson/RCI cannula, it is clear and has a clear silicon nose piece and flared nasal prongs. Although I’m a new oxygen user, I’ve ordered samples of most all the nasal cannulas that I can find and so far, I like the Hudson/RCI flared tips the best overall. I guess my quest for the ultimate nasal cannula will always be in progress.

• jen-cueva

March 19, 2020 at 4:17 pm

So true @kelli-paige, finding a comfy nasal cannula is essential. It is always great to hear from others. Stephanie, this was such a great question. Thanks for sharing your favorite cannula so far.

• Kelli Warden

March 20, 2020 at 2:55 pm

I’m curious too where everyone orders their cannula’s from?

• Stephanie Mitchell

March 21, 2020 at 4:51 pm

Kelli, I find the make and model of cannula that I like and then do a search online for it. Most of the big online DME retailers have lots to choose from and can usually be found for less than a dollar for the typical cannula with a 7′ tube. Now, speciality cannulas like high flow and those with built in longer tubing will cost more.

• jen-cueva

March 22, 2020 at 11:09 am

Thanks for sharing, @stephanie.

@kelli-paige, I have also found cannulas that I like on eBay and Amazon if my oxygen company does not have them. Often, even if the oxygen company does not carry one that you prefer, they may be able to order it for you.

I know a long-term PH friend of mine, ordered like 50 of the ones she preferred on Amazon for like 10 cents per cannula. This was an incredible deal. As Stephanie mentions, some types may cost more.

• Stephanie Mitchell

March 22, 2020 at 2:43 pm

Kelli, what nasal cannula do you currently use and how do you get them?

• Brittany Foster

March 23, 2020 at 10:13 am

@kelli-paige Hi Kelli, My nasal cannulas I get from the hospital! I am usually in the hospital at least once or twice a month and I grab a few while I’m there. The nurses know the kind that I like too! They have a whole supply closet filled with them. But they should be ordered from your oxygen provider company or people even can order them online off Amazon! How do you order yours?

• Mendo Bruce

July 21, 2020 at 7:43 pm

My favorite cannulas come from Softhose.com . They are more expensive than most and many might feel they are not worth the extra money but they seem to have the softest nasal prongs of any of the cannulas as well as very soft tubing that touches the ears and face. Salter, Westmed and others have soft cannulas but their nasal prongs seem much stiffer.

Softhose.com also makes a model for narrow noses with the prongs closer together. They also have amazing “lay flat” tubing in 10-50 foot lengths

• jen-cueva

January 12, 2021 at 5:46 pm

Hi @mendo-bruce, it has been a while since you have popped in. How are you doing?

After my recent hospitalization, I came home needing oxygen at 5 liters 24/7. I had so many issues with my tubing. I knew that we talked about a flat one here but could not remember the brand. Mine came in a box called Drive. It is a lighter green than the usual and a 50 ft tubing, but it is helping. It is not flat, though.

I am grateful that you shared this info with us, very helpful. Anyone else tried any kink-free or flat for your oxygen concentrator?

• jen-cueva

July 22, 2020 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for sharing this information, @mendo-bruce. I had not heard of Soft hose before. I need to check them out. I use a small micro-cannula. I looked at their site and saved it so that I can go back and ask if they offer micro-cannulas, too. I think that is what you are referring to with the narrow noses. I have heard about lay-flat tubing but have not used any yet. Have you ordered it recently? I was wondering if they stock supplies and if shipping is fast.

We all learn from each other and their experiences. This is why this forum is such an awesome place to be. Thanks again.

• Mendo Bruce

July 22, 2020 at 4:17 pm

I have not ordered since Covid so I can’t attest to shipping times, back in early Feb., it took about a week to get my cannulas and tubing

• Denise K Thompson

July 23, 2020 at 2:17 pm

Thanks for this topic. I tend to buy cheap & on Amazon, but find the prongs can be set too wide for my nose. A soft & small is my go to & tend to buy the same over & over. The small circumference makes me think I’m limiting the o2 flow & would like to find a pliable, close set prong yet bigger delivery tube. Asking too much? Thanks for product names, I’ll search.

• jen-cueva

July 24, 2020 at 11:25 am

Thanks, @mendo-bruce, I will look into that soon. I am a bit preoccupied and overwhelmed lately with doctors. Do you ever feel that way?

@dinky1952, what is the name of the brand that you usually buy on Amazon?

• Denise K Thompson

July 24, 2020 at 1:07 pm

Jen Ceuva, westmed is the product name I buy the most. I tried to buy a flaired prong last night, but the only model available on Amazon required a business account to purchase. Don’t know what that’s about. I checked out medical supply sites, but I seem to be a slave to the free shipping with my Amazon account.

• Colleen

July 24, 2020 at 2:18 pm

Ah @jenc, I know you have had so much going on with doctor appointments. I’m happy to hear they are working so hard to help you but I know how exhausting it can be keeping up with an intense medical schedule.

We always referred to Cullen’s team as extended family, because they are so amazing and we love them, but also because it has sometimes felt like he was with them more than at home with his immediate family.

Hopefully soon there will be answers, a promising plan and a return to normalcy for you. Please have a relaxing weekend!

• anne

August 12, 2020 at 4:58 pm

I just get whatever pharmacare from Johns Hopkins. I didn’t think about more types of canulas. I’m going to ask for different types next time I put in an order.

Anne

• jen-cueva

August 13, 2020 at 1:26 pm

Hi @annefox,
    For those of us wearing oxygen, comfort is important. So, often trying different styles/brands, etc. can be beneficial. Let us know if you find any new cannulas that work better for you.

Are you on oxygen 24/7?

• anne

August 13, 2020 at 1:59 pm

yep, I’m on 24/7. BUT, I dont need very much O2 sitting (which is all I do day in and day out) but need 5+ when upright and walking — I huff and puff and heart rate goes up and O2 goes down. I can use 5 while walking/kicking in the pool with no problems.

• Melissa

August 14, 2020 at 8:16 am

I only use the ones from Salter Labs that are very soft across the face. 16SOFT is the order number.

• Mendo Bruce

January 12, 2021 at 9:43 pm

I ordered the lay flat hoses and 10 cannulas from softhose.com and they came in about a week.

I have also heard good things about the purple hoses they sell on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Resistant-Extension-BATTLER-SOLUTIONS/dp/B07T4SGYXF/

• jen-cueva

January 13, 2021 at 4:13 pm

Thanks again, @mendo-bruce. I have saved that link to their Amazon listing. How much were the ones that you ordered from them on their site? Was it more expensive?

I hope that you are doing well.

• Leslie Campbell

January 14, 2021 at 3:48 pm

Hi, a fascinating discussion of cannulas. I’ve just been using oxygen a couple of months and it never occurred to me that there might be different types of cannulas.

I will now start checking them out. Mine is for sleeping mainly. I would like to ask if anyone else has had a problem with nosebleeds. I have been having them since being on oxy, and attributed them to it, though it may be from a from the meds I’m on for PAH, Adempas one of them.

Thanks for sharing personal experience, nothing compares to it. Leslie

• jen-cueva

January 20, 2021 at 12:42 pm

Hi @leslie, yes, so many cannulas online that patients order for themselves. As far as nosebleeds, since I was hospitalized and came home, I had many nosebleeds. It can be caused by using oxygen and dryness. I use 5 liters all of the time now. I have always used Ayr nasal gel or spray. It helps the dryness. You can purchase online or at most large retail pharmacies.

I am not on Adempas currently but maybe within the next few months. But. I am certain that many of our meds cause bleeding issues. Are you also on any blood thinners? Did you let your PH team know?

Even sleeping with oxygen, you want a comfortable cannula. My oxygen companies use Salter labs cannulas, and I use the microcannula to better fit my small nose. Ask your oxygen company for several to try out to find the best fit.