Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Stephanie Mitchell
      Participant

Hi everyone. This is my first post and I’m curious as to what everyone’s favorite nasal cannula is. I personally use the Hudson/RCI flared tip cannula. I like the longer flared prongs as they stay in my nostrils easily and keep the cannula from trying to rotate out of my nose.

It’s great to be a new member here with so many others for support. I hope to be an active participant.

Steph

Brittany Foster
      Keymaster

Hi Stephanie ! @stephanie any welcome! Happy that you already started a forum topics of your own. This is a great topic. I really like the nice cannulas from the hospital in Boston. I just got a few and always ask for a couple extra when I go for my appts in the hospital. The last time I stocked up on some though because we knew the virus was most likely going to prevent me from going there again anytime soon. But I really like the Hudson RCI brand too. Mine has the green base to it, does yours too? It is the softech kind! Very soft but more flexible when it goes into your nose. Definitely a good fit for me! Not as see through as some of the others on the face, but I am more about comfort ! If they made these nicer ones in bright colors I’d totally rock it. I could care less about it being smaller or less noticeable, as long as it is comfortable and does the job!

Jen Cueva

Hi @stephanie, welcome. This is an excellent topic discussion. I use a smaller nasal cannula, and I know that we discussed that before. I will link that here too, in case you are looking for smaller cannulas.

I use a micro-cannula, it is made by Salter labs, style 1616. I am not sure if I have used a Hudson brand. With hospitalizations, I usually use my own. I wish I could find one that I liked that they use. Like Brittany, I would stock up when there- Hehe.

I love the idea of the different color ones; I would like to change those up to match my outfit when going out. – <3

When were you diagnosed with PH @stephanie?

Kelli Warden
      Participant

I’m so glad you started this topic, it’s so hard knowing what canula’s are comfy.

Stephanie Mitchell
      Participant

Brittany, Thanks for the warm welcome. It’s so nice to know that I’m not alone as I just begin my PH journey.

As for my Hudson/RCI cannula, it is clear and has a clear silicon nose piece and flared nasal prongs. Although I’m a new oxygen user, I’ve ordered samples of most all the nasal cannulas that I can find and so far, I like the Hudson/RCI flared tips the best overall. I guess my quest for the ultimate nasal cannula will always be in progress.

Jen Cueva

So true @kelli-paige, finding a comfy nasal cannula is essential. It is always great to hear from others. Stephanie, this was such a great question. Thanks for sharing your favorite cannula so far.

Kelli Warden
      Participant

I’m curious too where everyone orders their cannula’s from?

Stephanie Mitchell
      Participant

Kelli, I find the make and model of cannula that I like and then do a search online for it. Most of the big online DME retailers have lots to choose from and can usually be found for less than a dollar for the typical cannula with a 7′ tube. Now, speciality cannulas like high flow and those with built in longer tubing will cost more.

Jen Cueva

Thanks for sharing, @stephanie.

@kelli-paige
      , I have also found cannulas that I like on eBay and Amazon if my oxygen company does not have them. Often, even if the oxygen company does not carry one that you prefer, they may be able to order it for you.

I know a long-term PH friend of mine, ordered like 50 of the ones she preferred on Amazon for like 10 cents per cannula. This was an incredible deal. As Stephanie mentions, some types may cost more.

Stephanie Mitchell
      Participant

Kelli, what nasal cannula do you currently use and how do you get them?

Brittany Foster
      Keymaster

@kelli-paige Hi Kelli, My nasal cannulas I get from the hospital! I am usually in the hospital at least once or twice a month and I grab a few while I’m there. The nurses know the kind that I like too! They have a whole supply closet filled with them. But they should be ordered from your oxygen provider company or people even can order them online off Amazon! How do you order yours?

Mendo Bruce
      Participant

My favorite cannulas come from Softhose.com . They are more expensive than most and many might feel they are not worth the extra money but they seem to have the softest nasal prongs of any of the cannulas as well as very soft tubing that touches the ears and face. Salter, Westmed and others have soft cannulas but their nasal prongs seem much stiffer.

Softhose.com also makes a model for narrow noses with the prongs closer together. They also have amazing “lay flat” tubing in 10-50 foot lengths

Jen Cueva

Thanks for sharing this information, @mendo-bruce. I had not heard of Soft hose before. I need to check them out. I use a small micro-cannula. I looked at their site and saved it so that I can go back and ask if they offer micro-cannulas, too. I think that is what you are referring to with the narrow noses. I have heard about lay-flat tubing but have not used any yet. Have you ordered it recently? I was wondering if they stock supplies and if shipping is fast.

We all learn from each other and their experiences. This is why this forum is such an awesome place to be. Thanks again.

Mendo Bruce
      Participant

I have not ordered since Covid so I can’t attest to shipping times, back in early Feb., it took about a week to get my cannulas and tubing

Denise K Thompson
      Participant

Thanks for this topic. I tend to buy cheap & on Amazon, but find the prongs can be set too wide for my nose. A soft & small is my go to & tend to buy the same over & over. The small circumference makes me think I’m limiting the o2 flow & would like to find a pliable, close set prong yet bigger delivery tube. Asking too much? Thanks for product names, I’ll search.

Jen Cueva

Thanks, @mendo-bruce, I will look into that soon. I am a bit preoccupied and overwhelmed lately with doctors. Do you ever feel that way?

@dinky1952
      , what is the name of the brand that you usually buy on Amazon?

Denise K Thompson
      Participant

Jen Ceuva, westmed is the product name I buy the most. I tried to buy a flaired prong last night, but the only model available on Amazon required a business account to purchase. Don’t know what that’s about. I checked out medical supply sites, but I seem to be a slave to the free shipping with my Amazon account.

Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

Ah @jenc, I know you have had so much going on with doctor appointments. I’m happy to hear they are working so hard to help you but I know how exhausting it can be keeping up with an intense medical schedule.

We always referred to Cullen’s team as extended family, because they are so amazing and we love them, but also because it has sometimes felt like he was with them more than at home with his immediate family.

Hopefully soon there will be answers, a promising plan and a return to normalcy for you. Please have a relaxing weekend!

anne
      Participant

I just get whatever pharmacare from Johns Hopkins. I didn’t think about more types of canulas. I’m going to ask for different types next time I put in an order.

Anne

Jen Cueva

Hi @annefox,
      For those of us wearing oxygen, comfort is important. So, often trying different styles/brands, etc. can be beneficial. Let us know if you find any new cannulas that work better for you.

Are you on oxygen 24/7?

anne
      Participant

yep, I’m on 24/7. BUT, I dont need very much O2 sitting (which is all I do day in and day out) but need 5+ when upright and walking — I huff and puff and heart rate goes up and O2 goes down. I can use 5 while walking/kicking in the pool with no problems.

Melissa
      Participant

I only use the ones from Salter Labs that are very soft across the face. 16SOFT is the order number.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account