Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health What’s your favorite "self care?"

• What’s your favorite "self care?"

Posted by brittany-foster on April 24, 2019 at 1:00 pm

Everyone deserves some time in their week or day to just hit the pause button, relax, and do something they want to do. Lately, I have been having to remind myself to slow down and take things easy. One of the habits that I recently have been trying to stop is biting my nails. This was always a nervous habit for me but oddly enough, not being able to eat by mouth has stopped me from biting my nails. So, to enjoy the benefits of having nicer nails, I stopped to get myself a manicure set. I found it very relaxing to just paint my nails on my own.

I never thought something so simple could be self care and help with my stress level. Other things that I like to do when I have some more time during the day is read and watch my favorite TV shows (recently I am getting into Game of Thrones: YES I have never seen it !).

What are some of your favorite self care routines? It doesn’t have to be anything major, just something that takes the stress away and lets you do something you WANT to do.

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • azebraman

April 26, 2019 at 11:54 pm

For me it’s cooking tasty but healthy food that’s compatible with my diabetic tendencies. A lot of people view it as a waste of time (especially given my sleep requirements) but I promise you that I am physically healthier when I have the time to cook for myself.

• brittany-foster

April 27, 2019 at 5:14 pm

VK,
      I agree that cooking is a huge stress relief and actually makes me feel like I’m “doing something” Lately I have been slacking in the cooking department mostly because I feel like I’m just torturing myself since I can’t eat any of it. But once my surgery is done I will have a lot of baking and cooking to catch up on and it will be a great way to pass my days when I’m recovering and “taking it easy”. My mom can be my assistant since she will be with me during this time too. But it always gives me a sense of accomplishment when I can make something nice for me and my boyfriend.

• jen-cueva

April 30, 2019 at 3:33 pm

VK,
        Cooking has always been enjoyable for myself as well. I tend to try and cook healthier for myself and my hubby on my good days.

Brittany,
        You’ll get back to it soon!
        I know on days I don’t feel up to eating much even my hubby says I shouldn’t cook for him, but as long as I’m feeling ok, I will. I’m sure you’re boyfriend is the same . It’s hard to cook and not be able to eat , especially when you enjoy yummy food like we do 😜

• brittany-foster

April 30, 2019 at 3:40 pm

It’s so good that your husband is so understanding of your needs! My boyfriend is too but sometimes I get in the mood to cook and do something even if I can’t eat it. usually when I cook for him it ends up being something I wouldn’t necessarily eat myself like a creamy pasta dish or something LOL. The high carb recipes and fun pizzas are fun to make but I always have to watch what I eat when I’m actually eating again because of the salt content and processed things in food. I try to eat more “clean” and then allow myself to splurge every once in awhile and I usually allow myself to have what I want when I go out to eat. I promised my sister “NO SALADS” will be ordered when I go out to eat after not being able to eat for so long LOL that’s the LAST thing I would ever crave and I used to love salads hahaha!

• jen-cueva

April 30, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Brittany,
    Congrats on stopping the nail biting! I bet once you paint your nails you feel better, too! As a kid, I was a nail biter, I was almost 30 when I finally stopped, lol

I tend to get manicures or pedicures every so often , when I can afford it. Other ways is a nice cup of hot tea, reading, or cooking when I feel good.

Looking at the water , even from my vehicle is also a great relaxing activity for me. I live only a few miles from
    the late and less than 30 mins from the beach . If not, I sit out back and enjoy the sunshine when it’s not too hot and humid or wet here .

• brittany-foster

April 30, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Jen,
      Here is New England weather we have had such a miserable April and I really hope that May is a lot better ! The trees aren’t even close to full bloom yet because it has been in the 50s and rainy and tomorrow is already MAY ! I love anything to do with going to the beach or the ocean and it definitely has a calming effect on me too. I have a beach house and in the Summer my family and I are lucky to be not even 1/10 of a mile from the beach. You can see it right out the door of our cottage. It’s beautiful.

I am glad I stopped the nail biting and I plan on treating myself to a manicure twice a month to keep them nice. I don’t want to get them done professionally before my surgery because they make you take off the polish! Pulse ox problems hahahaha!

• jen-cueva

April 30, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Brittany ,
    Lol on the No Salads, plus they do take a lot of energy to chew …😜 the pizzas and pastas are fun to make but when I make them I try and do healthier versions. They can be fun and yummy too, just adjusting it to your likings.

Yes , I , too usually try to eat healthier most days I do pretty good until the weekend comes, it seems. Haha

Ohh definitely wait until after the surgery for manicure, they definitely will remove it! I was so mad one time I just had mine done then I ended up in the ER the following day and they removed it off two or three finger nails!

Ohh I’m jealous of the beach cottage, I hope you get to go visit soon. That’s really close to the beac, the beach air and the water just does something positive for us 😊

• brittany-foster

May 1, 2019 at 8:31 am

I agree, Jen. The beach air helps me so much and I think it really does improve the breathing. Something about being at sea level and the salt and fresh air just helps! When it’s too humid, not so much LOL but it’s hardly ever very humid especially because there always seems to be a nice breeze right at the beach (and I can always take shelter in my little house there which is a plus!)

• jen-cueva

May 1, 2019 at 3:26 pm

Brittany,
        Having the cottage so near the beach is great as you can seek shelter inside and still feel the ocean air if you want and see it.

The water has always been relaxing and therapeutic for me.

• brittany-foster

May 1, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Same here, Jen! Where are you from again? It’s good that you are close by to a beach too. There is nothing like an open ocean in front of you. Really is calming especially when there are waves. I always loved that sound, especially at night from my house.

• jen-cueva

May 1, 2019 at 8:38 pm

Brittany,
        I’m on the Texas Gulf Coast , near Galveston. I prefer prettier less muddy beaches as I grew up in Southern Cali, so I miss those beaches! I haven’t been back in years, so excited that my hubby planned a trip for us to go to San Diego, later this year!

In the meantime, I try to enjoy the Lake and Galveston , when the water is not so muddy.

• brittany-foster

May 2, 2019 at 9:50 am

I know what you mean by the muddy beaches. There is nothing like the soft sand beaches !! I have never been to California but I plan on going to visit one of my friends and go to Harry Potter World this coming Fall! I am really looking forward to it and I know it will be beautiful! My sister went to San Diego before and she absolutely loved it. I heard the weather there is just amazing. It’s a good mix of not too hot and not too cold. That would be perfect breathing weather for me.

• jen-cueva

May 2, 2019 at 5:36 pm

Awesome Brittany, I bet the Harry Potter world will be Fun!

Yes, San Diego was the best I’ve been where I can enjoy the outdoors and breathe , all year long! Perfect temperature but so expensive to live, lol
        The water isn’t muddy , so I’m super excited to go back in September!

• brittany-foster

May 2, 2019 at 6:46 pm

Jen,
        Super jealous!!! San Diego is on my list of places I’d love to visit in vacation. I did hear that living there is very expensive and I’m sure it will be a pricey trip too! But well worth the money to save up for it.

• jen-cueva

May 2, 2019 at 7:02 pm

Aww Brittany,
        I can take you in my pocket, now, we would be the full circus act, lol

We lived in San Diego a few years when my husband was in the Navy, so I LOVE it there ! I can’t wait , I’ve had SoCal withdrawals lately , lol ! I’ll definitely take pics.

• jimi-mcintosh

May 2, 2019 at 9:22 pm

I love to take time out and play with my grandkids, whether it is toy cars, fire trucks, dolls or building play houses. We sometimes visit Goodwill, and other thrift stores looking for old
    Toys and games. Prior to my diagnoses, my wife and I worked with the park association’s cheer leaders.

I miss the daily walks, playing ball and catch. Other than that, I cook and repair things. I try hard to do something positive for someone else.

• jen-cueva

May 2, 2019 at 9:35 pm

Jimi,
      I’m sure playing with your Grandkids is a huge distraction and keeps you thinking positive and enjoying life! I’m sure they enjoy these times as well, making memories is my favorite hobby!

I’m sure you miss the physical activities working with the park. I always enjoy doing things for others, even the simplest things can make a difference in someone’s day! Helping others is a great way to lift ourselves as we’ll while we life them up ! Great job!

Thanks for sharing !

• brittany-foster

May 3, 2019 at 8:54 am

Jimi,
      Those are all great strategies to help with self care and to preserve your sense of purpose. Playing with you grandchildren must give your life a whole lot more meaning too. I know that when my nephew was born it was as if my dad became a completely different person and had this newfound energy to play outside with him. Now that he is getting older and can play sports it’s awesome to watch him learn and teach him hockey and baseball (both sports that I used to play). I can’t exactly get out there and skate too much with him or over exert myself, but I practice with him in the capacity that I can and it makes me feel good to do it.